Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:31:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  New York Times Best DVD's of 2003
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New York Times Best DVD's of 2003  (Read 9480 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2003, 03:57:24 PM »

Leone OUTITW & OUTIA among 2003's best DVD's

Full article with pic:

http://movies.nytimes.com/pages/movies/homevideo/index.html

In 2003's DVD Cupboard: Aliens, Astronauts and Alternate Endings
By PETER M. NICHOLS

Published: December 26, 2003

By midyear about half the American public still did not have DVD players, but the other half was grabbing up DVD's at the fastest rate ever for a new format. And it wasn't just movies the buyers craved; the appetite grew for extras: behind-the-scenes documentaries, commentaries, interviews, alternate endings, deleted scenes, trailers. Since one disc often couldn't hold it all, multiple-disc sets became commonplace, usually with the movie on one DVD and the extra features on another.

Plenty of room suits Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (Paramount), which unfolds slowly and rhetorically to savor the texture and rhythms of the great westerns Leone admired. Extreme close-ups, many of Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and Jason Robards, against vast backdrops distinguish a film that took way too much time (165 minutes) for Hollywood's taste. On a second disc Bernardo Bertolucci, who shares a story credit with Leone, says it was his idea to star a woman (Claudia Cardinale) in a western.

While there is no single "best DVD" this year, Leone's film could qualify, as could his meandering 229-minute gangster epic ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (Warner), released on two discs in June.......

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 01:59:14 AM »

By chance,I happened to be at the New York Times home page when I read this post.  Shocked

So I went and read the article concerned.When a reviewer for NYT,one of the most authoritative newspapers in the world,says OUATITW could be the DVD of the year,one should really feel pride over this great DVD of this great movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 06:56:51 AM »

Yea, and GBU was named one of the 10 best movies of 2003 in the NYT too, because of the re-released English Language version, I wonder if that makes it eligible for an Oscar?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 10:52:10 AM »

Yes,I moticed that too,both here in one post and then on the NYT web page.GBU really deserves and Oscar.And OUATITW!

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 02:07:52 PM »

It's too late, sadly. The art and genius of OUTW was only recognised 20 or 30 years later.

Now, OUTW is shown in cinema universities as a lesson of photography.

But even today those assholes of the Academy wouldn't be able to see the piece of art in front of them.

They prefer, of course, Titanic.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 04:01:47 PM »

actually, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST was shown at the NY Film Festival in 1980, ten years after its American release. It was used as an prime example  of why films needed to be preserved.
And TVGUIDE referred to its "arty photograpy" in the blurb during the initial American TV showing in 1971.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 04:06:41 PM »

oh, and as a sidebar.
The New York Times has been TOTALLY discredited as a reliable source of news or journalism during the last year. Many people in the USA refer to it as  an  "overbearing pretentious tabloid" now.

Editors were forced to resign, and retractions were being made, followed by retractions of the retractions.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 08:31:31 PM »

[oh, and as a sidebar.
The New York Times has been TOTALLY discredited as a reliable source of news or journalism during the last year. Many people in the USA refer to it as  an  "overbearing pretentious tabloid" now.

Editors were forced to resign, and retractions were being made, followed by retractions of the retractions.

Sorry visitor this is TOTAL BS, you sound like a conservative radio listener, the kind that get fed this stuff all day long. Nice try.

One editor (Harold Raines) as far as I know resigned at the NYT, over the Jason Blair fracus, and its still a newspaper that is still light years ahead of  most newspapers.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 08:32:54 PM by cigar joe » Logged

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 03:55:21 AM »

Sorry visitor this is TOTAL BS, you sound like a conservative radio listener, the kind that get fed this stuff all day long. Nice try.

One editor (Harold Raines) as far as I know resigned at the NYT, over the Jason Blair fracus, and its still a newspaper that is still light years ahead of  most newspapers.

two editors resigned-Raines and Boyd.

I don't listen to the radio, but I do read three newsweeklys and four newspapers on a regular basis

the TIMES and specifically Boyd and Raines were in trouble long before the racial Blair tragi-comedy, when they censored Pulitzer prize winning sports columnist Dave Anderson, refusing to run a column which opposed their Augusta National pro women stance.

Since the long hard fall, the TIMES appointed a STANDARDS editor(since they obviously had none) and an ombudsman(which most major news organizations had in place long ago)

In recent months, they've retracted stories on Arnold Schw., anti-war rally estimates,  polls stating  that Isreal is the main cause of conflict in the world etc etc.

All facts-you can look them up.  Then maybe you can retract the BS line.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 05:06:49 AM »

If you want indepth well written information go to the Times.

I'm not going to knock the whole for a few bad apples.

This line is just your opinion and in my opinion still BS.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 05:08:59 AM by cigar joe » Logged

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 01:15:02 PM »

...Many people in the USA refer to it as  an "overbearing pretentious tabloid" now.

The NY Times has always been "overbearing and pretentious" - you make that sound like a negative, but that's one of the pleasures of reading it.   Do you expect a US Senator to walk into the Capitol wearing overalls and awshucksin' it - hell no! You want him to be Brooks Brothered and Foghorn Leghorn blustery.  Their pedestal has certainly been rocked by what's happened, but they're still the paper of record in the USA and the most influential newspaper in the world.  

For a couple of 35-year-old movies to be placed by them in the year's top 10 (GBU as film release  and OUTITW as DVD) - hey, it don't get no better than that.  Wrap that in your New York Post and smoke it  Wink

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 01:36:26 PM »

It's too late, sadly. The art and genius of OUTW was only recognised 20 or 30 years later.

Now, OUTW is shown in cinema universities as a lesson of photography.

But even today those assholes of the Academy wouldn't be able to see the piece of art in front of them.

They prefer, of course, Titanic.

Yes,Titanic,LOL!  Cheesy

How do you know that OUATITW is used in cinema universities?And as for the art of OUATITW being recognised decades later,when it was first released and reviewed in the New York Times,the title said "Platitude on a Plain". Angry Christopher Frayling mentions this in one of the documentaries on the OUATITW DVD.

So not even NYT understood the greatness of the movie back then!  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 01:40:46 PM by Jupa » Logged
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 01:50:28 PM »

two editors resigned-Raines and Boyd.

I don't listen to the radio, but I do read three newsweeklys and four newspapers on a regular basis

the TIMES and specifically Boyd and Raines were in trouble long before the racial Blair tragi-comedy, when they censored Pulitzer prize winning sports columnist Dave Anderson, refusing to run a column which opposed their Augusta National pro women stance.

Since the long hard fall, the TIMES appointed a STANDARDS editor(since they obviously had none) and an ombudsman(which most major news organizations had in place long ago)

In recent months, they've retracted stories on Arnold Schw., anti-war rally estimates,  polls stating  that Isreal is the main cause of conflict in the world etc etc.

All facts-you can look them up.  Then maybe you can retract the BS line.

Is the resignation scandal the one where a reporter for NYT had invented interviews and therefore had to resign,after which some boss at the NYT resigned?(As a Finnishman,I haven't followed the scandal closely.)

The fact that NYT is owned by a Jewish family may explain why the polls about Isreal being the main cause of conflict haven't been published in the paper.

Furthermore,I remember that the made-up evidence about Iraq's nuclear projects wasn't reported in NYT when the news came out.I'm not sure if it was that particular piece of news,but something to do with Iraq,anyway.But I remember reading that other big papers too,such as LA Times and Washington Post,did not cover that.

But I STILL think NYT is one of the best newspapers in the world.  Smiley

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 02:09:50 PM »

Is the resignation scandal the one where a reporter for NYT had invented interviews and therefore had to resign,after which some boss at the NYT resigned?(As a Finnishman,I haven't followed the scandal closely.)

The fact that NYT is owned by a Jewish family may explain why the polls about Isreal being the main cause of conflict haven't been published in the paper.

You are correct Jupa, one of their reporters took a few liberties with some facts.  But everyone's in the entertainment business nowadays, and it made for a more interesting story.

And you are correct about the Jewish ownership conspiring to withhold the publication of anti-Israeli polls.  I believe the Elders of Zion have that listed as Protocol #4.  

It's also an open secret that the NY Times is solely responsible for fanning the flames of this sordid "metrosexual" craze.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 02:15:06 PM by General Sibley » Logged

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 06:00:48 PM »

You are correct Jupa, one of their reporters took a few liberties with some facts.  But everyone's in the entertainment business nowadays, and it made for a more interesting story.

And you are correct about the Jewish ownership conspiring to withhold the publication of anti-Israeli polls.  I believe the Elders of Zion have that listed as Protocol #4.  

It's also an open secret that the NY Times is solely responsible for fanning the flames of this sordid "metrosexual" craze.

good catch mi General. I didn't know about the whole metrosex  thing until my pet bird DAN RATHER pointed it out that he had read it in the bottom of his cage. I couldn't see it as it was covered by bird droppings by that time.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM