Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:27:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Silverado (1985)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silverado (1985)  (Read 14911 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

mybe hes like me an doesnt go out of his way to see a bad movie, jus ta find out how bad it is

i dont see or rent em if th subject dosnt intrest me, or if i hear bad sht bout em- wats th point of wasting 2 hours of yer life and yer money to see something ya know you wont like to begin with - id rather watch 1 i know il like or 1 i seen bfore an know its good

How about we were expecting to enjoy and we were disappointed by? Is it remotely possible that a film didn't live up to our expectations? Cheesy

This whole thread has been laughable, and quite baffling to me at least. TB is usually one of the more respectful and friendly members here, I don't know why he feels the need to go batshit just because some people disagree with him, on this thread in particular. Undecided

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:15:49 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

How about we were expecting to enjoy and we were disappointed by? Is it remotely possible that a film didn't live up to our expectations? Cheesy

This whole thread has been laughable, and quite baffling to me at least. TB is usually one of the more respectful and friendly members here, I don't know why he feels the need to go batshit just because some people disagree with him, on this thread in particular. Undecided

Groggy, what are you talking about? I still am being respectful, even more so still then some other member's. I'm not batshitting anything up as you say. In my personal opinion I just think some people here take this film the wrong way and that's how I feel. If you're not crazy about it, that's fine. Let it be.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »

Calling everyone who disagrees with you a nit-picking snob is respectful? Interesting definition you have. Cheesy

I don't see anything that can be gained from continuing this argument, though.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »

Calling everyone who disagrees with you a nit-picking snob is respectful? Interesting definition you have. Cheesy

I don't see anything that can be gained from continuing this argument, though.

Yes, I do think a few people here are snobs. That's just my opinion. And, I do not call everyone who disagree's with me "snobs." That's a bit to extreme, Groggy.  Cool

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »

Saw the movie today. The first third was promising, quite original with unrelenting rhythm. The movie starts to lose direction when the 4 arrive in Silverado. The problems are many. You don't have a well defined villain. Actually the villain is not defined at all, so you'rem induced to think that is Dennehy (great as usual in this movie) who is not that bad, though. And there is the problem of the actors. Cleese is a poor man's David Carradine: I watch him and think invariably about the other: am I alone there? He just can't be the lead.   So it should be up to Kevin Kline. Kevin Kline, you heard me. Come on... The Costner character is wrong from the starts, even if it was meant to be a parody. And it shouldn't have been played by Costner anyway.
And the movie it's too long, it tends to be too repetitive. I can't do without the kid(napping). A pity because the premises were good.
Still I want to take up CJ's opinions about the actors. CJ, the problem it is not that a stable of familiar faces got lost and not substituted. It's that the casting should be up to its task. How can you have Kline in a western at all? I laughed no end when I saw him duelling with Dennehy, was expecting to make some practical joke. The problem is that we are accustomed to Leone's casting, expecially of secondary roles, and that was rarely equalled in AW.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »

I assume you mean Scott Glenn and not John Cleese? Cheesy

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »

Yep, you're right.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »

After seeing various bits on tv throughout the years I finally watched this from start to finish, and I pretty much agree with titoli's 2008 opinion on this.

I really enjoyed the first 45 mins or so, it was an excellently paced, fun adventure journey/chase movie. While the action was over the top, there were clever bits - for ex the way the gang retrieved the stolen money from the settlers.

After the exciting start, the movie plods along and each passing scene grows more uninteresting. Klein's character all of a sudden isn't going to help his friends when he made all of the right choices for the first hour or so? To repeat what titoli said, there is no lead villain, even though Dennehy does the best with what he was given. The action in the last third was repetitive and is made of silly bits I imagine you see at an amusement park wild west shows, as opposed to something with some emotion or weight behind it.

Basically there are two 100 min films here. One, the chase adventure film where these four men's paths cross and they get involved in all kinds of shenanigans and make the decision to help others by chasing after something or someone. And two, four drifters brought to a town by fate decide to fight against the evil authority, or something like that.

Instead, we have a mishmash of both films, filled with odd coincidences and introductions of characters for plot convenience (ie Dennehy's intro) and nothing comes together whatsoever. I don't even want to begin to think what the inciting incident of this movie could possibly be.

6.5/10

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:21:19 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 05:17:57 AM »

A freakin' bore and complete waste of time, yet peculiar movie in that it shows you how on television everything looks better. That's probably how news work anyway.

I won't write much,  don't wanna tempt the destiny in case TB is still monitoring this topic: I agree with much of the laments written above, everything else falls in the category of preferences anyway...

Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Kevin Kline, John Cleese (and those other fellas):
1) in a W
2) together in a W
3) together in a 2 + hours W
4) together in a movie with Brian Dennehy
5) together in a movie with Brian Dennehy and cast playing against him
6) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5
7) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + billed on the top of him

I mean... Just how wrong can you go in just one attempt?

Merciful as I am, I give it a 4/10.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »

What is really interesting for me is the friendship between tall Kevin Kline and dwarfish Linda Hunt. There is a hint of flirtation going on in there as well. My mind boggles at the prospect of their friendship turning into a love affair.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM