Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:09:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Silverado (1985)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silverado (1985)  (Read 14892 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »

I recently viewed this for the first time, finally! It was much better than what I expected. For those of you who are so obsessed with "Tombstone", I think "Silverado" is a much more fitting tribute to the old classic westerns. I'm surprised to find that there was no thread for "Silverado" here. I think it's great fun.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

I found it rather bleh with a few good individual scenes.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »

I found it rather bleh with a few good individual scenes.

I think it's good old-fashioned fun.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »

Parts of it were good, but overall I agree with Groggy.  I saw it once and see bits and pieces every once in awhile on AMC, but it just doesn't hold my interest.  Kevin Kline, Danny Glover and Scott Glenn are good, but Kevin Costner seems out of place.  He looks like a little kid out of the 1950s dressed up as a cowboy with his gunbelt, much like CJ in his childhood pics. Grin

Something just didn't click here for me although its not necessarily a bad movie.  Average western, but I'll stick with good old Tombstone. Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »

I didn't care much for it either, Costner hanging around like an orangutan WTF was up with that? 

The thread that ran through every Western from 1903's Great Train Robbery to the early 70's was broken somewhere near the end of the 70's it seems. Every Western had elements of Westerns that came before, lots familiar actors, familiar faces, familiar locations. Each fed on previous Westerns.

With Silverado where were the familar Western faces? Only one Sheb Wooley from "Rawhide", and I don't even remember his particular part. In my opinion Kevin Kline, John Cleese, Brian Dennehy, Jeff Goldblum, just don't seem right belonging in a Western, they stick out like sore thumbs, they don't seem rugged enough too metrosexual. I don't think they know how to cast Westerns anymore.

Its the same way with "The Quick & The Dead" you had token parts for Pat Hingle & Woody Strode and everyone else just don't seem right, aside from Gene Hackman.

The stable for Western character actors is too thin.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »

I hated Costner's character, I agree there. I was definitely hoping he'd get wasted.

IMO the first hour or so was terrible. It seemed in the early sections like the sole point of the film was to pay homage to classic Westerns (cattle drives, bar fights, shootouts/duels, horse chases, etc.). Fair enough, but what's so inherently entertaining about that? Does Kasdan think that by reminding us of better films we'll forget how crappy this one is? I thought the second half was much better, as there was actually a plot to follow rather than a random series of shootouts, confrontations and chases. The cast was decent overall, though Costner sucked and I agree John Cleese's cameo was a joke, and not really a funny one either.

I'm pretty sure Wooley was the cavalry officer that Kline and Scott Glenn run into in that town towards the beginning. It's been a few years since I've seen the film though, so my memory's sketchy.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:01:11 AM by Groggy » Logged

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »

Some of you are nitpicking way to much when it comes to this film. It's a homage film, and it deliever's what it's supposed to. Like I said before, it's old fashioned fun. Leave your brain at the door and enjoy it and stop analyzing every single moment. I know film and this film is not terrible by no means.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

So it's our fault if we don't like the film? Is it just possible that we're NOT overanalyzing it, that it just isn't very good.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

So it's our fault if we don't like the film? Is it just possible that we're NOT overanalyzing it, that it just isn't very good.

No, you're overanalyzing it just like many of the member's here do with every other film and I won't mention names. I never said the film was AMAZING or a classic. I'm just saying it doesn't suck.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:19:02 AM »

Well I suppose it depends on what you're definition of Suck is, in the last 20 years tell us which Westerns sucked.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »

No, you're overanalyzing it just like many of the member's here do with every other film and I won't mention names. I never said the film was AMAZING or a classic. I'm just saying it doesn't suck.

No offense, TB, but you seem very reluctant to criticize much any film. I second CJ's question here.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »

I didn't look at it as "overanalyzing."  I was just pointing out the things I didn't care for about this movie, plain and simple.   Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »

No offense, TB, but you seem very reluctant to criticize much any film. I second CJ's question here.

See, there's where you're wrong. I don't like many, many films. The thing with me is, and I've mentioned it before, I don't talk much or post about films I don't like. That's just me. I don't waste time doing so. Most of the time when I watch a film I don't like, I don't post about it.

Anyway, westerns' the past twenty year's that have sucked. Well, there hasn't been many western's made. Here's a few that I've seen that have sucked off the top of my head...

Wild Wild West
American Outlaws
Brothers in Arms
Wild Bill
Wagon's East
Bad Girls

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

Yeah, but whenever somebody levels a criticism at a film you like you accuse us of being hypercritical or the like. Saying that you need to leave your brain at the door isn't much of a defense; it basically labels the film as stupid and unworthy of thought or serious consideration.

Panache
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »

mybe hes like me an doesnt go out of his way to see a bad movie, jus ta find out how bad it is

i dont see or rent em if th subject dosnt intrest me, or if i hear bad sht bout em- wats th point of wasting 2 hours of yer life and yer money to see something ya know you wont like to begin with - id rather watch 1 i know il like or 1 i seen bfore an know its good

almos ever time i see a movie i know nothin bout ahead of time, i get burned- an thres no point writing how bad it sucked, cause then ya wasted evn more time on it

Brokeback Mountain was up for a buncha awards, an got graet reviws, bt il nevr know if its any good, cause i don wanna watch 2 guys kissin(hope thts all thy do Grin- so i don always go by wat i hear

as fr Silverado, i enjoyed it, was it classic like Leone or Ford- no
 it was like Long Riders or Young Guns, a fluffy western design to get chix as well as guys into th theatre
i don thnk anyone would put it up thre wit Shane or OUTITW, bt it beats th hell outta bein forced ta watch Terms of Endearment wit yer ol lady

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM