Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:38:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD is available! Order your copy today!

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Charles Bronson's harmonica
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Bronson's harmonica  (Read 14331 times)
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:28:11 PM »

I don't know if this has been discussed before. Charles Bronson plays the harmonica several times during the movie, and there are only a few notes wheezing from his harmonica. However, anyone who has played harmonica knows that those sounds can only be played with a chromatic harmonica. To me, what Charles Bronson is playing is a diatonic harmonica, and in my opinion there is no way that particular harmonica could ever emit those sounds.
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »

And CB never really plays the harmonica, he just holds it in front of his mouth which can be sort of distracting once you notice it.  Never mind though, he's a badass. Cool

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »

I don't know if this has been discussed before. Charles Bronson plays the harmonica several times during the movie, and there are only a few notes wheezing from his harmonica. However, anyone who has played harmonica knows that those sounds can only be played with a chromatic harmonica. To me, what Charles Bronson is playing is a diatonic harmonica, and in my opinion there is no way that particular harmonica could ever emit those sounds.
That's interesting. If you can, post pictures of the two kinds of harmonica so that we can see how they differ.

So then we just wait for John Kirk to get into position, and then ... Dock, You Socker!
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:43:10 AM »

This is a typical chromatic harmonica (notice the button at the side)

http://www.aues21.dsl.pipex.com/images/BigJohnChromaticHarmonica.jpg

And this is a diatonic harmonica (no button).

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/images/meisterklasse.jpg

You can google the words chromatic and diatonic harmonica, and you will see what are the differences. But basically, the chromatic harmonica has a button on the side which allows you to play the normal major scale, and with the button depressed, gives you all the half steps or notes in between.

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/overview_dvsc.html

When I was a teenager (60s and 70s) I used to play harmonica. I started collecting records with Morricone Spaghetti Western soundtracks on the early 70s, and I have played the sounds of "The Man with the Harmonica" many times. Of course, I did so with a chromatic harmonica, as a diatonic harmonica do not have that capability.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:47:00 AM by Bandolero » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »

The thing to remember is that Harmonica is just playing what we hear Frank play at the end, that is what the characters in the film hear, like the German title translation which is  "Play Me The Song Of Death",  but WE hear Morricone's "music of the gods" superimposed upon it, hence we hear the chromatic harmonica.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:13:26 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:35:25 AM »

Good point, Joe. SL plays with diegetic and non-diegetic sounds in a way unlike other filmmakers. As a result, the audience really has to pay attention.

Bandolero, thanks for the info and the links. I always learn something new on this board . . .

So then we just wait for John Kirk to get into position, and then ... Dock, You Socker!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:59 AM »

The thing to remember is that Harmonica is just playing what we hear Frank play at the end, that is what the characters in the film hear, like the German title translation which is  "Play Me The Song Of Death",  but WE hear Morricone's "music of the gods" superimposed upon it, hence we hear the diatonic harmonica.
I think you mean "chromatic" at the end there, per what Bandolero has told us. Anyway, I've added an entry in the SL Encyclopedia on this subject drawing from what has been discussed here (I quote you, Joe, and amend chromatic for diatonic). The name of the new enty is Harmonica's harmonica.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »

OK - so just WHERE is that Harmonica today??  A good topic for "History's Lost and Found" show.

Like we all found out a few years ago at the Leone exhibition that Eastwood had the poncho, pistols, etc....
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »

you, Joe, and amend chromatic for diatonic

dj fixed it .

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
TheManFromWilderness
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:13 AM »

thanks  Bandolero, you are are right. Afro
I wish , I would like the get harmonicas's theme musical notes!!!I have not seen it anywhere Sad
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

You can do it with a diatonic, but you have to 'bend the notes'.  I gave the notes in the link below (irrelevant of key)

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=800.0

A diatonic will gve a wailing sound as you bend from one note to another.  A chromatic will shift from note to note a bit more sudden.  I also put in a bit later on about how to bend notes, but its hard to put into words.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
TheManFromWilderness
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

thank you very much , I will try it Cheesy
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »

You're welcome.  I've just seen in the same link that Marmota gives a link to another link that has the notation.  Funnily enough in that link I describe 'How to bend notes' in a different way; but I can't remember writing it even though it was a couple of years later.  Must've been on the meths

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »

Yeah i can contend to that. I used to have a little "Beginners" harmonica i got from a freind. I spent some time trying to get harmonica's theme right and i figured you have to bend the notes. The way i did it on my harmonica was by over-blowing or inhaling sharply. What i got was a much more diluted theme, but i got it none the less.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »

SO that's the reason why I am unable to play those sounds. I have two harmonicas (a smaller and a two sided, big), but none of them has the button. My father plays well, but he can't do it, too.

I adore that sound. It's like the wind screaming in a ghost town...

There ought to be a Western substyle to lolita! And various movie prints.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Support this site! Order Sergio Leone:
DVDs | Books | Soundtracks | Posters | Donate

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM