Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 02:22:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD is available! Order your copy today!

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Charles Bronson's harmonica
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Bronson's harmonica  (Read 14614 times)
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 02:14:50 PM »

Use the smaller one Jill, those big two sided things (I don't know the name of them) are impossible

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
manuel
Road Apple

They had a lot of weapons mister.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »

I think Bronson was a great choice for this role. Calm and collective.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 04:53:46 AM »

OK - so just WHERE is that Harmonica today??  A good topic for "History's Lost and Found" show.

Like we all found out a few years ago at the Leone exhibition that Eastwood had the poncho, pistols, etc....
I think we found it. Here is the link to an interesting recent interview with Franco De Gemini, the man who actually played the harmonica for OUTIW. It's in italian, but some interesting things are:
- He claims that long before OUTIW he proposed to Sergio to make a movie in which a harmonica would play an important role, to which Sergio apparently replied "That's a good idea, let me think about it!"
- The 3 notes were give to him by Ennio Morricone.
- In order to play the 3 notes, he had to use a harmonica with a piston and some of the scenes with Bronson were shot with this type of harmonica. Franco De Gemini during the shooting of the movie suddendly realized that this type had not been invented yet in that period, so from then on in the movie Bronson was given a normal harmonica (without a piston).
- For the arch scene, he was told by Ennio that he had to build in a false note, as the young Bronson was dying. He claims that in order to play the 3 tones with this false note, he had to build overnight a new harmonica and the next day it was ready. If you check  on youtube at 4:53 he plays the "correct" notes and immediately after the "dying young Bronson" notes.
Anyway, here is the link, which could be of interest even if you do not speak italian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2t_UJdplg8
Just one final comment. This short interview was shown on italian TV earlier this year: isnt'it amazing that all people who were involved in this film (and I mean not only the actors) still remember small details of the making of this movie after 42 years?! My feeling is that people who happen to witness the creation of a masterpiece somehow unconsciously KNOW that they have to remember as much as they can..

OOPS! Just noticed that Piribiriboing had posted this interview already some weeks ago: sorry about that Piri!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:31:09 AM by Leonardo » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »

Thanks for the head up anyway, I had not seen this link...
Awesome video!  Afro Afro Afro

Stanton when he sees a new D&D post.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

Research shows people don't care what you think

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »

Yeah thanks. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »