Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:26:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  When Satan Grips the Colt (Quando Satana impugnò la Colt) (1970)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Satan Grips the Colt (Quando Satana impugnò la Colt) (1970)  (Read 4222 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064633/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/satana_impugno_colt.htm

At italian SWDB they say the rhythm is slow. I didn't notice it. This movie kept me interested till the very last fotogram and it makes easily my best 30 list, in spite of having watched a tenth generation copy without some minutes of the beginning.  The story alone is worth the price of admission: revenge story with PLL getting married with Velasquez in spite of her father self-serving opposition. he's whipped by his father inn love, while his wife is sent to a powerful neighbour in exchange for favours. The girl decides to become a whore, while Lawrence is left to die in a desert.
Now, the story is good (i didn't notice the flaws in the plot remarked by the reviewer from Minneapolis at IMDB) but what may strike one is that Lawrence's training to become a invincible gunman (and the training is very interesting) is done for what I think is the first time before Pat Norita and Kill Bill, by an old chinese old instructor!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »

Did this ever have an international release?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »

You should ask the fella from Minneapolis at IMDB. Though I presume he saw the same spanish version I did, as he didn't seem to have well understood some plot twists. FC or Banjo can be of help about this.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »

but what may strike one is that Lawrence's training to become a invincible gunman (and the training is very interesting) is done for what I think is the first time before Pat Norita and Kill Bill, by an old chinese old instructor!

Maybe the first time in a WESTERN film, but this plot device had already been used in numerous Asian films prior to, as well as during the 1960's. Both of Chinese and Japanese vintage. A notable example would be Yueh Feng's THE BELLS OF DEATH (1968) about a man who unwittingly leads a group of bandits to his home only to have them slaughter his family and kidnap his sister. The man retrieves the bells clutched in his dead mother's hand and after learning the use of the sword from an old man, goes about avenging his family on the murderers and their gang (in addition to rescuing his sister) using the bells to herald his arrival.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:37:16 AM »

Maybe the first time in a WESTERN film, but this plot device had already been used in numerous Asian films

Of course: in an Asian movie you would have an asian instructor: if you had a non-asian instructor in asian movies would be remarkable, wouldn't it?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »

Of course: in an Asian movie you would have an asian instructor: if you had a non-asian instructor in asian movies would be remarkable, wouldn't it?

And there has been although this is sometimes played for comic relief but I tend not to pay much attention to these things lest it be done in an outlandish manner. But it's not really remarkable for an Asian to be seen in a western as there were Asians in the old west just as much as there were other cultures but I guess if you mean in terms of the film itself, and being an Italian one, than yes, I guess that would be unusual then.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:45 AM »

My copy is under the title of "MANOS TORPES".
Spanish language dvd.

Couldn't get into it.
I'll give it another try eventually.
I don't believe There was an American release but there was a cuban one (as with all Lawrence movies).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:43:58 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »

And there has been although this is sometimes played for comic relief but I tend not to pay much attention to these things lest it be done in an outlandish manner. But it's not really remarkable for an Asian to be seen in a western as there were Asians in the old west just as much as there were other cultures but I guess if you mean in terms of the film itself, and being an Italian one, than yes, I guess that would be unusual then.

What is remarkable is not an asian in a western, but an asian martial arts teacher. All the more so as here he teaches gunshooting. In True Grit you have a Chinese: what he does?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM