Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:19:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Requiescant aka Kill and Pray (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Requiescant aka Kill and Pray (1967)  (Read 10776 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »

I finally got to watch this and must change my opinion as this is a good SW, with good narrative rhythm, 2-3 gimmicks which make all of the difference with AW, good performances, pretty women. Only low points are some of the minor characters (Pasolini and his crew, basically) which are ridiculous to some who know them from their usual movies. Still this earns a 8\10.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »

Its a shame that Wildeast disc is now out of print and i having to make do with a widescreen video tape print. Sad

8/10 sounds about right.I'd have to watch both this and HILLS RUN RED to decide which is Lizanni's best sw.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

I prefer Requiescant (6/10) to The Hills Run Red (5/10), as the latter one is too simple, while the first one is bit too preachy, but generally more interesting.

Lizzani wasn't very interested in doing westerns as both films show, and Requiescant isn't as much hurt by this lack of interest (or talent) simply because it was made with the overall intention to be something like an anti-western, or at least only to use the genre to make several statements about society. Statements which could Lizzani also made in another genre.
But nevertheless all these "political" westerns enriched the SW a lot.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Requiescant is, to my surprise, a very good SW. Sometimes cheap (lower B half) looking, yes, but the directing is well calculated and executed, the performances are great in a over the top and slightly silly manner, and let's face it, the story is quite interesting. (Don't remember if there even was a score of some sort...) It's certainly not the greatest and most original Western story ever made, but the direction compensates it very well; sort of never looks behind, don't know how else to say it... They know their limitations but just keep rolling, when you think the fast rhythm is to fall the characters take over while the action is prepared again. Mark Damon kinda steals the show with his ''Southern aristocrat'' character, that hates women and leans to the fag side, lol. Lou Castel does a fine job as the lead, I don't know if his character was supposed to be that way but he does have that (as LA mentioned already) sinister-looking and creepy dimension. You kinda watch him throughout the whole movie and wait when he'll tick off and go berserk. ''You ain't fooling anybody with that face'' kinda thing.

I'd definitely advise anyone out there to watch it, especially SW fans.

7.8/10

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:07:57 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM