Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:57:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wild Bunch (1969)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Bunch (1969)  (Read 90941 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »

Well, it's a matter of taste, of course. They don't get it, they don't understand this one.

There are other films I don't get, but I know that others (whose opinion I respect) love them or like them, but unfortunately I don't.

Interestingly Leone has become a director whose films are liked meanwhile by nearly everyone. Normally not a good sign ... Wink
Hitchcock is a similar case. I would really like to read a new essay in which Hitchcock's film are bashed, or at least are viewed more critical than usual.

Keoma. That's one I did not like either for a long time. But meanwhile I see it much more positive (even if Nero's costume still looks ridiculous). 6,5/10

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:34:42 AM by stanton » Logged

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »

Well Leone is easy to love, even my ex-girlfriend saw all his past 1964 films and liked them very much. His style and way of working with sounds & Ennio of course... Very hip, high quality, timeless, always en vogue. And never too deep of course. Except for GIU LA TESTA & AMERICA - and those are the two Leone's not loved everylone Smiley.  Too many deep personal problems in those two, not so easy to digest Smiley.

Hitchcock is not on my Top 10 director's list. Fantastic director, but not one single film hit me on a deep emotional level. For some it's VERTIGO, which I understand and respect. But I'm not into creating a dream girl by myself, and surely not into necrophilia. (Great film nevertheless.). I guess my favorite was always his own personal favorite (as I recall) SHADOW OF A DOUBT.  I suppose I was never pervers enough to get really touched by some of his themes or obsessions. I love his work, but not as much as others, a personal thing I suppose.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

"Because it took Dave Jenkins 40 years to learn how to eat spaghetti";
Why drag me into the discussion? I didn't say a thing!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »

Hitchcock is not on my Top 10 director's list. Fantastic director, but not one single film hit me on a deep emotional level. For some it's VERTIGO, which I understand and respect. But I'm not into creating a dream girl by myself, and surely not into necrophilia. (Great film nevertheless.).
The greatness of AH is that you don't have to share a character's predilections in order to empathize with him. All of us have lost something/ someone we love. In Vertigo we see a man who is responsible for the death of another--the policeman--which must be a terrible thing to have to live with. Is there anything worse than that feeling? Yes, AH reveals, it's much worse to be responsible for the death of a loved one. Anything worse than that? Yes: to be responsible for the death of that same loved one a second and final time. Herrmann's music helps put the audience through the experience--we feel what Scotty feels. The emotions generated by that film are more exquisite than those in any other film I can think of.

Still, Vertigo is something of an outlier. The typical AH film is about a man on an adventure who meets a woman along the way; they solve the problem together, fall in love, live happily ever after. Pleasant, but rather bland. The really interesting films are the ones where AH makes you root for the villains: Strangers on a Train; Dial "M"; Rope. I don't have anything in common with the murderers in those films, but AH makes me wish I had (at least, while the films are unspooling).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »

Why drag me into the discussion? I didn't say a thing!

No, you said some pages ago in this thread that this is the Sergio Leone and Sam Peckinpah Board. I assume it was your usual clowning with absurd notions. Still it cannot go unnoticed and forgiven. Angry

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:48:26 PM by titoli » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »

Peckinpah: editing/montage; script/narrative
Leone: visuals/cinematography; music/atmosphere

Both very different; both equally brilliant.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:37 AM »

I assume it was your usual clowning with absurd notions. Still it cannot go unnoticed and forgiven. Angry
titoli is now the Spanish Inquisition! Welcome to the board in your new role! Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

titoli is now the Spanish Inquisition! Welcome to the board in your new role! Afro

"NEW role"?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 17, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »

Mussolini's grandson and the Spanish inquisition too?

I think Hitler was also his fourth cousin twice removed.

You should invite him on your next Weinerschnitzel excursion.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:49:36 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »

Mussolini's grandson and the Spanish inquisition too?
What was it Voltaire said about Satan? "If he didn't exist, he'd have to be invented"?

titoli is the Great Satan of this board. He doesn't post nearly often enough, so some of us are going to have to start doing it for him.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM