Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:58:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)  (Read 3962 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096071/

There are so few good movies that have voodoo as a central part of their plot so it was a surprise that this turned out to be pretty good. It gets very silly during its climax but I won't fault it for that because there are some impressive special effects and ideas to accompany the lunacy of the last 10 minutes.

Quentin Tarantino fans should note that he ripped the scene where Pullman is buried alive for his dissappointing Kill Bill opus. Of course, Mr. Tarantino would never let you know that.
7/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096071/
Quentin Tarantino fans should note that he ripped the scene where Pullman is buried alive for his dissappointing Kill Bill opus. Of course, Mr. Tarantino would never let you know that.
It's not what you rip off, it's what you do with it after you rip it off. I liked the buried alive sequence in Kill Bill, but I admit I haven't seen The Serpent and the Rainbow.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »

It gets very silly during its climax but I won't fault it for that because there are some impressive special effects and ideas to accompany the lunacy of the last 10 minutes.

I very much agree with this; while what precedes isn't bad nor spectacular, the final sequence in the torture house is a wellspring of horror ideas. The opening ground part was done particularly well, very good special effects.

Definitely worth a watch.

6.7/10

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:18:17 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

Definitely worth a watch.
Well, then: http://www.hulu.com/watch/67540/the-serpent-and-the-rainbow

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »

good find, Jenkins. I want to see this.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »

BTW, what is that Hulu thing? I thought from your previous posts they had only old (public domain) movies, turns out it's a video on demand service. How much are they charging?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »

you can't legally watch movies on hulu (with minimal commercial interruption of course).

I just watched this movie and it's pretty solid, I might have to re-watch Elm Street, it's been a long time. It drags a bit once the plot is established but overall pretty enjoyable, though had it been 75-80 mins, it would have been much better. While the last 10 mins. are ridiculous, it did leave me thoroughly entertained. I  agree with tuco and fc on the special effects, very impressive.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »

BTW, what is that Hulu thing? I thought from your previous posts they had only old (public domain) movies, turns out it's a video on demand service. How much are they charging?
It's not VOD because there are no downloads. It's free streaming video (with commercials).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 09:13:07 AM »

Yeah but, isn't that illegal? Short clips get removed from YouTube due to copyright claims and here they're showing whole movies for free? Don't they like chop off heads for that in the US?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »

you can't legally watch movies on hulu (with minimal commercial interruption of course).

you CAN watch...

sorry for the typo.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

Yeah but, isn't that illegal? Short clips get removed from YouTube due to copyright claims and here they're showing whole movies for free? Don't they like chop off heads for that in the US?
Seems they've cleared the rights for the US. They are promising to offer them for international audiences asap but nobody knows when that will be.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM