Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 03:40:34 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)  ( 4412 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« : August 03, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096071/

There are so few good movies that have voodoo as a central part of their plot so it was a surprise that this turned out to be pretty good. It gets very silly during its climax but I won't fault it for that because there are some impressive special effects and ideas to accompany the lunacy of the last 10 minutes.

Quentin Tarantino fans should note that he ripped the scene where Pullman is buried alive for his dissappointing Kill Bill opus. Of course, Mr. Tarantino would never let you know that.
7/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1 : August 03, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096071/
Quentin Tarantino fans should note that he ripped the scene where Pullman is buried alive for his dissappointing Kill Bill opus. Of course, Mr. Tarantino would never let you know that.
It's not what you rip off, it's what you do with it after you rip it off. I liked the buried alive sequence in Kill Bill, but I admit I haven't seen The Serpent and the Rainbow.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #2 : May 31, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »

It gets very silly during its climax but I won't fault it for that because there are some impressive special effects and ideas to accompany the lunacy of the last 10 minutes.

I very much agree with this; while what precedes isn't bad nor spectacular, the final sequence in the torture house is a wellspring of horror ideas. The opening ground part was done particularly well, very good special effects.

Definitely worth a watch.

6.7/10

« : May 31, 2009, 05:18:17 PM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3 : May 31, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »

Definitely worth a watch.
Well, then: http://www.hulu.com/watch/67540/the-serpent-and-the-rainbow

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #4 : May 31, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

good find, Jenkins. I want to see this.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #5 : June 01, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

BTW, what is that Hulu thing? I thought from your previous posts they had only old (public domain) movies, turns out it's a video on demand service. How much are they charging?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #6 : June 01, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

you can't legally watch movies on hulu (with minimal commercial interruption of course).

I just watched this movie and it's pretty solid, I might have to re-watch Elm Street, it's been a long time. It drags a bit once the plot is established but overall pretty enjoyable, though had it been 75-80 mins, it would have been much better. While the last 10 mins. are ridiculous, it did leave me thoroughly entertained. I  agree with tuco and fc on the special effects, very impressive.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #7 : June 01, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »

BTW, what is that Hulu thing? I thought from your previous posts they had only old (public domain) movies, turns out it's a video on demand service. How much are they charging?
It's not VOD because there are no downloads. It's free streaming video (with commercials).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #8 : June 02, 2009, 08:13:07 AM »

Yeah but, isn't that illegal? Short clips get removed from YouTube due to copyright claims and here they're showing whole movies for free? Don't they like chop off heads for that in the US?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #9 : June 02, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »

you can't legally watch movies on hulu (with minimal commercial interruption of course).

you CAN watch...

sorry for the typo.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #10 : June 02, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »

Yeah but, isn't that illegal? Short clips get removed from YouTube due to copyright claims and here they're showing whole movies for free? Don't they like chop off heads for that in the US?
Seems they've cleared the rights for the US. They are promising to offer them for international audiences asap but nobody knows when that will be.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines