Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:55:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  River of No Return (1954)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: River of No Return (1954)  (Read 4785 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:23:32 PM »

Matt Calder (Robert Michum), who lives on a remote farm with his young son Mark (Tommy Rettig), helps two unexpected visitors who lose control of their raft on the nearby river.

What's your thoughts of this Robert Michum/Marilyn Monroe western?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

Not bad, not bad at all, even Monroe was decent though they could have kept her in more tradional clothes those jeans didn't quite look right.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »

I couldn't swallow Marilyn Monroe in a western, she just didn't belong in the wilderness.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »

I couldn't swallow Marilyn Monroe in a western, she just didn't belong in the wilderness.

I actually think Marilyn was a lot better actress than people give her credit for. She's had some good performances on her resume.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

I actually think Marilyn was a lot better actress than people give her credit for. She's had some good performances on her resume.

Well yeah, no doubt about that. But I just couldn't associate her with the west.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »

Well yeah, no doubt about that. But I just couldn't associate her with the west.

Yeah, you do have a point there. I like her none the less.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

I love Mitchum; I love Monroe. I hate, hate, hate this movie. Why? I haven't time to count the ways, but here are a few of the elements that T me off: annoying kid, awful title song performed in ridiculous context, appalling rear-projection of background river as the raft sails along, lack of a strong villain . . well, it's just not worth my time when there are so many better pictures out there.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »

I love Mitchum; I love Monroe. I hate, hate, hate this movie. Why? I haven't time to count the ways, but here are a few of the elements that T me off: annoying kid, awful title song performed in ridiculous context, appalling rear-projection of background river as the raft sails along, lack of a strong villain . . well, it's just not worth my time when there are so many better pictures out there.

haha, well jenkins, it's pretty safe to say that you don't enjoy this film all that much.  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047422/

just saw "River of No Return" (1954) on Fox Movie Channel. Starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe. 5.5/10

waste of time. I counted at least 5 times where we have to endure Marilyn Monroe's singing; luckily I had dvr'd the movie so I just forwarded through those parts.

It's a shame cuz Robert Mitchum delivered a good performance, as did Tommy Rettig, the young actor who played Mitchum's 9-year old son.

CAST:

Robert Mitchum    ...   Matt Calder
Marilyn Monroe    ...   Kay Weston
Rory Calhoun    ...   Harry Weston (gambler)
Tommy Rettig    ...   Mark Calder
Murvyn Vye    ...   Dave Colby (prospector)
Douglas Spencer ...   Sam Benson (prospector)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »

I kind of enjoy all of Monroe's assets in this film. As a Western though its not that high on my list. Afro

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:20:21 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »

I knew there was a topic already. Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »

Preminger for my money is the most overrated director of the classic era, it shows here. It drags, like most of his stuff normally does. The MM perforance scenes are some of the best in the movie. There isn't all that much forMitchum  to do outside of being the somewhat weak working class stiff - he still manages to be cool because he's Robert Mitchum. I don't understand why he would be cast in something like that. They couldn't get Van Heflin?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »

I knew there was a topic already. Wink

but it wasn't in the index  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »

A 6/10 western.

Preminger is indeed a bit overrated in general. And RONR had indeed too much studio shots and there ain't much of a chemistry between the great as mostly Mitchum and the miscast Monroe. I remember that the look of the Indians was also a bit disappointing.

There was the potential for a much better film. I think the French liked it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:23:29 AM »

so let me get this straight: Rio Bravo has one musical interlude (featuring 2 songs) in 141 minutes, and so many of y'all whine about that. River of No Return has, according to my unofficial count, 4 musical interludes (featuring 5 songs) in 91 minutes, and none of you complain?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:34:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM