Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:44:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Inglorious Bastards (or "Basterds", however he wants to spell it) (2009)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards (or "Basterds", however he wants to spell it) (2009)  (Read 78371 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »

********SPOILERS ABOUND*********

So I watched this in its entirety and the old adage "stay true to your instincts" springs to mind. Funny thing was that I walked out on the superior half--turns out I saw 1:15 of the movie the first go-around. Hyperbole aside, this film is an all out disaster. I'm too lazy to write a review but:

In 2.5 hours we don't know any of these characters, really IB is just a collection of random, groovy scenes built around a fire in a movie theater.

Brad Pitt was terrible, this was really an awful performance.

The restaurant scene with the chick aka Adam Banks from the mighty ducks with long hair and the SS Guy was painfully long. The dialogue isn't terrible but for every clever line will accompany 3 minutes of random words that don't further the character or the plot.

For instance, the line about rats in the first scene with the SS guy and the dude who looks like Robert Mitchum; jew hunter doesn't state why jews are "rat-like" creatures nor characteristics of rats in how they hide.

Another problem with the opening: doesn't the girl speak english? Wouldn't she make an escape when the Mitchum looking guy says "yes".

The scene with Mike Myers is completely useless, just serves as an explanation--ie the useless final scene from Psycho--yet Brad Pitt's character is completely unaware of the reason for his men to masquerade as Nazis in the pub? Wat.

Why would the movie theater girl film her explanation behind the fire when there is a reasonable alibi for a cause of fire? Additionally wouldn't it make more sense for her to seek out the basterds or some resistance group instead?

when pitt's character is captured, why is the guy from punked and the office with him? where was he prior when he entered the building with the actress and the two basterds posing as italians? and where were the rest of the basterds during this scene?

and why the hell would the jew hunter join forces with the allies? on top of that, this is a fictional account of WW2, so the audience doesn't know the Germans current situation? how is this logical? And how could he trust Pitt etc etc etc? He is going to trade in his high ranking position for a little piece of land? are you serious? Why does he strangle the actress first? so he muders her for betraying his country, then betrays his country? why wouldn't he kill pitt then? THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL.

This film never exits the introductory state, it's basically 2.5 hours of exposition. We jump from set of characters to characters without knowing anything about them besides that they really hate germans or jews. The restaurant scene is painfully long, the audience is subjected to, what, 25 mins with characters we know nothing about and couldn't care less about. Why were 5-10 minutes spent with random German soldiers? Who is the person in this sequence holding it all together, to identify with? That can be said for the majority of the film.

I rambled too much, I don't want to spend any more time bitching about this lol.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »

All of that sounds about right to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »

********SPOILERS ABOUND*********

and why the hell would the jew hunter join forces with the allies? on top of that, this is a fictional account of WW2, so the audience doesn't know the Germans current situation? how is this logical? And how could he trust Pitt etc etc etc? He is going to trade in his high ranking position for a little piece of land? are you serious? Why does he strangle the actress first? so he muders her for betraying his country, then betrays his country? why wouldn't he kill pitt then? THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL.

Exactly.
The deal he made with the Allies was a stupid move.
In reality the Allies would have killed him after (or maybe before) they snuffed Hitler using his information.

+ What Groggy stated was true.
Killing Hitler wouldn't automatically end the war.
Himmler was still around.

I tried to explain this to a QT fanatic and his arguement was "It's all a fantasy".

what a crutch

It has to be based on some sort of reality.
And all these mistakes undermine the films' own logic.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

Definitely cheap justification on his part.

And groggs, great review. I agree with every word of it. Very well written.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »

I finally decided to watch it and had to force myself not to turn off the player at least 3 times. But as I give credit to the director for having made some good stuff in the past forced myself to the end. Tarantino's aim was (at least at the start) to deal with IIWW imagery the way action movies did both with American West history and contemporary reality. Good. What do you expect from an operation like this? Fast, ultra-exaggerated action scenes, witty dialogues, fast movieng plot. Instead you have the Tarantino treatment of long-drawn, inconsequential dialogues, no action scenes, overlong plot. Apparently, after having decided to make the spoof, he concentrated on the vicissitudes of the jewish girl and that didn't help to keep the structure of the movie as a whole and the whole Pitt's operation looks superfluous when it should have been the hinge of the story. So you have the story of the jewish girl keeping the attention and struggling to maintain it because you don't care for the character (at least, I didn't): not in a movie like this. And the "card" sequence with the mexican standoff? It almost put me to bed. As I wrote about DP, tarantino makes a short story long, this time without not even a small touch of brilliancy which could be found in the former movie, at least in the incident sequence. 2\10 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »

DVD Savant puts out a good defense of the film, although I'm not sure I buy his analysis. Be sure to read the comment at the bottom.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3082bast.html
Of related interest are these two just-published reviews by Glenn Erickson of other films:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3351die.html
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3337dayb.html

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

After so much praise for IB I have to say that I think this is really a masterpiece. Maybe even QTs best.

I have re-watched it on DVD and enjoyed every flawless second of it. 10/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »

Of related interest are these two just-published reviews by Glenn Erickson of other films:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3351die.html
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3337dayb.html

I'd really like to see Operation Daybreak. Savant seems a huge fan of Hangmen Also Die; it's cool to see that an uncut version is out there, but I'm not a huge fan of the film beyond it's totally awesome title.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »

After so much praise for IB I have to say that I think this is really a masterpiece. Maybe even QTs best.

I have re-watched it on DVD and enjoyed every flawless second of it. 10/10

Stanton - are the "extra features" pretty good?  I want to get the DVD for Christmas.  I saw the film in the theater and really enjoyed it as well.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »

I only have the German DVD. There are a some extras like the complete Pride of the Nation film and two more extended scenes. The German DVDs of Tarantino films were often in the beginning a bit short on bonus material compared to the US DVDs.

The German version runs btw a minute longer with one of the extra scenes included in the film.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »

I have the double dvd, alas, with lots of material I'll never watch.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM