Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:45:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Fall (2006)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Fall (2006)  (Read 4608 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman (Pace) begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm (Untaru), a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances.

Fans of the "Pan's Labyrinth" take notice. For some reason, "The Fall" did not get the world recognition "Pan's Labyrinth" did but it should have. It's a stunning, visual masterpiece that will soon be widley known. It's had a limited theatre release and I had the chance to see it in Los Angeles recently. It's been quite popular out here. The DVD will be released September 9th. Take note!

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

Read about the film here on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

DVD info:

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Lee-Pace/dp/B001BPJJ9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1218079632&sr=1-1

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »

I agree completely! Not only was it igored, but it was panned! This is definetely a movie of visual splendr, see it in theaters if you can. My only complaint is that the plot gets pretty silly sometmes, but I'll give it the benifit of the doubt, it has to be sily sometimes given its premise.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »

I agree completely! Not only was it igored, but it was panned! This is definetely a movie of visual splendr, see it in theaters if you can. My only complaint is that the plot gets pretty silly sometmes, but I'll give it the benifit of the doubt, it has to be sily sometimes given its premise.

I'm happy you enjoyed this Atlas2112. It was a pleasent surprise to me. A friend of mine dragged me to see this and I didn't think I'd like it. Boy was I wrong. I couldn't thank her enough after the fact.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »

I'm curious whether this ever arrives here...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »

I'm curious whether this ever arrives here...

Maybe in autumn?

(I know, I know, cheap word play...)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:23:46 AM »

I dreamt about it! Huh

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Whalestoe
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:13:05 AM »

Wanna see this now. Fuck you, TB.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 02:37:48 AM »

Wanna see this now. Fuck you, TB.

Grin Nothing like the Sergio Leone Forum. God, I love ya Whalestoe. You're such a nice person.

Whalestoe
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 03:37:17 PM »

Grin Nothing like the Sergio Leone Forum. God, I love ya Whalestoe. You're such a nice person.

Seriously, that trailer made me feel the excitement of Pan's Labyrinth all over again. This looks good.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:12:31 AM »

Seriously, that trailer made me feel the excitement of Pan's Labyrinth all over again. This looks good.

Just wait patiently for the DVD. It's a coming!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

There more you see movies the rarer it seems to become to be blown away by a movie, at least this is my case. Just when I was going through a phase with few extraordinary movies I walked into The Fall. I won't try to explain the story, it wouldn't make it any justice. Eventhough the visuals are breathtaking the movie is not just eye candy. It is a movie about stories. It's about the very nature of fiction and fantasy and storytelling. The cathartic effect of stories and the magic that is created between the storyteller, the listener and the story and where the story begins to live a life of its own. And this naturally leads to the conclusion that it is a movie about cinema, without being a cinephile in-joke.

By no means is The Fall a perfect movie (even OUATITW or OUATIA aren't 100% perfect) but is a fucking good movie. Do yourself a favour and see it, in a theater preferably - I couldn't imagine watching this (at least not for the first time) on a TV screen. YouTubing this would be a sin. And forget those Pan's Labyrinth comparisons if that's what puts you off; I can't really see any resemblance.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »

Great movie. T_B got me to watch it. I loved it.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:42 AM »

Great movie. T_B got me to watch it. I loved it.
Yeah, I remember him praising this in a thread he had created but I couldn't find it. Long live the search engine!

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »

And then the cold-hearted bastard came in...

I'm sorry to say I didn't like it very much. I watched it and the first thing that I thought was ''style over substance''. Some parts were interesting, I liked the beginning, I even thought the screenplay couldn't have been (that) bad, but the movie itself was so dull, slow and paradoxically - stolid - , I was throwing myself from one to the other side of the couch to survive through it. It just went on... and on... and on... feeding itself and relying on (by that point) shallow visuals whenever a dramatic moment came knocking on the door. On the top of that came the score... I don't remember hearing any.

4/10

P.S. It also immediately reminded me of that catch-the-psycho flick with Jennifer Lopez and Vincent D'Onofrio (The Cell), and guess what, big surprise, the same guy directed it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »

And then the cold-hearted bastard came in...

Grin Grin Grin

P.S. It also immediately reminded me of that catch-the-psycho flick with Jennifer Lopez and Vincent D'Onofrio (The Cell), and guess what, big surprise, the same guy directed it.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=cellblows

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM