Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:15:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Alamo (1960)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alamo (1960)  (Read 12071 times)
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

with me it is the opposite. I never liked the 160 minute cut very much.
With 200 minutes it became a better film, it needs that length.

Robert Harris is currently restoring. Good news.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »

The gun is a pepper box

http://www.cwslagleantiques.com/view_cat.cfm?catid=67

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »

The link shows only pistols.

The one Widmark has when he buys the farm is the size of a rifle!
Did they make those?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

http://books.google.com/books?id=TYlCAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=pepperbox+rifle&source=bl&ots=0p1t60dqNS&sig=KS9aeXR0mL3CnbFGTuwHnwJmc94&hl=en&ei=1WoUSprMG82LtgfV542NBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »

It's called a Nock gun, a handheld version of the "Volley gun" used by the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nock_gun
http://www.southessex.co.uk/weapons/nock.htm

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:58:06 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

I just watched the 2 hours 40 (something) minutes version in one piece for the very first time in my life, and I really do not see how this could turn into a masterpiece with the addition of 40 more minutes. This is too long already, way too long. John Wayne trying so hard to emulate John Ford: a pity. The characters occasionally deliver entertaining miniatures but otherwise they drag the whole movie that already dances around with very few clothes on (the story). I really liked some of the action scenes, though, and the actual battle actually ain't bad.

Watch it again anytime soon? - I don't think so.

6/10

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:05:49 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »

The missing forty minutes definitely helps to flesh out the characters, but it doesn't by any means turn it from a so-so movie into a great one.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »

The missing forty minutes definitely helps to flesh out the characters

I doubt it - most of the characters are all bones no flesh already.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 07:13:51 AM »

I was wondering if anyone here who watched the movie caught a short piece of dialogue between Graciela 'Flaca' de Lopez y Vejar and Emil Sande (?), going something like: ''I'm not greedy - I'm only taking half.''

?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 07:16:59 AM »

From Wiki:

Direction

Wayne's mentor John Ford showed up uninvited and attempted to exert undue influence on the film. Wayne sent him off to shoot unnecessary second-unit footage in order to maintain his own authority. Virtually nothing of Ford's footage was used, but Ford is often erroneously described as an uncredited co-director.

According to many people involved in the film, Wayne was an intelligent and gifted director, despite a weakness for the long-winded dialog of his favorite screenwriter, James Edward Grant. Roberts and Olson describe his direction as "competent but not outstanding". Widmark complained that Wayne would try to tell him and other actors how to play their parts, which sometimes went against their own interpretation of characters.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »

From Wiki:

That's about what happened. Don Siegel said about Wayne: ''He'll never be a good director - he lacks patience''. Everybody who knows Bogdanovich's stories about Wayne it's an understatement Smiley.
But of course WAyne was really on the edge during that production: he wanted to make that film for 15 years...
Although after 30 years of film making Wayne was very experienced of course, ALAMO nevertheless is a directorial feature film debut,
and I think it's quite outstanding considering that. I've seen 'epics' by so-called big-time film makers that were boring, dull, fake and phoney.

THE ALAMO is not for people who can't stand Wayne & the world surrounding him. Maybe it's less THE ALAMO than JOHN WAYNE's THE ALAMO..

couple of my first release posters:

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »

Just saw this movie for the first time. 6.5/10

Firstly, this film has an absolutely wonderful score by Dimitri Tiomkin. Even the bad scenes -- and the are quite a few -- are almost made watchable cuz of the terrific music.

Wayne and Widmark are good as expected, but Laurence Harvey was totally miscast as Col. Travis.

There is too much speechifying. Way too much nonsense and partying with the drunken Tennesseeans. Why does it seem that so many people felt that a necessary element of every Western was having many scenes with drunken parties and buffoons?

So the movie had some very enjoyable parts and some very unenjoyable parts.

I didn't love the version of the de Guello -- the "cutthroat song" from Rio Bravo -- that the Mexican soldiers play before the battle; it is played way too fast. The slower version, from Rio Bravo, is much better. And I never like the songs with lyrics that play in the beginning and end of the movie.
Otherwise, this movie has one of the best scores of any American Western ever. (Off the top of my head, this may be top 3, along with Rio Bravo and Red River, both of which were also by Tiomkin).

I saw the dvd, which is the 161-minute version. I hear that they are restoring the original version which has an extra 30 minutes or so; currently, the only way to see that version is when it plays on TCM. As it is, this movie is probably half an hour to long; can adding 30 minutes to an already overlong movie make it better? I doubt it. (But I guess that I will check it out next time it plays on TCM; and whenever the restored dvd comes out, perhaps I'll rent it).

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:36:39 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »

I think the added scenes do a lot to develop the characters. In a strict narrative sense they don't add a whole lot.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »

They're supposed to make you care about the character, so the movie is not just an uninvolving lost battle. Now, I haven't watched the Alamo for years so I cannot really remember if they work or if they fail Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »

I only know the short version, which could be shorter and for that better imo. Can't say that I cared much for the characters. Just like D&D I don't like all that Fordish brawling stuff. But the directing is good, and the filming of the landscape is very good, and the final action is not only spectacular but still stunning. 6/10

Can't say that I'm much interested in that uncut version at the moment, but you never know ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM