Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:37:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Alamo (1960)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alamo (1960)  (Read 12087 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »

The legendary true story of a small band of soldiers who sacrificed their lives in hopeless combat against a massive army in order to prevent a tyrant from smashing the new Republic of Texas.

I just picked up the John Wayne version of "The Alamo" on DVD. Yes, I understand that this DVD release is the edited version of the film but I thought it was worth getting in the mean time. Has anybody actually seen the un-edited version of the film? How much better is it? I wish MGM would release this version because I'm dying to see it. That being said, I think it's a must have for any John Wayne fan. As most of you know he not only starred in the film but he directed and produced it as well.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

The remake is better.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:47:41 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »

The remake is better. THERE! I said it!

hahaha, hey man, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Honestly though, I haven't seen the remake yet and I'm pissed off I haven't done so.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »

Yes, I understand that this DVD release is the edited version of the film but I thought it was worth getting in the mean time. Has anybody actually seen the un-edited version of the film? How much better is it? I wish MGM would release this version because I'm dying to see it.

It's one of my all-time favorites, and I was lucky (dumb luck that is) enough to buy a copy of the Extended Version.....as a nine-year old, and I still have it.  I used a Best Buy certificate from my birthday and picked it up, not knowing at the ripe old age of nine that there were 2 versions floating around.  It's said that the reels of the extended version were left to deteriorrate so badly.

As for the Extended Version, which I think is much better, some added scenes include Emil Sande's death in the church basement where the ammo/rifles are stored, a speech between Travis and Dickinson about Travis' Jeffersonian beliefs, a conversation about Fannin, scouting for Santa Anna's cattle herd, the deaths of both the Parson and Scotty, Crockett's prayer to God to keep his men safe (the best scene that was cut), Lisa Dickinson's b-day party, and a few other small additions including a slightly longer Crockett death scene.

And maybe it's just me, but the 2004 version is not a remake, it's a retelling of a historical incident.  It'd be like saying Son of the Morning Star is a remake of They Died With Their Boots On.  Either way, the 2004 version is really good, and I still stay Billy Bob deserved a nomination for his performance as David, not Davy, Crockett.

The Waynamo 10/10  Always one of my favorites  Afro
The Alamo 9/10  An excellent retelling of the Alamo story that never got a fair shot in theaters. Cry

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

It's one of my all-time favorites, and I was lucky (dumb luck that is) enough to buy a copy of the Extended Version.....as a nine-year old, and I still have it.  I used a Best Buy certificate from my birthday and picked it up, not knowing at the ripe old age of nine that there were 2 versions floating around.  It's said that the reels of the extended version were left to deteriorrate so badly.

As for the Extended Version, which I think is much better, some added scenes include Emil Sande's death in the church basement where the ammo/rifles are stored, a speech between Travis and Dickinson about Travis' Jeffersonian beliefs, a conversation about Fannin, scouting for Santa Anna's cattle herd, the deaths of both the Parson and Scotty, Crockett's prayer to God to keep his men safe (the best scene that was cut), Lisa Dickinson's b-day party, and a few other small additions including a slightly longer Crockett death scene.

And maybe it's just me, but the 2004 version is not a remake, it's a retelling of a historical incident.  It'd be like saying Son of the Morning Star is a remake of They Died With Their Boots On.  Either way, the 2004 version is really good, and I still stay Billy Bob deserved a nomination for his performance as David, not Davy, Crockett.

The Waynamo 10/10  Always one of my favorites  Afro
The Alamo 9/10  An excellent retelling of the Alamo story that never got a fair shot in theaters. Cry

I had a feeling you'd love this film Ben Tyreen. You have some great taste my friend and I always enjoy your thoughts about films here. Thanks.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »

Ey Ben, so you are rather young then?
Good taste you got!

As far as I know the roadshow version will not be released on DVD. It seems MGM messed up the only existing print during cleaning with wrong chemicals or something years ago. Before that the roadshow version was supposed to be lost forever anyway. But 70mm fans discovered the last print 20 years ago, it was mislabeled and therefore believed to be the cut version.
I made myself a DVD, for that I enhanced the PAL- WideScreen tape, worked quite well.
Last year I contributed to a great book on Wayne's THE ALAMO. It is a bit expensive but limited and packed with
rare stills & stories...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

Good taste you got!

As far as I know the roadshow version will not be released on DVD. It seems MGM messed up the only existing print during cleaning with wrong chemicals or something years ago. Before that the roadshow version was supposed to be lost forever anyway. But 70mm fans discovered the last print 20 years ago, it was mislabeled and therefore believed to be the cut version.
I made myself a DVD, for that I enhanced the PAL- WideScreen tape, worked quite well.
Last year I contributed to a great book on Wayne's THE ALAMO. It is a bit expensive but limited and packed with
rare stills & stories...

Thanks for those pictures mike!

I can't believe MGM messed up the only existing print. I hope that's not true.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »

two rare images...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:49 AM »

Good taste you got!

That I am, at the ripe old age of 23.  Afro  I was lucky enough my senior year of high school to visit Bracketville/Alamo Village where Wayne built the whole gigantic set on Happy Shahan's ranch.  The whole Alamo and all of San Antonio are all still there.  Walking around that place was truly one of the coolest things I've ever done, much like what I imagine walking around Sad Hill would be like or any other great movie locations.  I took a ton of pictures, I'll try and post some so everybody can see how much the set has changed over the last 48 years.

rare stills & stories...

I saw that book at Cinema Retro last year, mike, is it so pricy because it is a Limited Edition, or is there another reason I'm not thinking of? Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:30 AM »

Well, I actually saw "The Alamo" when it first came out, as a kid in Pittsburgh.  It played downtown with advance/reserved tickets, it was big.  My parents even bought (at the theater) a thin, hard-bound book (now lost) with lots of color photos from the film in it.  I can't remember if all those scenes were in it then, maybe that book listed its run time.   I've been to the Alamo site myself.  Sure, those 185 guys were very heroic.  Sure, they were fighting to keep slavery which Mexico didn't allow.  Personally I think the film is mediocre, but I do own the soundtrack record (vinyl LP, Tiomkin).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:26:35 AM by Cusser » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »

This was one of my favorites as a kid, but I haven't seen it in many a year.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »

This was one of my favorites as a kid, but I haven't seen it in many a year.

I haven't seen it in years actually but I just picked it up on DVD. I'll probably watch it tonight myself.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 01:18:24 PM »

According to Cinema Retro, the Waynemo DIRECTOR'S CUT is playing on TCM Tuesday (to celebrate St. Paddy's Day I wonder?). Burn 'em if you got 'em. http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/3045-TCM-TO-BROADCAST-DIRECTORS-CUT-OF-JOHN-WAYNES-THE-ALAMO-ON-MARCH-17.html

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »

An interesting note--and appeal--from Robert A. Harris: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris032009.html

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 04:15:34 PM »

This was one of the very first movies I remember ever having seen. The only thing that impressed me was the strange gun used by Bowie. (What it was CJ?).But I remembered it only now that i have ssen the dvd.
I understand that the current available version is cut. Well, I still think the movie is too long. Half an hour less would have been a great improvement. E.g. the Cristal scenes, the crap reflections on religion, the freeing of the slave: all the more strange as Wayne's was not a philistine movie. 7\10 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM