Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:10:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tourist Trap (1978)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourist Trap (1978)  (Read 2166 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:21:49 AM »

I've heard a lot of bad things about this movie. I've heard it was unintentionally funny, it sucks, it's cheesy etc.

So I was pleasently surprised while watching it.
It is a very inventive, fun and frightening horror movie.
Probably the best I've seen in a long time.

SPOILERS
I had heard terrible things about Conner's performance as the Leatherface like "Davy" but I found his performance to be rather frightening.
At least when he dons the various masks he uses.
When he isn't in costume (but already revealed as a nut-bag) he unfortunatly is given these scenes that is trying to spoon feed you this bizarre humor but it is just awkward/embarassing to watch (the scene where he is feeding a mannequin). Thankfully there are very few scenes like this and we get back to the thrills soon afterward.
SPOILER ENDS

The movie accomplishes what most horror films today don't/can't, it has likable protagonists.
Here you have your average stock character teens (the sexpot, the goodie goodie virgin, the Jock etc.) but you actually like these kids.
You want them to survive the ordeal they have put themselves in.
You aren't sitting there waiting for them to get knocked off.
I think this is one of the biggest achievements of the film.
The other is...
Tanya Roberts has never looked better than in this movie... NOW that is a grand achievement indeed!

That said, the highlight for western fans would be Chuck Conners in a very atypical (for him) but memorable role.

8/10

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:44:54 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:32:18 AM »

Looks interesting to say the least. For some reason this makes me think of The Evil Dead, I'm not sure why, looks like its in the same vein of B movie horror. I like B movie horrors better then more higher budget horror films ecause they know that they shouldn't take themselves too seriously. I'll keep an eye out for this one  Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:34:29 AM »

Looks interesting to say the least. For some reason this makes me think of The Evil Dead, I'm not sure why, looks like its in the same vein of B movie horror. I like B movie horrors better then more higher budget horror films ecause they know that they shouldn't take themselves too seriously. I'll keep an eye out for this one  Afro

I didn't get into plot details because I don't want to spoil anything.
Rent it off of netflix and get back to this thread!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »

It's a nifty little scare show. Saw bits of it on tv back in the early 80s and remember the score on vinyl being sold in Fangoria magazine. Conners had apparently wanted to become the new Karloff or Peter Cushing but it didn't happen for him. He did play the lead villain werewolf (Janos Skorzeny; the same name I believe of the villain vampire in the NIGHT STALKER pilot) character in the tv show WEREWOLF.

I thought I had mentioned this movie to you FC back when we were talking about Conners in his sole SW outing. Although I don't recall saying anything negative about it. It's great that you finally saw it and enjoyed it. The opening 10 or 15 minutes is one of the most tense I've seen in a horror flick and Pino Dinoggio's score is class. I stayed away from this movie for years since it was rated PG and according to the director, he felt that was why it came and went pretty quickly upon its initial release. A bit surprised with some of the violence that it was able to get away with a PG. Compass International, which also distributed HALLOWEEN handled the film.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »

BTW, the year for this was 1978.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM