Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:23:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Help me name some western characters for a book!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help me name some western characters for a book!  (Read 860 times)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »

I plan another western novel (this time taking place in late 1870s/early 1880s) and some of my characters still need a name, or a half name. Since you're the most enthusiastic fans I know, I turn to you. You can surely come up with some good names.

Characters who need a name:

1. A mercenary. He's 40-something, dark, weather-beaten, often acts like a jerk and he's very bitter. (I cast him in my head as Robert Ryan.) Will take care of a Quaker girl despite them hating each other. Needs a full name.

2. Neil, needs a surname, a blonde lad, member of an outlaw gang. He's a gambler and pretty cold-blooded for his age. Might or might not have consumption, will decide later. No particular actor, any blonde, nice Spaghetti Actor Boy would do.

3. ... Blackwood, another member of that gang, needs a first name. He's the last survivor, tall, skinny, early graying, looks like James Coburn in his most badass roles.

4. Ruth, needs a very Quaker-sounding family name, daughter of a large farmer family who becomes the mercenary's companion. She's not a traditional heroine, just a plain-looking 16-year-old with a lot of freckles and strict morals. Even Queen Vicky would tell her to loosen up a bit. She hates the mercenary who shot her dog and even after she forgets him she won't tell out of pride, but they're forced to cooperate.

5. 4 sons of one Mother Katie. They're also part-time gang members but they live on their mom's farm, and said mom is more dangerous than the whole band of cutthroats. She's a good-hearted but strict matriarch who terrorizes her sons but if anyone tries to harm them or her friends, they better order their coffin. They need a family name and each son a first name.

Other cast members who have their names, just to make a full view:

- Henry Carleton, the gang leader, about 50. Tough but begins to feel his years. Cynical, or so he pretends, but vulnerable under the hard surface.
- Howell, a middle-aged Jason Robards type, a bit more lyrical and nice than the rest. He can even behave with women if he wants to.

- Vin Sheridan, a bounty hunter / psychopath. Pretty much a Jack Palance type. Chose to be a bounty hunter to get away with murdering people.
- Palmer and Lloyd, "those two bad guys" - bounty hunters, thieves, former scalp hunters
- Sam - aging drunkard bounty hunter as a homage to... Sam. Pretty useless in fight as he can barely aim anymore, but he's full of anecdotes.

The plot revolves around Mother Katie's farm and family, a gang of outlaws (they're no good) and gang of bounty hunters (the only difference between them and their prey is that the law and soem rich landowners are on their side). The mercenary knew some older gang members from the Civil War and he wants no part of this chaotic fight but of course he's dragged in when Sheridan destroys a Quaker farm for "hiding a bandit". (One of the gang members, wounded and on the run, hides of Ruth's farm and they help him without knowing who he is, and because they are Christians.)

The results? We're in for a local war with 3-4 sides, depending on the situation. There will be a lot of betrayal, death and hectoliters of blood. Young Ruth will lose her illusions (she shouldn't have read silly adventure books) about gunslingers, but the world that comes after them - we know it, it has fat capitalists, fences and dirty money - is even worse.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:00:38 PM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:42:18 AM »

Some names I use a lot in my own fiction ideas. There's no real reason for these, I just think they sound cool.

John Sage
The Redmond Brothers
Tony Portugal
Renard (just used this for a Fiction class story)

Sounds like an interesting project you have, Jill. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:38:57 AM »

Thanks. Cheesy

My recurring dude is Rubio, the Gypsy from my last project, but don't know if I should include him. This is not Mexico... and even if he represents Death, this book is not magical realism.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM