Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:16:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Casablanca (1942)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Casablanca (1942)  (Read 6602 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »

I have the HD-DVD release and it's excellent.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »

I just ordered the 2012 BRD from Amazon Marketplace, new for under fourteen bucks including shipping.

(I've never seen the movie on any disc before - only on TCM - so I couldn't compare it to any other disc release.)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »

I just ordered the 2012 BRD from Amazon Marketplace, new for under fourteen bucks including shipping.

(I've never seen the movie on any disc before - only on TCM - so I couldn't compare it to any other disc release.)
You should have waited. The UK steelbook BRD (region free) has been dropping in price lately.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »

Surely the UK release can't have better image quality than the US re-release - I mean how much better can this thing get? To be honest I have the original US release and am more than happy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »

The UK release has, reportedly, the same PQ as the most recent US blu. The point is one can have the best quality transfer, at the best price, in a steelbook.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:56 AM »

finally watched the BRD tonite. I decided to check out the commentaries; there is one by Roger Ebert and one by Rudy Behlmer. Beaver says he thinks both "the commentaries are excellent," but he says, "I, personally, lean towards Behlmer's over Eberts" (typo is Beaver's of course!) so I decided to of course watch Ebert's first cuz I was sure I'd disagree with Beaver (even though I had never before heard a commentary by Ebert or Behlmer) Anyway, I was absolutely correct. Nevermind the content of what is actually said; my first, basic rule in commentaries is this: The speaker has to be speaking to you as in a normal conversation, saying what he knows about the movie; NOT reading prepared statements off a paper. With Ebert's, you can tell he is speaking to you normally, just like you can tell when e.g. Christopher Frayling or Eddie Muller are doing a commentary. But Behlmer obviously wrote his shit down and is reading straight off the paper; it's basically like listening to someone read a book for 2 hours; needless to say, I shut Behlmer's off after just  a few minutes.

BTW, Ebert's final line in the commentary is: "When I'm asked for the name of the greatest film of all time, I almost always say 'Citizen Kane' and that would be my sincere opinion. But if somebody were to say, 'What is the movie that you like the best?' I think that I might say 'Casablanca.' "

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:01:04 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »

RE: the two BRD releases: as we've discussed previously, there's a 2008 release and a 2012 one; each was released first in a big boxset and then as a single disc of just the movie; I got the 2012 single disc.

Now, I am looking again at Beaver's page, it looks like the 2008 boxset is 2 discs the movie, plus an extra disc of bonus feature plus a bunch of physical bonus materials in the boxset; whereas the 2012 release is 3 discs - the movie plus 2 discs of bonus features but there is no physical bonus materials. Well I am looking now at the prices on Amazon, and by now, the price of each boxset (whether from Amazon itself or from Amazon Marketplace) is less than $30. So I'm thinking of maybe getting one or both boxsets now. Casablanca is one of the very few movies that I love so much and am jappy to be a little bit of a completist, double- and triple-dipping...

btw, this is the disc I currently own http://goo.gl/3UTMsz I happen to notice it says on the page in red, Region 40547 encoding (This DVD will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV. More about DVD formats.) that's weird- wtf does that mean? The BRD played fine on my BRD player....

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:49:06 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:43 AM »

Interesting note mentioned by Ebert in the commentary: As soon as Bogie, Bergman, and Raines arrive at the airport, you see the plane in the background being prepares by the mechanics: The plane is a miniature and the mechanics are midgets! 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:30 PM »

I've seen so many shitty movies lately that I decided I HAD TO finally have a good time and watch a movie that I KNOW will be good. What better way to ensure that than popping Casablanca into my BRD player ...

This time around, Paul Henreid didn't bother me much. Sure, he doesn't belong billed above the title with Bogie & Bergman; sure, he is by far and away the least good of all the actors in the movie, no matter where they are billed. But he ain't terrible. Anyway, I don't want to waste any more time talking about Henreid.

Well, what else can I talk about? My opinion is basically unchanged this time and every time I watch the movie: among non-Leone films, one of my 5 all-time faves. Bogie is incredible. Bergman is smoking. If I actually went back and read any of the past posts in this thread, I'll probably be reading the same thing again and again. Just repeating myself here. What a joy this movie is  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »

Well, what else can I talk about?
You could talk about how the music is used to great effect, both dramatically and thematically. But in order to do that, you'd actually have to think about the film, an activity above your pay grade.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:36 PM »

You could talk about how the music is used to great effect, both dramatically and thematically. But in order to do that, you'd actually have to think about the film, an activity above your pay grade.

The musical moment that I most remember - outside of the 'internal' songs - is the big dramatic cue the moment after they are done woth La Marseillies -Vive Le France! and Major Strasser walks over to Capt. Renault to tell him he had to close Rick's

2:12 of this vid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsg9i6lvqU

Btw, a great shot is at 1:46: as Lazlo is conducting the crowd in La Marseillaise, there is a cut to a closeup shot of a Ilsa, looking admiringly husband. Stuck in my mind this time around, a wonderful moment. A great expression. Even in that great scene, in addition to having the crowd singing, there is also an important shot there, for the personal story, and showing the admiration that Ilsa has for her husband. Just a single shot -  if she had had this huge smile, it wouldn't have had the same effect;  but just that little look of admiration, even if not love, what, a great moment. She loves Rick, but has admiration and looks up to Lazlo

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:48:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:03 AM »

I first saw this in the 80's on a small screen and dubbed and gave it 7/10. Now I saw  a dvd, big screen and original audio, and it's still 7/10. At first I thought I might change my opinion: the witty dialogues at the start were promising. But then enters Bergman and everything goes down the drain. I don't know why this actress was so much esteemed: she's just passable, I can't remember a single scene in her movies where she gives it something special: to me she's the european answer to Katharine Hepburn: and that says it all. And then Bogart: I can't say if it's the cult status of the movie which didn't make me take seriously his dejection scenes but they made me laugh all the time. And just listening to his voice gave me the impression I was listening  all the time to a Fred Allen's spoof (their voices are really similar). And there are scenes which literally gave me goosebumps from shame: The Marseillaise and the dialogue with the Bulgarian gal and the subsequent (and incredible) act of generosity of Bogart. This is concentration of all the Hollywood's trivialities at their best (or worst) and my rating is not lower because of the Rain's, Greenstreet's, Lorre's performances and, again, some of the dialogues. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 06:29:44 AM »

The musical moment that I most remember - outside of the 'internal' songs - is the big dramatic cue the moment after they are done woth La Marseillies -Vive Le France! and Major Strasser walks over to Capt. Renault to tell him he had to close Rick's
One immediately thinks of Mark 3:6: "And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him." (KJV). Substitute Nazis for Pharisees and Vichy officials for Herodians and that verse pretty much covers the matter. Strasser has suddenly realized just how dangerous the Lazlo Christ is. If he can cause such a ruckus in Rick's (in effect, expelling the corruptors from the temple), there's no telling what he can do throughout Casablanca. And La Marseillaise is not merely a patriotic song, it's a hymn calling for political violence.

The moment is expertly prepared for. Throughout the film--it's in the opening credits--La Marseillaise is quoted. In fact, the song is the film's leitmotif. The film wants viewers to live the song.

The device that really makes the movie work is that, instead of focusing on the Messiah figure, the film stays with someone who at first seems at odds with the man and his message, who subsequently converts and becomes his chief disciple. Unless Messiahs are under constant persecution, they are, dramatically, dull.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:30:52 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »

And there are scenes which literally gave me goosebumps from shame: The Marseillaise and the dialogue with the Bulgarian gal and the subsequent (and incredible) act of generosity of Bogart.  
Ever since the partisans killed his grandfather, Li'l Duce has had animus toward scenes with anti-Fascist sentiments.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:13:48 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »

Ever since the partisans killed his grandfather, Li'l Duce has had animus toward scenes with anti-Fascist sentiments.

This is what the french call "pompier" and the americans "corny". It is really embarrassing because it is easily predictable and the degree zero of inventiveness to bring out a tear. A pity the Germans didn't reply with the Horst Wessel Lied: then it would have been fun. One can take seriously these Hollywood shenanigans, of course. Which can also explain  why you are able to report at least 2 masterpieces a week from your visits to multiplex. BTW the movie gives what is probably the worst version of It Had To Be You, sung by somebody to whom nobody told that you must move the fingers to play piano. But at least they had the sense of humor to let him sing a few measures of Shine.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:08:48 AM by titoli » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM