Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 04:00:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1801237 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10680 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »

I didn't say manure or anything derogatory. Or ignorant. Or dismissive.  All I said was that I've never had much of an interest in them. The statement was totally regarding ME and my preferences, and said nothing about the product itself

How would you react if I said I didn't have any interest in watching black and white films?

... Oh wait.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10681 on: July 03, 2012, 04:57:47 AM »

btw Mr. Power, this might cheer you up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/the-newsroom-renewed_n_1644205.html

Without having seen the show, I have to say these accusations of "sexism" amuse me. The Social Network got a lot of flack on that end, the bitchers conveniently ignoring that the movie was about misogynist dweebs. I certainly wouldn't level that criticism at Sorkin's earlier work; a sexist couldn't create CJ Cregg or Dana Whittaker.

Oh wait, it's the Goddamn Huffington Post.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »

How would you react if I said I didn't have any interest in watching black and white films?

... Oh wait.

Then I'd say you were missing out on something good and should give it a try. But I wouldn't imply that you had said black and white films were shit.

Oh Wait

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:16:15 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: July 03, 2012, 09:58:43 AM »

The Amazing Spiderman (2012) 7/10. Saw it flat, in 4K. Not so amazing, but definitely entertaining, at least until the turgid action finale. Lots of laughs, too--Stan Lee's cameo had me chuckling--until the turgid action finale. Why are we supposed to care about CGI-characters battling, again? It's like looking over a friend's shoulder while the guy is on his Playstation. Without interactivity, those images mean nothing. The story isn't bad--the filmmakers went back into the mythos and resurrected Gwen Stacy, PP's girlfriend before MJ. She's played by Emma Stone whose usual annoying brashness works well for her character here. Andrew Garfield makes a pretty OK PP; as Spiderman he can't keep his mask on, which, I guess, is a concession filmmakers have to make to superhero-playing actors these days. The Lizard was never very high on my list of favorite villains, but at least in this telling his origin is tied in with Spidey's, which keeps the plot tight (there's no sense here of two stories being told, the hero's origin, and THEN the adventure). The picture runs 137 minutes, well-paced, and didn't drag at all until the turgid action finale. A nice innovation: they don't make you wait through all the credits at the end to see the teaser--they start and then interrupt the credits, play the teaser, then resume the credits (This is particularly nice in the case of this film because the teaser isn't worth waiting for.) James Horner supplied his usual sonic crap.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10684 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Did you bother seeing The Avengers Jenkins?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: July 03, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »

Yeah, I didn't like it. It was OK for the first half, but the Trash Manhattan sequence bored me to death. And the teaser reveal of Thanos felt cheap.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10686 on: July 03, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »

CGI battles seems to be a bugaboo of yours. Yet in superhero films, what do you expect? I don't mean this derisively, but as you're a comic fan and don't seem opposed to these movies I'm curious how you think it could be better-rendered?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: July 03, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »

Make them shorter.

Superman 2 had the big set piece where Supes and the baddies hurled cars and whatnot at each other. No CGI was used. It went on forever.

Whether CGI or practical, effects shots have to be cut together to create the illusion of reality. And one thing we know about reality: it's over all too soon.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10688 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »

I'd agree if we're talking run-of-the-mill action flicks. I wouldn't say most comic books approximate "real-life."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

Well, the action scenes have to look like they're really happening, that's what I mean.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10690 on: July 04, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »

Thanks to TCM, I caught the end of The Scarlet Letter which I've seen a few times before. My God, what amazing color! Someone give it a DVD/BR release stat!

Also...

Declaration of Independence (1938) - 6/10 - Amusingly quaint Technicolor short about the Continental Congress. Stiff and talky but has its moments: nowhere else, I imagine, will you see Caesar Rodney depicted as an action hero!

The Devil's Disciple - 7/10 - Colonial troublemaker Kirk Douglas is mistaken for preacher Burt Lancaster and arrested for treason. Laurence Olivier plays a cynical Johnny Burgoyne, in the midst of mismanaging his Saratoga Campaign. Talky but amusing Shaw adaptation, with some clever action towards the end. Fun animation provides exposition a la The Charge of the Light Brigade. Too bad about the B&W photography.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: July 04, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Seen it a few times. As much as my hipster-hating self hates to admit it, I think this is a damn great, incredibly unique film.

Also, second episode of The Newsroom was all right but a huge, huge, huge letdown following the pilot.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10692 on: July 04, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »

If the articles I've read are any indication, The Newsroom only gets worse from there.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »

Marley (2012) - 6/10. Bob Marley's memory gets the talking heads treatment. Somewhat interesting at first before it descends in hagiography. And the film is 144 minutes long! Even if you think he wrote some of the greatest music ever made (I don't particularly) his personal life was not very interesting. This definitely needed another edit.

Prabal
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: July 06, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »

Street Law or (Il cittadino si ribella-original title)

Directed: Enzo G. Castellari

Starring: Franco Nero, Barbara Bach, Giancarlo Prete, Romano Puppo

Good revenge thriller with good action scenes. Franco Nero is over the top in a few scenes but is otherwise very good and at the top of his form. Stroy line is intriguing .Awesome music. Drivin' all around is especially noteworthy.

My rating- 8.5/10

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:29:50 AM by Prabal » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM