Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:53:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1805248 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12195 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »

I meant to say the other English-language version; I was talking about the 1965 version, called Ten Little Indians http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061075/?ref_=sr_1
(I see now that there was a third English-language one, also called Ten Little Indians, from 1989, which holds a stellar 4.7/10 rating on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098454/?ref_=sr_3 )
A "third" English-language version? Truth be told, there is a "fourth" version: 1974 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072263/. There is even a "fifth" one, a TV movie from 1959 starring Nina Foch. And, imdb tells me, there was even a "sixth" version done for British TV in 1949 (with Christie's original non-PC title). Then there are all the TV shows that incorporated the plot into one of their episodes (There is a particularly good variation on this in "The Superlative Seven" (1967), an episode of The Avengers.) I submit you haven't seen all the English-language ones, so you don't know whether any have been done to your taste or not.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »

A "third" English-language version? Truth be told, there is a "fourth" version: 1974 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072263/. There is even a "fifth" one, a TV movie from 1959 starring Nina Foch. And, imdb tells me, there was even a "sixth" version done for British TV in 1949 (with Christie's original non-PC title). Then there are all the TV shows that incorporated the plot into one of their episodes (There is a particularly good variation on this in "The Superlative Seven" (1967), an episode of The Avengers.) I submit you haven't seen all the English-language ones, so you don't know whether any have been done to your taste or not.

well that's good to hear.... I mean, if a good one has been done, I'd be very happy.......

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: June 29, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »

In Bruges - 8.5/10
Holds up great on a second viewing.

Sanjuro - 4.5/10
Boring. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. Sit. Talk, talk talk. Sit. Talk. Of the 20 or so Kurosawa movies I've seen, this is the first that I've disliked. I've never seen the hype for Yojimbo either but it's much better than its sequel.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12198 on: June 29, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »

In Bruges - 8.5/10
Holds up great on a second viewing.

It actually gets better to me, since the characters make more and more sens.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: June 29, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »

Sanjuro - 4.5/10
Boring. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. Sit. Talk, talk talk. Sit. Talk.
Well, it's not an action movie, it's a comedy. Comedies usually have a lot of talking, as it's the primary means of getting the humor across.

I like the film a lot. AK usually populates his films with so many earnest characters that things can get a bit boring. Here, having already done a fairly straight take on the samurai film (Yojimbo), he takes the opportunity to spoof the genre. That final Thar She Blows moment at the end always cracks me up.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12200 on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »

The Man With the Golden Arm - 8/10 - Frank Sinatra struggles to overcome heroin addiction in this memorable melodrama. True, it dilutes the source novel a bit, allowing the protagonist a shot at redemption. But for its time, it's an incredibly dark and daring work, tackling drug addiction with a squeamish directness few films handle even today. Great acting, save perhaps Eleanor Parker's overwrought wife.

Hillsborough - 8/10 - Jimmy McGovern's emotionally-charged take on 1989's Hillsborough Stadium disaster, complete with several Cracker actors. A mixture of docudrama credibility and anger at the incompetent (or worse) police reaction and media coverage, keeping focus on the crush's emotional toll in its survivors.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:31:21 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: June 30, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »

1. The Threat (1949) 7.5/10

Noir tough guy Charles McGraw plays an escaped convict out to exact revenge on the cop and prosecutor that got him sent up.

2. Quicksand (1950) 7.5/10

Mickey Rooney plays a mechanic, a normal guy who, in typical noir fashion does one "little" thing wrong, and before he knows it, he's in over his head.

Needing $20 for a date, he "borrows" it from the cash register at the auto garage where he works, knowing he'll return it the next day, when a friend who owes him the money is paying him back. But then, when the accountant shows up 2 days early to count the money in the register, he is desperate to return the $20, so he buys a $100 watch on credit and immediately hocks it for $30. But it turns out there is a law against hocking something you don't fully own, and the watch store is gonna press charges unless he can pay them $100 within 24 hours. Desperate to get the $100............

3. Manpower (1941) 8/10

Edward G. Robinson and George Raft work on a crew that repair damaged electrical wires. One day, a new form of high voltage, in the form of Marlene Deitrich, enters their lives.

As we've discussed extensively here, George Raft is probably the biggest loser in the history of Hollywood. A nobody who somehow was a huge star in the 30's before (thankfully!) totally pissing away his career when he turned down the opportunity to star in films like High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. This movie manages to be good despite him!
According to Wikipedia (not sure about the sources), Raft turned down The Maltese Falcon in order to do this movie, which originally was supposed to have Victor McLaglen in the Robinson role, in which case Raft would have had top billing among the male actors. But then Robinson got the role, which knocked Raft down to third billing (Robinson was first, followed by Deitrich, and then Raft), and Raft, being the loser he is, was all upset about that, and started lots of fights on the set with Robinson. Robinson himself, though he played many gangsters and tough guys in the movies, was actually a very dignified and cultured man in real life. But the loser raft, who was about to go from major star to has-been, started all sorts of fighting on set cuz he wished to be the top dog. (btw, you could make a good case that the raft role here is actually the main role among the actors).

Anyway, this is a good movie, and, as you'll see in the cast list below, features lots of the usual suspects of Warners contract players.

Here is Bosley Crowther's review - I generally despise Crowther in the worst possible way; but I can agree with even a broken clock twice a day.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=990CE2D7153FE13BBC4D53DFB166838A659EDE

Movie Review
Manpower (1941)
' Manpower,' Warners' New Two-Fisted Melodrama, at the Strand -- 'Moon Over Miami' at Roxy
By BOSLEY CROWTHER
Published: July 5, 1941

The Warner Brothers, like Vulcan, know the pat way to forge a thunderbolt. They simply pick a profession in which the men are notoriously tough and the mortality rate is high, write a story about it in which both features are persistently stressed, choose a couple of aces from their pack of hard-boiled actors and with these as sorted ingredients whip together a cinematic depth charge. That is what they have got, multiplied a couple of times, in "Manpower," which struck the Strand like a bolt of lightning yesterday.

And why shouldn't it? Just see—the fellows being pictured this time are those rough and roistering linemen who tend the great electric transmission wires. The principal participants in the drama are Edward G. Robinson and George Raft. And the inevitable lady in the case, over whom the solid buddies dispute, is none other than Marlene Dietrich, sporting every dangerous signal save a "high voltage" sign.

With such exceptional material, the Warner blacksmiths couldn't help but make good—good, in this sense—meaning the accomplishment of a tough, fast, exciting adventure film. From the moment that Miss Dietrich enters the picture, cadging cigarettes, it is just one suspenseful build-up to the titanic fight between the Messrs. Robinson and Raft over her. And through it all runs the patter of hard-boiled lineman lingo, several punching battles, in which Mr. Raft excels, and three or four trips on repair jobs, each one of which claims its lineman toll. Quite a business, fixing hot wires.

To say that Mr. Raft and Mr. Robinson make excellent "squirrels" is like saying two and two make four. Mr. Raft is the cynic in romance; Mr. Robinson is the idealist. But both are so frighteningly flinty that love seems much too tame for either one. Thus Miss Dietrich, for all her lounging and dead-pan scorchiness, is placed in the dangerous position of seeming slightly superfluous. She does what she has to do well, but she's in to make trouble—and that's all. As usual, the Warner stock company of hard—boiled buffoons is on hand—Alan Hale, Frank McHugh et al—to horseplay. And several esser lights toss in some additional fire.

Take it from us, "Manpower" is a tough picture, awfully tough. And if you aren't in good condition, you'd better train a bit before seeing it.

MANPOWER; story and screen play by Richard Macaulay and Jerry Wald; directed by Raoul Walsh for Warner Brothers. At the Strand.
Hank McHenry . . . . . Edward G. Robinson
Fay Duval . . . . . Mariene Dietrich
Johnny Marshall . . . . . George Raft
Jumbo Wells . . . . . Alan Hale
Omaha . . . . . Frank McHugh
Pop Duval . . . . . Egon Brecher
Eddie Adams . . . . . Ward Bond
"Dolly" . . . . . Eve Arden
"Scarlett" . . . . . Joyce Compton
"Flo" . . . . . Lucia Carroll
Smiley Quinn . . . . . Barton MacLane
Polly . . . . . Barbara Pepper
Wilma . . . . . Dorothy Appleby
Sweeney . . . . . Joseph Crehan
"Cully" . . . . . Cliff Clark
Sidney Whipple . . . . . Walter Catlett
Al Hurst . . . . . Ben Welden

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:00:02 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12202 on: July 01, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »

DJANGO UNCHAINED - 7/10

Second viewing, BD. As a movie, it doesn't work. But it's full of good ideas and good moments. After DP's box office flop, I'm afraid QT will take years to go out of his comfort zone to do real cinema again: he will carry on with his Kill Bill derivatives.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

The Burglar (1957) - 8/10. Second DVD viewing. Acid noir! What is it about the crime films of the late 50s made for Columbia? There's this, but also in the same year Nightfall. Then, in '58, The Line-up, and Murder By Contract. And then in '59 City of Fear. Was there a Columbia exec at the time researching altered states?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »

Drunken Angel - 8/10
Simply put, great characters and an excellently told story. I love Kurosawa.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12205 on: July 01, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »

Colorado Territory - 6/10 - High Sierra recast as a Western, with Joel McCrea in the Humphrey Bogart role. Raoul Walsh fits the story comfortably enough into the genre, but I found it rather uninspired.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: July 02, 2013, 05:18:50 AM »

Cariboo Trail (1950) Cattle, Gold Rush, Indians, shootouts and cattle stampedes, Randolph Scott with Gabby Hayes doing his usual shtick, BORING, for die-hard Scott fans only. 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: July 02, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »

Cariboo Trail (1950) Cattle, Gold Rush, Indians, shootouts and cattle stampedes, Randolph Scott with Gabby Hayes doing his usual shtick, BORING, for die-hard Scott fans only. 5/10

Randolph Scott had some nice roles, but does anyone actually call himself "a die-hard Scott fan"?  Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: July 02, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

Lines of Wellington (2012) - 5/10. When I heard about this film--an historical epic set during Napoleon's 1810 invasion of Portugal--I got excited about seeing panoramic shots of battles and terrain I knew nothing about. It turns out there isn't all that much here about the fighting: the film begins just after a Wellington victory, then most of the action is concerned with Wellington's withdrawal to prepared positions around Lisbon. The climax of the film is SPOILER the French, finally arriving and seeing just how insurmountable Wellington's fortifications are, deciding to turn around and go home!END SPOILER. Whoop-dee-do! So, of what does this 151 minute film mostly consist? Seemingly random stories of several unimportant people whose lives are affected by the campaign. And a lot of this descends into Who's Sleeping With Who (I believe this has been cut together from a Portuguese TV series). Lot's of cameos are added to add excitement--Michele Piccoli, Catherine Deneuve, and Isabelle Huppert share a single scene together. The worst insult, though, is the depiction of the great man himself: John Malkovich plays Wellington as if he were little more than a vainglorious--and exceedingly ugly--fop. Well, the photography in this film is very nice.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12209 on: July 02, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »

Sounds like a real snoozer, eh?

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM