Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:59:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1801099 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13905 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »

I'm Still Here (2010) - 3/10
Pretty terrible hoax film. A tone confused movie and an equally ton confused performance from Joaquin Phoenix. There's some interesting bits and observations on the expectation of celebrity by fans and media, but generally it's a mess. There's the feeling that it wants to be a satirical comedy, yet nothing in it is really that funny. On top of that, too many scenes are so dramatic and serious that it just doesn't work with the hoax aspect, especially when the whole film has a feel of a really unfunny comedy. Phoenix's performance isn't necessarily bad, in fact it's pretty amazing - back when he pulled the initial stunt on Letterman, he had me and several other convinced that he might have actually went a little loony. Unfortunately, the confusion of tones in the movie directly translates to his performance (he is essentially the movie). Phoenix doesn't seem to even know who his own character is, but perhaps that's the point he and Casey Affleck wanted to make. By the end, the comedy-drama-mockumentary confusion ends in a very failed attempt at being poetic. All in all, these thoughts alone are spending too much time thinking about the movie - it's not funny, it's not a good drama, it's just junk. An interesting, failed experiment.

The multitude of flaccid wieners, overuse of "fuck", and the pooping on Joaquin while he's sleeping scenes seem to cause the most controversy, but those are far from the worst aspects.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:08:46 PM by PowerRR » Logged
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »

Repo Man (1984) - 8.5/10
Good.

Fantasma (2006) - 0/10
Lol. No. I think I was a bit harsh on I'm Still Here after all... I would say this is the worst film of all time, if I even considered it a film.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:10:15 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »

Juggernaut (1974) 7/10. It's Speed on a boat! (Wait, wasn't Speed 2: Cruise Control also Speed on a boat? My head is starting to hurt.) But what a cast: Harris, Sharif, Hopkins, Holm, Hemmings, even Roy Kinnear and Freddie Jones! Lots of EOD suspense. Now that's entertainment. And in 1080p, with everyone exhibiting the proper flesh tones. Yeah, baby!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:44 AM »

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) 10/10 (first viewing; TCM)

so many great performances; but in a cast that includes Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Judy Garland, Montgomery Clift, Richard Widmark, Marlene Deitrich, and others, it is Maximillian Schell that steals the show. He is simply mesmerizing. Yeah, you could say it's easier to be so great in the bad-guy role, like Schell's defense attorney, cuz lets you do much more acting than the straight good guy like the prosecutor Richard Widmark. But Schell was amazing. Spencer Tracy was also particularly good, but again, you can say that Schell as the bad guy was given room to be even more interesting. And Lancaster was made all the more powerful by the fact that he was silent for most of the movie; heck, he barely even movies; when he finally speaks it is so much more chilling.
Schell won a well-deserved Oscar for Best Actor - despite being fifth-billed!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:53 AM »

Hearts and Minds (1974) - 8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13910 on: September 12, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »

10 Rillington Place - 9/10 - 2nd viewing.

Compulsion - 7/10 - Very close rendering of the Leopold and Loeb case, which makes you wonder why they bothered changing names. Were they that worried about Nathan Leopold suing? Fairly entertaining, and from a style standpoint one of Fleischer's best. The structure's a bit loopy though: the film starts after our L&L surrogates have committed the murder. Orson Welles belatedly arrives to ramble about capital punishment, throwing the balance out of whack. Bradford Dillman is a creep, Dean Stockford a whiner, E.G. Marshall another unflappable lawyer.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:57:48 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13911 on: September 12, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »

Frances Ha - 7/10

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347569/

I guess you can say the film is "70's Woody Allen meets the Nouvelle Vague in a movie about nowadays' kidults". While the abrupt third act doesn't help, it's a good and refreshing flick that doesn't look like anything else. Still never comes close to 70's Woody Allen dialogues or the audace you can find in early Nouvelle Vague films.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:35:31 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: September 12, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »

80 Blocks from Tiffany's

The South Bronx looked like hell to live in back in 70's. Here's the trailer.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: September 13, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »

Love Streams (1984) - 10/10. 1080p transfer: 10/10. For years I believed Cassavetes' best film was The Killing of a Chinese Bookie(1976), but last night I watched the Criterion Blu of this and clearly Love Streams is the man's masterpiece. And it was produced by Cannon Films! Most reviews provide major spoilers--even Cassavetes himself, on the eve of release, published a piece in the NY Times giving important things away. But it's best to know nothing about the film before going in. So I'm not saying another word.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13914 on: September 13, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

Sils Maria - 7.5/10

My favorite Assayas (don't give this assertion too much weight, I have seen very few of them).
The film is about subjectivity: every character has a different way of seeing the play they're working on, and of course, there are parallels with the the real characters. Those parallels range from (sometimes painfully) obvious to pretty clever. But the greatest thing is the casting. Stewart is amazingly good in it. The rest if the cast is toop notch, which is far less surprising. Fun fact: an actress who almost was in one of my shorts but couldn't because of a planning conflict plays a part in it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:52:35 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: September 13, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »

Sils Maria - 7.5/10

Fun fact: an actress who almost was in one of my shorts but couldn't because of a planning conflict plays a part in it.
Name? (Maybe she will become famous some day . . . )

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13916 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »

Name? (Maybe she will become famous some day . . . )

Claire Tran. Really good actress and dancer. She may actually become famous.
http://www.clairetran.com/

Also, I don't know her very much but from the work sessions we had together, she's very cool.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:50:41 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »

Recorded Wicked as They Come (1956) on my DVR, when it played a little while ago as part of Arlene Dahl Day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars.

Started watching it a few days ago, saw like first third, and was really loving it.

Then I watched the last 2/3 today, and didn't love it as much.

Maybe it was because after I started watching WaTC, I saw Judgment at Nuremberg, a truly great film, so by the time I came back to finish off WaTC, I couldn't enjoy it as much.

Arlene Dahl is, of course, absolutely beautiful.

She plays a woman who u$e$ whatever guy $he need$ to on her way "to the top" (not a very original idea, of course). But instead of having her be purely evil, by the end the movie works to find a justification, which IMO makes it much less interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPOILER ALERT

All throughout the movie, whenever she works to get a guy's affections, so she can use him, he wil inevitably put his hands on her, and she looks like she is gonna die, she says she can't stand to be touched. We might figure that there was some incident in her early life that traumatized her. By the end of the movie, we find a newspaper clip that says that she, as a young girl, was beaten by hoodlums. (Just beaten, no mention of rape, I guess the Production Code wouldn't have liked that) So now she has decided to get her revenge on every man in the world, and at the end of the movie, as she is spending a few months in prison on an unintentional manslaughter charge, she realizes there was one man who truly loves her, she asks him if he thinks they can make it, he says, "I don't know ..." and walks away. The movie ends freezing on the  bars of the prison, having us wonder if she can get over the "internal" prison she has made for herself.

END OF SPOILERS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to find  justification for her actions, and leaving us wondering if maybe she can actually grow out of it and lead a normal life, IMO is less interesting than having us believe she is simply a cutthroat, money-loving girl.

I'll give this a 7/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: September 14, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »

Of Human Hearts (1938) 6.5/10 (TCM)

Story is set in a frontier Ohio town so perhaps you could call this a Western; though, the only thing really "Western" about it is that it is a a small, poor town, can't pay the preacher too much, etc. The preacher (Walter Huston) is strict with his son (played as a child by Gene Reynolds, as an adult by Jimmy Stewart), who is resentful of and has a troubled relationship with his father, but is close with his mother (Beulah Bondi), who got an Oscar-nomintion for Best Supporting Actress.
Eventually, the son leaves home to go to medical school in Baltimore, and he becomes a surgeon for the Union army.
According to Ben Manckiewicz on TCM, MGM was hesitant to do this movie cuz they didn't think a successful movie could be made with the Civil War as a backdrop - this being a year before Gone With the Wind was released. But the Civil War really is only a small part of this movie it doesn't come in at all until the final third or so of the movie, and even then, it really is unimportant in and of itself, it's really about the family issues.

This movie is really unremarkable except for one thing: There is a scene with John Carradine playing President Lincoln (it's really a ludicrous scene - the President of the United States in middle of the Civil War, calls one of the army's star surgeons away from where he is desperately needed on the battlefield to admonish him because he hasn't written his mother in a long time!) the makeup is incredibly awesome, I have never seen a screen Lincoln with better makeup! with other screen Lincoln's - I thought Henry Fonda's was very good (though you could see the line at the top of his forehead where the makeup ended, that was a big screwup); with Raymond Massey, the makeup dep't didn't really attempt to make him look like Lincoln, beyond the usual props like the top hat; with Daniel Day Lewis, I thought the makeup was terrific. But Carradine's in Of Human Hearts beats them all here is a picture of him in that movie http://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/3987 and here is another http://acertaincinema.com/media-tags/john-carradine/ in the third row from the top, second from the left

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:11:04 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: September 14, 2014, 01:59:58 AM »

Il Sorpasso (1962) - 7/10. An Italian buddy picture, a road trip film, an unfunny comedy: you can tag this thing with any number of descriptors. But probably the most accurate thing anyone can say about it is that it's the ultimate gay subtext flick. Catherine Spaak gets second billing in this, her name comes before Trintignant's, and yet we wait and wait for her to appear. What the cuss? Then I understood. I wondered if others had picked up on the obvious, so I went to IMDb and looked for relevant comments. They were there: The car, of course, is the perfect phallic symbol. The men do not speak the love they dare not name, but settle for the throb of the Lancia on their way to--not le petite mort--but his older brother.

this movie will be playing on TCM on Monday at 2 AM Eastern time http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-09-14

Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM