Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:47:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762549 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14685 on: February 01, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »

Easy: Where's the sax?
Uh, with the asshole who got kicked out of the band?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: February 01, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »

I saw Payback (1999) at the theater as a kid and there was just something I didn't like about it, like I subconsciously knew there was something that came before it that was a million times better (though I should give the DC a chance, maybe I was too harsh). When I saw Point Blank (1967) several years later, it all made sense, sort of. This talk about the movie made me realize I still haven't watched my copy of the bluray yet. it's been a few years since I've last seen it.

SPOILERS ABOUND

Point Blank (1967)

While no movie is perfect this comes incredibly close: the only things I can halfway criticize is the music during Walker's confrontation of his estranged wife scene, which is  a little dated, and maybe there should have been a couple minutes chopped off the scene where Marvin and Angie are hanging out at that amazing house waiting for Carroll O'Connor's character to arrive.

It's a great revenge flick from two angles: Walker and Fairfax's, which saves the final scene from feeling anti-climatic. While this is a time capsule of 1967 LA and SF, this does not feel dated at all. Any tricks used here feel just as impactful and aren't the typical hokey 'new wave' posturing of late 60s Hollywood. This was your older brothers Bonnie and Clyde, which came out the same month. People saw the wrong movie, with all due respect.

Also out of the quiet brooding hitman flicks (Pale Flower, Le Samourai, The Driver, etc.), this one has the best story, though I probably enjoy Pale Flower just as much. The first hour of this movie is otherworldly great, every scene is a winner.

There was so much thought put into all aspects of filmmaking: lighting, editing, writing, casting, set design - everything clicks like few movies have.

14/10 easily one of my favorite 10-15 movies ever.

Angie has probably never looked better. That haircut she's sporting in this really suits her well. I might take her over Claudia.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14687 on: February 01, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »

Foxcatcher - 6/10
The first hour is 9/10: fascinating and perfectly done. The next one is 4/10: far less interesting stuff takes place, the characters are all wasted... and the direction becomes average: when you're going for ultra minimalist storytelling and camerawork, you'd better have smart things to say for you to express them in a smart way. That's what the first hour is about. When the story and the characters become weaker, the slightlest shot ends up heavily underlining some basic stuff, destroying the whole purpose of the movie and its storytelling.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:46:20 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14688 on: February 03, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »

Selma - 7/10 - Typically Oscar-baity biopic.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: February 04, 2015, 06:25:40 AM »

Sauve qui peut (la vie)/Every Man For Himself (1980) 1080p - 3/10. This was the first Godard film I ever watched, in a cinema, when it first toured the U.S. I hadn't remembered much about it--only that it had these gratuitous slow-motion effects, and that there was a female character who liked to cycle. After watching this film, more than 30 years ago, I never bothered with any other Godard films for 2 decades. Re-watching the film yesterday on Criterion Blu-ray (10/10) reminded me why.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14690 on: February 04, 2015, 09:16:49 AM »

Scenic Route - 4/10

I had never heard of it before I watched it on Netflix. Interesting, rather well done but with terrible ending. Dialogues and performance are good, but with this kind of films they need to be great.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:33:06 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »

The Verdict (1982) - 5 or 6/10

Couldn't really get into it. Blank.

I must correct myself: this is a good movie. It features more subtle and elegant ways to portray certain problems, that in most similar movies the poor viewer gets constantly hammered on the nose with. Paul Newman offers a great award-deserving performance, the other cast members also contribute.

7.7/10

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:31:51 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: February 06, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

Serpico (1973) - (just below the) 8/10

Certainly not a beautiful film, but very effective. I liked Pacino and the rest. The problem is it is rather thin story/energy-wise in a couple of places to be a masterpiece.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: February 06, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »

Certainly not a beautiful film, but very effective. I liked Pacino and the rest. The problem is it is rather thin story/energy-wise in a couple of places to be a masterpiece.
Hope you watched the Blu-ray (or a restored print).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: February 06, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »

Robert Harris sez:
One doesn't have to listen too closely to hear the strains of Ben-Hur, which would come four years later, in Miklos Rozsa's beautiful score for Vincente Minnelli's 1956 Lust for Life.

Produced in what were still the early days of tri-pack color negative, a decision was made, possibly by Mr. Minnelli, as he notes it in his autobiography, to shoot in AnscoColor.

Apparently using every last roll and short end extant at the time.  Ansco (Agfa) wasn't a bad stock.  It just wasn't the norm, and threw a large wrench into what was becoming a standardization of processing, duplicating, and printing the early Eastman Color 5248.

What one can see, as differentiating one stock from the other, is an ability to handle blacks and some colors differently, and possibly better.  That was the intent of the filmmaker, against the wishes of his cinematographer Freddie Young, who would have preferred to massage Eastman a bit to get closer to the filmmaker's wishes.

Lust for Life was a huge production for M-G-M in 1956.  It was one of the studio's halo films for the year, and as such it had a very special attribute.  A featurette.  Something that would not become the norm for marketing for another decade.  Van Gogh: Darkness into Light is new to the Blu-ray.

it's very special featurette, hosted by Dore Schary, then head of production for the studio.

Lust for Life was a big deal.  Produced by John Houseman, and starring Kirk Douglas (as Vincent Van Gogh), Anthony Quinn, James Donald, Pamela Brown and Everett Sloane, it stands the test of time as a magnificent production for the era.

How does the Blu-ray look and sound?

In a word, magnificent.  Throw in perfect as a second word.

Defined by a new 4k scan from the original negative, the data has been beautifully colored, with grain remaining.  Great blacks, shadow detail.  Dark sequences stand out as well as those in sunlight.  The audio is stereo, befitting its CinemaScope imagery.

Lust for Life is a great film biography, brought to us with perfection by Warner Bros.  Currently, it's a bargain at under $14 on Amazon.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/338528-a-few-words-about-lust-for-life-in-blu-ray/#entry4201628

Gonna watch this tonite!!!

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »

Hope you watched the Blu-ray (or a restored print).

Afro

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: February 06, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »

It's been a looooong time since I've seen it. Should rewatch it.

The Raid: Redemption 2/5

I'll give a point to the choreography and another for having the choreography in frame without shaking. I don't understand the hype or love for it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14697 on: February 06, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »

The Night Porter - 3/10 - 2nd viewing, hated it like the first time. DVD Savant recently gave the Criterion release a rave, which makes me suspect Drink's been right about him all along.

Chinatown - 8/10 - 2nd (?) viewing. Really loved the subtle plotting and visual storytelling this time around, more than its more obvious aesthetic and acting qualities.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14698 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »

Night Moves, Arthur Penn, 1975 - 4/10

Gene Hackman and the final are good. The rest is a boring melodrama coupled with lazy filmmaking. I almost quited several times but stayed because the TV program said the last 15 minutes are good. They are.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:00:21 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: February 07, 2015, 03:24:08 AM »

Leadbelly (1976) Dir Gordon Parks, The life of Blues and folk singer Huddie Leadbetter, nicknamed Leadbelly. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM