Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 04:29:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842295 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14835 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:40 AM »

A Coffee in Berlin (2014) 1080p - 7/10. According to the director (some guy named Jan Ole Gerster), this film is a road movie that never leaves town. It's also about a guy who can't, until the end, get a cup of coffee. Actually, it's best described as a story about an aimless millennial (Tom Schilling--again, who?) wandering about having encounters--some random, some arranged--with friends, families, and strangers. Some to the encounters are interesting, some not. But all the while the city of Berlin (itself a character!) appears to advantage, giving viewers it's best come-hither looks. Shot on a Red in B&W.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14836 on: February 26, 2015, 06:20:59 AM »

I don't know why you can't get this. A film that is re-watchable is better than one that's not. It's like novels that can be read over and over again. The repeatability is an indication of artistic depth. The work is not exhausted by a single viewing.

In many ways it's a better indicator than a simple rating.

A Coffee in Berlin (2014) 1080p - 7/10. According to the director (some guy named Jan Ole Gerster), this film is a road movie that never leaves town. It's also about a guy who can't, until the end, get a cup of coffee. Actually, it's best described as a story about an aimless millennial (Tom Schilling--again, who?) wandering about having encounters--some random, some arranged--with friends, families, and strangers. Some to the encounters are interesting, some not. But all the while the city of Berlin (itself a character!) appears to advantage, giving viewers it's best come-hither looks. Shot on a Red in B&W.

I wanted to see this one in theater but missed it at the time. Is there anything in it? Like some truth about millennials, or touching moments, great dialogues or is it just a student film that gets some scenes right?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: February 26, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

I wanted to see this one in theater but missed it at the time. Is there anything in it? Like some truth about millennials, or touching moments, great dialogues or is it just a student film that gets some scenes right?
Probably the latter. But the photography is glorious. And it's great to see Berlin so well represented (the best it's been shown since Wings of Desire, probably). Oh, and the film has a really nice jazz score.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »

Violent City - 3/5

The over lighting for the interior scenes was rough but overall, I enjoyed what I saw.

The Dogs of War - 5/5

I really enjoyed this.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: February 27, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »

Focus (2015) IMAX -  5/10. Will Smith is a con-man. Margot Robbie becomes his protégé. They become lovers. They pull some cons. Eventually we get to the point where everyone wonders who's conning whom. Then we all go home. But we keep the sights of Buenos Aires in our hearts. Also the crap soundtrack. Not really a film worth seeing--Ms. Robbie doesn't even, er, dis-Robbie in this one (sorry). Needless to say, the IMAX upgrade adds nothing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14840 on: February 27, 2015, 06:26:26 AM »

Violent City - 3/5

The over lighting for the interior scenes was rough but overall, I enjoyed what I saw.

The Dogs of War - 5/5

I really enjoyed this.
What about the over lighting of the exterior scenes in The Dogs of War? Apart from that, I agree, a great film, but the night-raid lighting was complete B.S.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14841 on: February 27, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »

This dang thread has over a million views. What are we doing with our lives...

And I just went over 11,000 posts. What a day to be alive.

If you had written 11,000 film reviews for your blog you'd already be the new Roger Ebert.

U-Turn (Oliver Stone, 1997) - 6.5/10

I never knew this film existed. Thank you, Netflix. Fun one. Looks like a good first film. I usually like Sean Penn but in this one he's just over-Sean Penning for nothing.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »

U-Turn (Oliver Stone, 1997) - 6.5/10

I never knew this film existed. Thank you, Netflix. Fun one. Looks like a good first film. I usually like Sean Penn but in this one he's just over-Sean Penning for nothing.
I'm very excited about the blu, which I think is shipping this week. This is only one of two Oliver Stone films I can stand (and it's a neo-noir!).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »

Lenny (1974) 1080p - 8/10. Did they know how to make films in the 70s or what? (Before Spielberg dumbed everything down, that is). Bruce Surtees' b&w photography provides viewers with dense slices of cake and the montage is some of the best ever (but Fosse was obviously inspired by Puzzle of a Downfall Child). Hoffman is both annoying and watchable. Best of all, the film's First Amendment advocacy is supported by its choice of subjects. Lenny Bruce was such a jerk that, if he was entitled to freedom of expression, then we all are. It's a message of continuing relevance. Profanity is no longer an issue, but we may actually have less free speech now than then.
Here's the relevant passage in the new Blu-ray review piece:
Lenny is presented on Blu-ray with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.85:1. Bruce Surtees' Academy Award nominated black and white photography looks incredibly lustrous in this high definition presentation, aided by really sumptuously deep black levels and nicely modulated gray scale. A lot of the club scenes (and even other scenes) play out against either total darkness or something very close to it, and despite this artifice, detail remains consistently strong throughout the presentation.
This film is essential viewing (i.e. Drink has never seen/never will see it).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14844 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »

I'm very excited about the blu, which I think is shipping this week. This is only one of two Oliver Stone films I can stand (and it's a neo-noir!).

It's ultra neo. I'd say New Age Noir.
What is the other one?

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

Salvadorwith Jimmy (of course!)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: February 27, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »

This film is essential viewing (i.e. Drink has never seen/never will see it).

It is Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: February 27, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

What about the over lighting of the exterior scenes in The Dogs of War? Apart from that, I agree, a great film, but the night-raid lighting was complete B.S.
That only goes to ask if it hindered my experience in watching the film.

The Dogs of War = Nope
Violent City = Yes, Telly Savalas shining bald head was only an instant away from turning into the sun itself.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14848 on: February 27, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »

Cromwell - 5/10 - Dull historical epic, made marginally watchable by Alec Guinness and a few impressive battle scenes. Richard Harris is terrible.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

The Last Starfighter (1984) - 6/10

Hard to rate objectively, but let's say it's from the time when even rip-offs had a certain charm.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM