Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:53:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1801391 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16410 on: October 22, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Real life is like that. I understand they phony-ed up the FAA stuff, just to add some drama. Apparently (I haven't seen the film), it didn't work.

Now if it had been revealed that Sully was actually a killer cyborg . . .  Cheesy

Most of the movie is about the second-guessing by the FAA.

The plane incident is supposed to be incredibly accurate. Problem is, you can't make an entire movie out of an incident that took just a few minutes (208 seconds betwen when the birds hit the engines and when the plane landed in the water. Less than half-hour till all passengers were rescued by boats. So most of the movie shows the FAA investigation and then the actual plane ibcident is shown in flashback. Just doesn't lend itself to being a great movie script. Eastwood did a decent job with not-great material. It'a worth renting/streaming and watching once for the re-creation of the plane stuff, but not spending $15 on a Manhattan theater ($30 for me and the babe!)

Yeah, the theater prices keep rising. I saw this at City Cinemas on East 86th St and 3rd Avenue. $15 a ticket. You can usually buy a DVD for that price or a BRD for a little more.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16411 on: October 25, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »

Real life is like that. I understand they phony-ed up the FAA stuff, just to add some drama. Apparently (I haven't seen the film), it didn't work.

Now if it had been revealed that Sully was actually a killer cyborg . . .  Cheesy

Where did you read about the phonying-up? Is there an article? The movie makes the FAA people into total jerks; I was wondering how much of it is accurate. I'd like to read about how much of it is accurate. If you don't know of a particular article, I can just Google it  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16412 on: October 26, 2016, 09:48:02 AM »

If you don't know of a particular article, I can just Google it  Smiley
This is probably your best path.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16413 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »

The Dresser (2015) - 9/10. An aged thespian (Anthony Hopkins) attempts one last performance as Lear, helped by the man who makes him up each night (Ian McKellan). Based on the same drama adapted for the 1983 film of the same name (the 83 version featured Albert Finney and Tom Courtney is the roles of actor and dresser, respectively), this made-for-TV production is stage-bound (if not to say, backstage-bound) to a fault. Beside a single flaw (there's a sub-plot having to do with a stage manager who pines for the old actor), the story is very well written. Hopkins and McKellan, of course, turn in great performances, but McKellan is at times difficult to understand and I had to turn on the English subs for the hearing impaired. I don't know if I would want to have to choose between this new version and the one from 83. It's nice we have both.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16414 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:41 PM »

Decent review of Sully here

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/sully-2016

But comparing the pilot vs. the FAA to one of Eastwood's Western shootouts? Eh  

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16415 on: October 30, 2016, 11:55:49 PM »

Out of Africa (1985) 7/10

I saw this on DVD. Doesn't look too perfect; I am sure the BRD looks nicer.

Meryl Streep was, of course, incredible. But otherwise this was an overrated film IMO. 7/10 is the absolute, absolute max I can give it. Maybe it even deserves less. Perhaps I'd go higher if I had seen the BRD. But 7 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director? Sounds a bit much to me.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:11:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16416 on: November 01, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »

Down to the Japan Society last night for a 50th anniversary screening (35mm) of The Face of Another. Tatsuya Nakadai, the star, now a chipper 83, spoke afterwards.

The Face of Another (1966) - 8/10. A man, his head in bandages from an industrial accident, has been scarred for life. Bitter, he contemplates disfiguring his wife as a means of developing a renewed mutual regard. He discards the notion when his doctor offers him a better alternative: a mask made of synthetic skin. With the mask he is no longer himself. He takes an apartment and develops a second identity. He then puts his plan into action: he will approach his wife as a stranger and attempt to seduce her.

Boutique director Teshigahara put together this ultimate art house project (from a novel by Kobo Abe; music by Toru Takemitsu). Although dull at times, the film has enough weirdness going to keep viewers viewing. Last night's audience chuckled all through the seduction scene (I noticed no walk-outs at this sold-out event).

Nakadai afterwards talked about masks and read from a contemporary review of the film by Yukio Mishima (Nakadai spoke only in Japanese while a translator relayed his words in English). He took one question from the audience, from a man who spoke Japanese, who explained he had come from California just for this event. He asked Nakadai what had led him to become an actor. Nakadai answered with a long, polished response talking about his impoverished childhood and aborted career as a boxer. It was all very nice but nothing you couldn't get from the internet. Why do people come out for these meetings only to ask the most pedestrian questions?

Nakadai ended by inviting everyone to a screening of Sword of Doom on Saturday. Turns out, though, that one will be at The Museum of the Moving Image, and there's not way I'm going to Astoria, Queens just for that. I've got the Criterion Blu-ray, man! Then it looked look we were going to be able to come down to the lobby to shake hands with Nakadai, but the staff spirited him away in the Japan Society elevator. Oh well, the free commemorative post card I got from the lobby table is very nice.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16417 on: November 02, 2016, 02:52:39 AM »

The Cabin in the Wood
Second watch. Still not sure weither I like it or not. It's smart and filled with lots of great idea but in average they probably dropped the (great) ball.

Incendies 4/10
Wow, that was bad. A few good scenes, a few great shots, apart from that it's mostly boring and cheap with terrible dialogues. I don't thing I'll keep digging into Villeneuve's past. Still looking forward to his future works.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16418 on: November 02, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - 1080p. I remember liking this in the cinema on its initial US run, but home video versions have been problematic. But here at last we have a new Blu with a great image (the 4K HD disc is supposed to be even better). Great vistas! Great lighting! Great skin tones! And those fight scenes--I can actually tell what's going on. The music sounds good too (Yo-yo Ma cello solos!). The story has little depth, but the Lean-like production values (achieved on the cheap) are enjoyable. The film is a "7", the disc is a "10."

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16419 on: November 02, 2016, 07:22:28 AM »

Incendies 4/10
Wow, that was bad. A few good scenes, a few great shots, apart from that it's mostly boring and cheap with terrible dialogues. I don't thing I'll keep digging into Villeneuve's past. Still looking forward to his future works.

Really? Bad? ... grumble ... I think it is a strong film.

The Getaway (Peckinpah, 1972)

The virtuosity of the directing is astonishing. Peckinpah at his best in a less personal film than usual. 9/10

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:24:29 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16420 on: November 02, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »

Really? Bad? ... grumble ... I think it is a strong film.

I think it would be a great film if Villeneuve would do it now.

The Getaway (Peckinpah, 1972)

The virtuosity of the directing is astonishing. Peckinpah at his best in a less personal film than usual. 9/10

Bought it the other day, I haven't watched it for at least a decade. Cannot wait to see it again.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16421 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »

Bought it the other day, I haven't watched it for at least a decade. Cannot wait to see it again.
The first hour is just amazing. After that, I always feel my mind wandering away.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16422 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »

Incendies 4/10
the 'twist' ending was so awful. I thought for the most part the movie was intriguing and very well done. I'll likely never return to it though, too dark and the contrived ending im sure would effect the whole experience. He's certainly grown as a director since then

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16423 on: November 02, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »

I think it would be a great film if Villeneuve would do it now.

I think it is great film, don't exactly know what he would do better now. But then, I only watched it once.

The twist ending is of course very contrived, but I do not mind it.

You can't fail. I too have the French Blu. Guet-apens ... good apes? ... no ... not really ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16424 on: November 03, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »

I think it is great film, don't exactly know what he would do better now. But then, I only watched it once.

Better dialogues, better structure, better actors, better camerawork, better lights, better grading, better editing... I'm not sure he would do a better ending though Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1167 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM