Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 03:10:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1804510 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17460 on: November 09, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »

Pale Flower (1964) - 10/10. Best. Yakuza. Evah. Not Takemitsu's best score, however.
I would add that Pale Flower (imo) started the stylish, quiet brooding hitman subgenre.

It's my favorite Japanese movie of all time and maybe top 5 overall.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »

When You Read This Letter (1953) – 8/10. A woman’s picture, shot by the great Henri Alekan using many authentic exteriors of the Cannes setting, the story is fantastic is both senses of the word. When her parents are killed, a novice, Therese (Juliet Greco), leaves her convent in order to take care of her younger sister, Denise. Meanwhile a mature woman with money, staying at the Carlton, is being pursued by Max, a young man out for the main chance. The paths of Max and Denise cross, and although she does what she can, Therese cannot protect her sister from this lothario. Eventually, though, Max decides he loves not Denise but Therese, but Therese isn’t having any. Max is thoroughly worthless, but a charmer. His three love interests are in various stages of self-deception as he flits among them. It may be Max will leave town with one of the women, but not without the promise of a large sum of money attached.

Ginette Vincendeau,  in Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris (2003), finds character motivations in the film unconvincing. However she likes a lot of the mise-en-scene. “Particularly remarkable is a scene on the beach in which Therese, having pursued Max ostensibly to retrieve the money he has stolen, is finally seen to fall for his charm. Hit by a pebble Max has thrown at her . . . Therese falters and he holds her in his arms on the moonlit beach, with the sea in the background. The shot is held for an unusual two minutes and twenty-three seconds. Although Therese’s sudden change of heart seems badly motivated, the shot pictorially has a poetic charge which overrides narrative inconsistency. At that point too, Greco’s hair, which had hitherto been tightly pulled back, suddenly falls loose on her shoulders and she is finally her ‘real’ self, in the more familiar Greco image.” (42-43)
This film has so many great scenes, it's impossible to remember them all. Watching the new Gaumont blu last night I saw one I hadn't remembered: after the car wreck scheme miscarries, "our hero" is questioned by an examining magistrate. The scene is a wonderful bit of cat-and-mouse, with both sides thinking the other is the mouse. After the miscreant leaves the room the secretary asks what the judge thinks. The judge concludes (wrongly, as it happens) that the man had nothing to do with the "accident"--and more's the pity. That bit of cynicism is wonderfully delivered in a cameo by the writer of the film, Jacques Deval.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: November 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »

The 50th Anniversary Blu of The Prisoner is now out (from Network).

The Prisoner: "Many Happy Returns" (1967) - 8/10. I've always liked this episode, but it sure doesn't seem to make any sense. So, the Minders empty The Village, giving No. 6 the opportunity to escape. He goes back to London and makes a lot of noise and convinces "The Colonel" The Village exists and works out approximately where it is. Then the Minders return No. 6 to The Village. What was the point of letting him go in the first place? Here's something interesting, though: I watched this last night, on Friday, Nov. 10th. I had the text commentary turned on, and during the end credits this was revealed: the episode was originally aired in the UK on Friday, Nov. 10th 1967. Just a complete coincidence! I had no idea about that airdate until I watched the disc.

Danger Man: "Colony Three" (1964) - 10/10. Included in the 50th Anniversary set are two Danger Man episodes that seem to anticipate The Prisoner. This one has John Drake going undercover behind the Iron Curtain to take up residence in an ersatz English town where commie spies are trained. Just an amazing episode--it's actually better than a lot of Prisoner episodes. Interestingly, when it's time for Drake to be extracted, British Intelligence sends orders via Section One, the group responsible for Colony Three! And you will not believe the cynical ending. I guess I need to see more Danger Man episodes . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: November 11, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »

The 50th Anniversary Blu of The Prisoner is now out (from Network).

The Prisoner: "Many Happy Returns" (1967) - 8/10. I've always liked this episode, but it sure doesn't seem to make any sense. So, the Minders empty The Village, giving No. 6 the opportunity to escape. He goes back to London and makes a lot of noise and convinces "The Colonel" The Village exists and works out approximately where it is. Then the Minders return No. 6 to The Village. What was the point of letting him go in the first place? Here's something interesting, though: I watched this last night, on Friday, Nov. 10th. I had the text commentary turned on, and during the end credits this was revealed: the episode was originally aired in the UK on Friday, Nov. 10th 1967. Just a complete coincidence! I had no idea about that airdate until I watched the disc.

Danger Man: "Colony Three" (1964) - 10/10. Included in the 50th Anniversary set are two Danger Man episodes that seem to anticipate The Prisoner. This one has John Drake going undercover behind the Iron Curtain to take up residence in an ersatz English town where commie spies are trained. Just an amazing episode--it's actually better than a lot of Prisoner episodes. Interestingly, when it's time for Drake to be extracted, British Intelligence sends orders via Section One, the group responsible for Colony Three! And you will not believe the cynical ending. I guess I need to see more Danger Man episodes . . .

I always liked Danger Man/Secret Agent Man better than The Prisoner myself.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17464 on: November 12, 2017, 04:18:45 AM »

I never watched Danger Man, and only saw the first and the final episodes of The Prisoner. I think I would have absolutely love The Prisoner if I had watched it when I was a teen.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:24 AM »

Snow Dogs 3/6 , stale comedy with Cuba and Coburn , kinda liked it though

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:37 AM »

Cop Car (2015) Director: Jon Watts - with Kevin Bacon, James Freedson-Jackson, Hays Wellford, Camryn Manheim, Shea Whigham. Two kids who have run away from home find a sheriff cruiser in a wash. They get in find the keys and drive it away on a joy ride across the high plains. However the officer who left it was out burying the loose ends of a drug deal gone wrong. The two kids are having a great ol time until they hear a banging coming from the trunk. 7/10 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: November 12, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »

I've been watching some 50s Horror/Sci-fi lately. Never really looked into that before. Lots of fun new discoveries.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).
Them! (1954).
The Thing from Another World (1951).

All three extremely watchable.

The Blob (1958). Utterly disappointing. Judging by this movie it's hard to believe McQueen became such a star.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »

Mama's Dirty Girls (1974) a pretty ridiculous exploitation film starring Gloria Grahame. 5/10

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:11:31 AM by cigar joe » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:45 AM »

I bought me a The Prisoner DVD Box about 10 years ago.

It is so extremely entertaining that now only the last 2 episodes are left to watch. I think I will manage to watch these 2 episodes this week, or at least until Nov 2028. (but only if my girl friend leaves me (or me her) in between)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »

I Was a Communist for the FBI (1951) 7/10

Of course, today people will laugh at this, say it’s a bunch of Red-Scare hysteria, flag-waving written by J. Edgar Hoover; the movie even ends on a shot of a bust of Lincoln as “Battle Hymn of the Republic” plays! But it’s a decent movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »

"The Man that I Married"  1940.  An American woman and her German husband and child travel to 1938 Germany, he gets caught up in the Nazi movement.  Rate at least 7/10, historical snapshot of the times.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »

"The Man that I Married"  1940.  An American woman and her German husband and child travel to 1938 Germany, he gets caught up in the Nazi movement.  Rate at least 7/10, historical snapshot of the times.

What studio did this movie? It was very rare for American movie studios to do Nazi-related movies prior to America’s entry into WWII; the asshole Joseph Breen was against it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »

Ondine (2009) - 6/10

Visual, cute and somewhat appealing.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »

Night Train to Lisbon (2013) - 5/10

That feeling you've more or less seen it before... Nice to see Portugal in movies every now and then, though.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM