Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:08:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842606 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17475 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »

Ostrov (2006) - 7.5/10

Ahh, not for everybody but I enjoyed it throughout. Another visually interesting movie, and also psychologically well graduated too. I guess the problem is that every national cinema has its known commonplaces where it sooner or later drifts in: the story more often than not likes to be accommodating to those preferences. Skip it if spiritual voyages are not your thing.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17476 on: November 14, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »

Sbatti il mostro in prima pagina (1972) - 8/10

What can't you do with a little writing ingenuity, paired with a slight lack of political correctness and a tad of rascality, emanating from a realistic (not to say disillusioned) insight in the (at the time - or maybe even now?) current social momentum?

* Not to mention the genius of Gian Maria Volontè (without a rifle).

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: November 14, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

Love & Anarchy, (Film d'amore e d'anarchia) (1973) Pretty amusing tale about a farm boy who goes to Rome to kill Mussolini, his contact in Rome is a prostitute in a Roman brothel. He falls in love with one of the prostitutes there who tries to stop his mission. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »

Yokiro/The Geisha (1983) - 7/10. AnimEigo is doing a fine job of bringing out second-tier Japanese films, including lesser known samurai and Yakuza pictures. Last year they released Hideo Gosha's The Wolves, and now they follow-up with this, Gosha's attempt at combining a weepie with an action picture. I'm actually surprised at how well the two genres are integrated; but at 144 minutes I did become a little impatient waiting for the final reckoning. Also, 80s Japanese films have the unpleasant aroma of television about them. Still, this film is well plotted (from a novel), with a large cast of beautiful women, as well as Ogata Ken at his bad-ass best.
Watched this again last night and man, does that Jenkins know what he's talking about or what? Think I'd go an "8", though.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »

Shiner (2000) - (begging for a) 4/10

Crp, with an ''a''.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:40:31 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: November 15, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »

Sicario (2015) 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: November 16, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

Young, Violent, Dangerous (1976) Tomas Milian is a police commissioner on a manhunt for three criminals shooting up Milan. A couple of exciting car chases through the narrow city streets, the police look a bit stupid though and seemingly uncoordinated, it has a few either plot holes or cuts however.  Eleonora Giorgi was cute. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »

The Red Baron (2008) bio pic about Manfred Von Richthofen some nice aerial combat shots/CGI about 7/10. There's been a few films since the Blue Max covered WWI aerial combat back in 1966. There was that one about the I think it was the volunteer American Expeditionary Force before US involvement, I don't remember it's name and probably another. I need to see Wings and the others again to compare.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:13:30 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17483 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »

The Red Baron. I remember seeing that when it came out, my memory is a bit fuzzy about it, but I agree with most of the bad reviews on imdb. From a technical point of view it was not too bad, however this being a modern film it was badly bogged down with cringe-inducing PC and lectures right out of the 21st century, which of course was to be expected. The love story was completely unnecessary and on soap opera level. Another wasted opportunity, but then 95% of German movies are.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: November 18, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »

The Red Baron. I remember seeing that when it came out, my memory is a bit fuzzy about it, but I agree with most of the bad reviews on imdb. From a technical point of view it was not too bad, however this being a modern film it was badly bogged down with cringe-inducing PC and lectures right out of the 21st century, which of course was to be expected. The love story was completely unnecessary and on soap opera level. Another wasted opportunity, but then 95% of German movies are.

Agree there about the PC stuff. A while ago I was doing some research on the American fliers during the war, the life expectancy for the average fighter pilot was 2 weeks.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17485 on: November 18, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »

the life expectancy for the average fighter pilot was 2 weeks.

That sounds about right. Volunteering for that meant signing your own death warrant. If the pilots weren't shot down, there was a big chance the planes would simply crash because the technology was not particularly good during WW1.

Jessica Rabbit
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: November 20, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »

Looks and Smiles (1981) - 7.5/10

Now that's what you call realistic cinema, Kenny. The working class getting screwed in jolly old capitalist UK, compliments of Mrs. Thatcher. Flawless casting, but then again, having seen they weren't in anything else before or after I'm having doubts they weren't ''playing''.

* That UK (English) English, though... Lips Sealed

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:39:44 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17487 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:38 AM »

The Words (2012) - 6/10

You won't really miss much if you don't see it, as it feels rather predictable in places. Time-waster flick.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:39:04 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: November 20, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »

Walk East on Beacon (1952). Incredibly plodding anti-Commie movie, not even campy fun. It's on youtube. Give it a miss.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:08:13 PM by Jessica Rabbit » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17489 on: November 20, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

Walk East on Beacon (1952). Incredibly plodding anti-Commie movie, not even campy fun. It's on youtube. Give it a miss.

Unfortunately I didn't, it was part of a Columbia Film Noir Set.

Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM