Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2018, 05:02:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 1176 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1939707 times)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17565 on: January 11, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »

For You I Die (1947): Convict Paul Langton escapes from prison with Don Harvey. Harvey sends him off to a diner where his gf Cathy Downs works while taking care of things himself. But Downs doesn't want anything to do with Harvey, and falls in love with Langton. Poverty row noir that could've been a lot better. 6/10

Can be watched on yt in crap quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvToGIJqqk8

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17566 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »

The Mercenary- 3 out of 10. Just not my taste.  I know westerns are not known for too much character development, but this was to the extreme.  Just point machine guns and shoot. That was the entire movie...

Sometimes I really don't understand you ...

Or is there another film with that title ... Wink

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17567 on: January 11, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »

Sometimes I really don't understand you ...

Or is there another film with that title ... Wink

Everybody is not gonna like the same thing...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17568 on: January 11, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »

A Carter Burwell score does tend to have that effect.

As well as a certain actress.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17569 on: January 13, 2018, 03:59:15 AM »

Everybody is not gonna like the same thing...

There are two versions, the trimmed down A Professional Gun and the full 110 minute Il Mercenario, you may have watched the truncated version.
Check the run times.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17570 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:11 AM »

Last night was the opening night of the 1st Dutch silent film festival, and the first movie shown was F.W. Murnau's Faust (1926). Good stuff, with gorgeous cinematography, effects & sets. Emil Jannings steals every scene he's in as Mephisto, and Camilla Horn is also great as Faust's love. The story gets a bit slow & overly romantic in the middle third, but the opening & closing third are pretty dark in tone. It was a blast watching this on a big screen with live music (piano and, very subtle, drums). 8+/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17571 on: January 13, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »

Emil Jannings steals every scene he's in as Mephisto
Who does he steal his scenes from? Isn't Jannings the star? Does he steal the scenes from himself?

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17572 on: January 13, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »

Who does he steal his scenes from? Isn't Jannings the star? Does he steal the scenes from himself?

Haha, true... But he steals them from Gosta Ekman, who's billed first. Does that count? Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17573 on: January 13, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

Well, yeah, I guess so. But who IS Gosta Ekman?

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17574 on: January 13, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »

A Royal Scandal (1945) 9/10. Lubitsch by way of Preminger. A handsome Russian officer comes to the attention of Catherine the Great (Tallulah Bankhead)--much to the consternation of the young man's fiancée (Anne Baxter). The Empress's wily Chancellor (Charles Coburn), however, makes certain everything works out. I've never been such a big fan of Lubitsch, but here it all clicks. Ms. Bankhead was born to play the man-eating monarch, and deadpanning Coburn has the best lines of his career.  This is the very definition of droll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbEb3hg1ws
Still hella funny.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17575 on: January 14, 2018, 03:57:55 AM »

Mudbound (2017) Story of a Black man and a white man who return home from World War II to work on the same farm in rural Mississippi, watchable but it's been seen before in various guises. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17576 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:52 AM »

Noose For A Lady (1953): Pamela Alan is sentenced to death for killing her husband, but her stepdaughter Rona Anderson and cousin Dennis Price believe in her innocence. They have a week to try to find new leads and suspects before Alan will be executed. Decent murder mystery with the typical gathering of suspects finale. 6/10

Watched this on the Network UK DVD. Good quality, altho I wish they'd include subtitles more often.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17577 on: January 18, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »

New Battles Without Honour and Humanity (1974) - 7/10. Kind of the digest version of the original series, with different characters, and a lot of the actors reassigned to new roles. The whole bit about guys needing to be shot 14 times before they die still holds. No one ever aims for the head!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17578 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »

Raw Deal (1948) - 4/10. Underwritten characters in situations I find impossible to believe. Fuck.

Phantom Thread (2017) - 3/10. Underwritten characters in situations I find impossible to believe. Fuck!

Matinee (1993) -2/10. FUCK!

Lost River (2013) 8/10. Ryan Gosling directed a film and it didn’t totally bite? In fact, it’s actually pretty good. Holy fuck!

L'avenir/Things to Come (2016) 5/10. A Frenchwoman has a mid-life crisis, but it’s OK because she’s a philosophy teacher who has plenty of money and looks like Isabelle Huppert. And France is a travel-folder paradise! Bourgeois fantasy B.S.

Vertigo (1958) 11/10. Blu-ray Image, 9/10. 60th Anniversary viewing. If you are going for the greatest movie ever filmed, it’s always good to have on board the greatest score ever composed.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17579 on: January 24, 2018, 06:23:26 AM »

Two by Claude Autant-Lara, both with Odette Joyeux.

Douce (1943) – 7/10. Bizzare love quadrangle: In an aristocratic household (1870s France), a widower is in love with his daughter’s governess (Madeleine Robinson). The governess, meanwhile, is in a relationship with the steward of the family’s estates. That steward is also the object of desire of the daughter, Douce (Joyeux). It will all end in tears. But despite the downer ending, Marguerite Moreno, so good in the Guitry films, is on hand as the Countess de Bonafe, delivering one zinger after another (she must have a hundred of them). I never before laughed so hard on my way to a castrophe.

Sylvie and the Phantom (1946) – 6/10. A girl (Joyeux) in love with the portrait of a dead ancestor, gets a party with actors playing ghosts. A real ghost is on hand, too, the dead guy in the painting. This non-speaking role is assayed by Jacques Tati himself (looking impossibly young). Kind of a Gallic attempt at a Topper film—amusing in places but not worth a re-watch.

Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 1176 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM