Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2018, 03:01:33 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1191
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2115891 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17625 : February 19, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »

Black Panther (2018) - 2/10. Insufferable. Worst superhero film ever? Certainly a contender (even the Stan Lee cameo is the worst ever).

What's funny is that I thought Moorman was talking about a film that was about The Black Pathers, I found out earlier today it's about another superhero.  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17626 : February 20, 2018, 01:30:26 AM »

You watched his latest films?

The latest one I saw was Jeune et Jolie, which felt way too much like a promising first short movie. I have seen a big chunk of the one before too (Dans la Maison). I haven't seen more than the trailers for his 3 last ones (probably several clips from Franz at the time because it intrigued me a bit but I cannot remember then). Have you seen everything?

« : February 20, 2018, 01:33:22 AM noodles_leone »

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17627 : February 20, 2018, 02:30:18 AM »

No, not all, mainly cause nowadays I have a big time problem, and can only watch a fractional amount of those I'm interested in.

I liked Jeune et jolie very much. 9/10

Le Refuge was of similar quality, and a re-watch of Swimming Pool was an intensive experience.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17628 : February 20, 2018, 06:30:18 AM »

From what I've seen, Swimming Pool is my favorite of his post-8 Women work but there is too much laziness in it for me. Like that extended wide shot when she enters the house for the first time that doesn't mean anything (an extended close up of her face would have been the easiest meaningful choice). I saw it twice on TV with a terrible sound, next time will be either VOD or DVD but I want a listenable sound.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17629 : February 20, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »

Bergman at 100. Film Forum has an amazing retro going now: a ton of Bergman films, a ton of them restorations. Saw two early films last night (from his Bergman Before he was Bergman period). They looked fabulous and I enjoyed them both.

It Rains on Our Love (1946) - 7/10. Boy meets girl, boy lives with girl, boy and girl want to get married but--wouldn't you know?--the Swedish bureaucracy won't let them! Oh well, there's a nice man with an umbrella who seems to be steering their destinies, so it will probably all work out (yes, it rains on our love and it will always rain on our love; at the end the man with the umbrella passes the instrument over to the couple: take care and keep moving).

Music in Darkness (1948) - 7/10. During his military service, a promising pianist is blinded in an accident. Consumed with self-pity, he doesn't properly appreciate the family maid (Mai Zetterling) who loves him and could help him find happiness. He moves away and years of suffering ensue. Later the two are reunited. After some awkwardness, the pair develop as a couple and decide to get married. Unhappily, there's this damned Swedish bureaucracy that just might ruin everything . . . but, it's all headed toward a happy ending, so no worries. Bergman was such a sentimental old softy! He certainly found the secret to success on this picture, though--lots of close-ups of Mai Zetterling. I could stare at images of her forever.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17630 : February 20, 2018, 06:46:46 AM »

From what I've seen, Swimming Pool is my favorite of his post-8 Women work but there is too much laziness in it for me.

Can't remember anything lazy in it. Quite contrary it was a beautifully controlled story telling.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17631 : February 21, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »

Jusqu'ŗ la Garde / Custody (2018) 7/10
Here is a good French film, Stanton. A family thriller about a divorce gone wrong. You shouldn't read anything about it before seeing it, since most of its appeal comes from the tension and the doubt you have on the characters. It won the Silver Lion in Venice.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17632 : February 21, 2018, 02:51:37 AM »

I watch permanently good French films on Arte. 7/10 does not sound that spectacular.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17633 : February 21, 2018, 03:24:17 AM »

I watch permanently good French films on Arte. 7/10 does not sound that spectacular.

There are only a couple of 7/10 french films a year for me. But it isn't a spectacular film: it's (alleged?) domestic abuse as a realistic and very effective thriller. But it isn't anything more than that. Think Suspicion in real life.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17634 : February 21, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »

There are only a couple of 7/10 french films a year for me. But it isn't a spectacular film: it's (alleged?) domestic abuse as a realistic and very effective thriller. But it isn't anything more than that. Think Suspicion in real life.
There's probably no hope for stanton, but you've sold me. I'll keep my eye out for that.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #17635 : February 21, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »

Black Panther (2018).   This lived BEYOND the hype its been getting.  Everything about the film is original and spectacular.   Heck, i would put it in a early running for best picture of the year... A masterpiece, 10 out of 10...

Black Panther (2018) - 2/10. Insufferable. Worst superhero film ever? Certainly a contender (even the Stan Lee cameo is the worst ever).

Wow- so aside from some intentional baiting by DJ which no doubt knocked his rating down a couple of notches, you guys are at opposite extremes here...

Hmmm....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17636 : February 21, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »

It just depends on how much ones tastes have been formed by TV. I can't stand the medium, so when I get even a whiff of it in a film . . .

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17637 : February 22, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »

To amplify: by "TV" I mean the kind of threadbare writing typical of the medium. Here is an example from an early point in the movie (NB: This is not an exact transcription, but it would pass Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" standard):

Scene One:
TíChalla (Black Panther): Iíll just swoop down now and extract TíCherry from her secret mission.
Scary Bald Bitch: Be sure not to freeze when you see TíCherry.
TíChalla: Hey, no way! Iím not gonna freeze when I see the girl I love. Why would I do that? Uh-uh. Not happening. Wouldnít happen in a million years. No, no, no, no, no.

Scene Two:
TíChalla: [tongue-tied and frozen] Oh, hi,  TíCh-ch-ch . . .
TíCherry: Look out! Thereís an anonymous bad guy getting ready to kill you!
Scary Bald Bitch: [clubbing anonymous bad guy before turning an accusing eye on TíChalla] You froze!
TíChalla: I didnít!

Scene Three:
TíSister: Did he freeze?
Scary Bald Bitch: Yup.
TíChalla: I didnít! Stop being so mean to me!

[In the audience, every moron laughing hysterically.]
And you have to put up with 2 more hours of that kind of thing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17638 : February 23, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »

Sawdust and Tinsel / Gycklarnas afton (1953) - 8/10. In turn-of-the-century Swedenó19th to 20th, natchóthe circus comes to town. Trouble is, itís not a very good circus, as its destitute ringleader (Ake Gronberg) knows. His mistress, the bareback rider (Harriet Andersson) also knows. Both want out of their relationship and their lives as circus people, and are hoping the provincial town theyíve come to will provide them with the means of escape. But, as they will separately learn, bourgeois life is for them illusory, and anyway, the show must go on. Bergman makes the connection between the circus and the theater explicit, so this film could be considered the first of a theater trilogy that continues with Smiles Of a Summer Night (1955) and concludes with The Magician (1958). According to Peter Cowie, who provides commentary of the Criterion disc, the film owes a lot to one with Emil JanningsóI think itís called Jealousy (1925)--but with lines from Strindberg thrown in. Cowie is a knowledgeable man, and I donít doubt what he says, but Professor Jenkins was struck by how similar the movie is to a couple made by Ozu, A Story of Floating Weeds (1934), and its remake, Floating Weeds (1959). Itís unlikely, however, that Ozu and Bergman knew each otherís work. N.B. This is the first time Bergman worked with Sven Nykvist, one of 3 cinematographers on the picture.
The Bergman retro down at Film Forum continues apace. Unhappily, I can't get down there for every screening. Happily, though, the Jenkins Home Video Collection is replete with many of the titles already. Dusted off this old Criterion disc and gave it a spin. Dusted off my old review which--amazing to tell--accurately expresses my current feelings almost 5 years before the fact.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17639 : February 23, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »

Crossfire (1947) 8/10 (TCM; third viewing)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1191  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines