Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 09:05:24 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1198
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2236595 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17640 : February 24, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »

To back up Jenkins, I absolutely despise the Marvel movies or the "Universe". They look like shit with a color palette ranging from a cement block to a cement block, the scores, er, muzak, is mundane, generic background noise at its most effective, the comedy is just cringe worthy and the writing is Save the Cat trash with no real stakes, weak villains, over-powered protagonists and is a bloated, 2+ hour TV episode that only serves a purpose for the next episode to air and to spin off as many of the characters into identical piece of shit spinoffs/sequels/prequels that lack any and all creative integrity.

In other words, the "MCU" is focus group trash. And it's disgusting that this lowest common denominator model has been so successful. They put all of their chips into appealing to the uneducated viewer, the teenager, the focus group fat ass, et al and they won huge. That's just fucking awful.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17641 : February 24, 2018, 11:52:14 PM »

I totally agree but the big avantage of creating a complete universe and flooding the world with content is that at some point you end up with a powerful mythology (whatever turds you’re doing) and once you have that, you have the ability to work on much more interesting stuff. Logan is a great example of that (and the black and white version looks absoly gorgeous). To a lesser example, the Netflix/Marvel show Daredevil isn’t great but takes place in Hell’s Kitchen after NYC was partly destroyed by the avengers: it’s a much darker look at the consequences of the superhero’s adventures.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17642 : February 26, 2018, 03:31:38 AM »

Watched several movies over the weekend...

The Locket (1946): Laraine Day is about to marry Gene Raymond, when ex-husband Brian Aherne warns him about her, and her past (which also includes Robert Mitchum). Primarily known for its flashback within a flashback within a flashback, this psychological noir/melodrama is highly enjoyable, altho it does lack some tension. 8/10

Don't Torture A Duckling (1972): Italian thriller/giallo about a small town where several young boys are killed for no apparent reason. Plenty of symbolism and red herrings, as well as a naked Barbara Bouchet :D, make this a 7/10

The Commuter (2018): Decided to catch one of Liam Neeson's final action thrillers in the cinema. I like him as an actor, but I'm glad he's finally abandoning this niche he carved out for himself. It's expertly made but everything about this movie is a cliché. 6-/10

The St. Louis Bank Robbery (1959): Based on an actual bank robbery gone wrong, this heist movie focuses more on the robbers than on the robbery itself. Quite interesting with its fly-on-the-wall approach, it's not a typical Hollywood heist movie. Also has an early role for Steve McQueen. 7-/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17643 : February 26, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »

The Silence (1963) - 1/10. Pretentious and dull is not a formula for success. I think the inept use of rear projection in this is what Trier was sending up in Europa/Zentropa.

The Magician (1958) - 8/10. Pretentious and inspired, on the other hand, can pay dividends. As with Sawdust and Tinsel, the director underlines the connection between traveling performers and the theater. He then goes one step beyond to suggest that theater has replaced the empty rituals of organized religion. Not much of an idea, but at least it gives us insight into the way Bergman thinks.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17644 : February 27, 2018, 05:47:33 AM »

Saint Jack (1978) - 6/10. Ben Gazzara IS Jackie TreehornJack Flowers, a brothel owner in Singapore during the Vietnam War. The local Chinese gangsters, however, make things tough for him. He befriends an ex-pat Brit (Denholm Elliot) who has a dream of going back home to England, but the man dies--there's no going home, for him or for Jack. This is Bogdanovich at his most Cassavetes-like. The lack of plot is compensated for by Gazzara's charisma and the Singapore locations. Happily, the current home video release has a then-and-now locations comparison piece. A few places remain--the Shangri-La Hotel, and the Botanic Gardens--but the Singapore of 1978 is almost completely gone. It lives on in this film, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Moorman

« #17645 : February 27, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »

Creed (2015)  This was a fantastic entry into the Rocky series. I've been following the director, Ryan Coogler after i read reviews of Creed when it first came out. Decided to go ahead and watch this.  This just might be Slyvestor Stallone's best career performance. I know he was nominated for best supporting actor in this one.  The movie mirrored the original Rocky but gave it a modern spin.  There was nothing cheesy about it, which is a very real risk when adding a movie to a franchise like Rocky. Excellently done.  8 1/2 out of 10...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17646 : February 27, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »

Creed (2015)  This was a fantastic entry into the Rocky series. I've been following the director, Ryan Coogler after i read reviews of Creed when it first came out. Decided to go ahead and watch this.  This just might be Slyvestor Stallone's best career performance. I know he was nominated for best supporting actor in this one.  The movie mirrored the original Rocky but gave it a modern spin.  There was nothing cheesy about it, which is a very real risk when adding a movie to a franchise like Rocky. Excellently done.  8 1/2 out of 10...

It was pretty well done with a couple of good surprises, but the main flaw of the movie is that none of what happens in it is even remotely interesting to me. I really don't get how a screenplay like this one can be greenlighted. Don't get me wrong: I'm glad it was made, it's rather pretty to look at.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17647 : February 28, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »

Two with Newman, both from Ross MacDonald books, both released yesterday on blu. The transfers are terrific.

Harper
(1966) – 5/10. Paul Newman is Harper. Harper looks for trouble. See Harper. See Harper look. Look. Harper has a  gun. It shoots straight. See Harper shoot straight. See Harper fight. Harper has many fights. Fight, Harper, fight. See a girl. Girls go for Harper. See girls go. See people. See tricky people. See Harper and the tricky people: Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris, Arthur Hill, Roy Jensen, Janet Leigh, Strother Martin, Pamela Tiffin, Robert Wagner, Robert Webber, Shelley Winters. See also bad 60s lighting, cheap sets, a boring kidnap plot. See the sequel.

The Drowning Pool (1975) – 6/10. An improvement over the first film. The story is a bit better, and the change of venue (New Orleans in for LA) perks things up (although Tony Franciosa’s attempt at a Cajun accent is regrettable). The biggest plus, though, is the substitution of Gordon Willis for Conrad Hall. Hall was a good b&w DP, but he has never been able to do much of interest in color. Willis, coming off Godfather 2 was, at this point, on his way to becoming a legend. And it’s the 70s! Melanie Griffith, fresh off of Night Moves where she played jail bait, is here playing jail bait. What range that girl had!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17648 : February 28, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »

Two with Newman, both from Ross MacDonald books, both released yesterday on blu. The transfers are terrific.

Harper[/b] (1966) – 5/10. Paul Newman is Harper. Harper looks for trouble. See Harper. See Harper look. Look. Harper has a  gun. It shoots straight. See Harper shoot straight. See Harper fight. Harper has many fights. Fight, Harper, fight. See a girl. Girls go for [/b]Harper. See girls go. See people. See tricky people. See Harper and the tricky people: Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris, Arthur Hill, Roy Jensen, Janet Leigh, Strother Martin, Pamela Tiffin, Robert Wagner, Robert Webber, Shelley Winters. See also bad 60s lighting, cheap sets, a boring kidnap plot. See the sequel.

The Drowning Pool (1975) – 6/10. An improvement over the first film. The story is a bit better, and the change of venue (New Orleans in for LA) perks things up (although Tony Franciosa’s attempt at a Cajun accent is regrettable). The biggest plus, though, is the substitution of Gordon Willis for Conrad Hall. Hall was a good b&w DP, but he has never been able to do much of interest in color. Willis, coming off Godfather 2 was, at this point, on his way to becoming a legend. And it’s the 70s! Melanie Griffith, fresh off of Night Moves where she played jail bait, is here playing jail bait. What range that girl had!

I'd go up a couple of notches for each 6-7/10 for Harper, really like Strother Martin as the quack mystic. 7-8/10 for The Drowning Pool.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17649 : March 01, 2018, 03:30:56 AM »

PHANTOM THREAD (2017) - 8-8.5/10, it could reach 9/10 with repeated viewings.

Copy paste from my the film's thread:

THAT WAS AWESOME!

A great and inspiring story about love and hard work. You're 100%: the real star here isn't DDL, it's Vicky Fucking Krieps (and actually most of the numerous women in the film). It features 2 kisses that are in my top 10 movie kisses of all time. I wasn't bored for a second except for the last half and hour, and just as I thought PTA had lost me he totally won me over.

I'm surprised RR says it feels like a fully scored silent movie as well as I'm surprised everybody talks about how the films looks: yes, it looks gorgeous, but that's a given now for post any There Will Be Blood PTA film. The real surprise is how terrific it sounds and the extent sound is used as the main storytelling tool here.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17650 : March 01, 2018, 05:16:55 AM »

I'd go up a couple of notches for each 6-7/10 for Harper, really like Strother Martin as the quack mystic. 7-8/10 for The Drowning Pool.
Interesting, though, that you agree The Drowning Pool is the better picture. Not everyone feels that way, apparently.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17651 : March 01, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »

Tom Jones (1963) – 7/10. Tony Richardson adapts Fielding, and it’s pretty funny. Criterion offers two cuts of the film, the theatrical release, and the director’s cut, which is 7 minutes shorter (Richardson trimmed scenes he felt went on too long). Neither version looks all that great, either due to production circumstances (it was a Woodfall film) or the lack of proper element preservation (it was a Woodfall film) or both.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17652 : March 01, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »

Interesting, though, that you agree The Drowning Pool is the better picture. Not everyone feels that way, apparently.

Yes, I prefer Harper.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17653 : March 01, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »

Tom Jones (1963) – 7/10. Tony Richardson adapts Fielding, and it’s pretty funny. Criterion offers two cuts of the film, the theatrical release, and the director’s cut, which is 7 minutes shorter (Richardson trimmed scenes he felt went on too long). Neither version looks all that great, either due to production circumstances (it was a Woodfall film) or the lack of proper element preservation (it was a Woodfall film) or both.

BFI in the UK is releasing an 8-film boxset of Woodfall films, incl Tom Jones. I assume it will use the same master/restoration that Criterion used, but who knows, it might look a bit better...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Woodfall-A-Revolution-in-British-Cinema-1959-1965-Blu-ray/198759/

« : March 01, 2018, 06:38:31 AM XhcnoirX »

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17654 : March 01, 2018, 06:42:29 AM »

Harper does feels like a TV flick, it's best sequence is the title sequence. Most of the other characters in Harper feel just plugged into the story for nostalgic purposes, the exception is Strother Martin against type.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1198  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines