Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2018, 12:05:32 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1206
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2372082 )
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17685 : March 15, 2018, 01:56:58 AM »

Radio Cab Murder (1954): Cabby & ex-con Jimmy Hanley gets asked by the police to go undercover to flush out a group of bankrobbers. As precaution the robbers give him the wrong location for the next job, so he's stuck with the robbers while the police are at a different spot. It's got some interesting bits but lacks tension and Hanley's boring. 6-/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17686 : March 15, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »

speaking of Japan, I just saw this story: the first ever sake brewery opened in New York!

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7ny.com/amp/food/new-yorks-first-sake-brewery-opens-in-brooklyn/3206214/

Just in time for your wedding!  :) :)
Thanks, that will come in real handy (if we decide to honeymoon in Brooklyn).  O0

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17687 : March 15, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »

Thanks, that will come in real handy (if we decide to honeymoon in Brooklyn).  O0

You said you wanted a church wedding - Brooklyn is known as the “Borough of Churches”!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17688 : March 17, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »

Slither (1973) 8/10. Not to be confused with a creature feature, this is the GBU remake that starred Jimmy Caan, Peter Boyle and Sally Kellerman (the Good, the Ugly, and the Batshit Insane, respectively). There were also two very creepy vans. Man, what good films they made in the 70s. Not like the crap they make now.
Watched this again. I can watch it a hundred times (and probably will). Kellerman is hilarious, man.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17689 : March 18, 2018, 05:40:41 AM »

Red Sparrow (2018): Spy thriller with Jennifer Lawrence as an ex-ballerina who gets recruited to be come a sparrow, essentially a whore-spy for the Russian government. Very twisty (altho most twists aren't necessarily surprising) and more story-driven than action-driven. If Hollywood ever wants to do a Putin-biopic, they should hire Matthias Schoenaerts, all he needs is a bit more fat in his face. 8/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #17690 : March 18, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »

"The Girl Who Had Everything"  1953, starring Elizabeth Taylor.  Rate 3, Mrs. Cusser wanted to watch on TCM.  Rich girl gets enamored with an older thug.  At least it was only 75 minutes long.  Lots of smoking in pretty much every scene, lots of drinking too.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17691 : March 18, 2018, 09:43:09 PM »

Casualties of War (1989) 7.5/10

Based on a true incident that occurred during the Vietnam War, as recounted first in this New Yorker article (and later in a book) https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1969/10/18/casualties-of-war

Yes, it all happened  :'(

Sean Penn's accent is laughable; and the last line of dialogue the Vietnamese girls has with Fox in the framing device is awful. Otherwise, a good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17692 : March 21, 2018, 05:41:05 AM »

Danger Signal (1945) - 5/10. Zachary Scott is a lothario who takes the money, perhaps even the lives, of the women he romances. You can tell just what kind of creep he is: he steals a service pin from a vet and then lies about having been wounded in the South Pacific. But the women can't get enough of him--all the real men, I guess, are in the South Pacific. It is fun to see just how low he'll go, and just what suckers women can be. Eventually, though, comeuppance arrives. Happily, none of the principals are implicated, because Scott, fleeing vengeance, trips over a root and falls off a cliff into the (not-so-South) Pacific. Ha!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17693 : March 22, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »

The Disaster Artist (2017) - 7/10. It gets a passing grade because the subject matter's just too strong...but it's too short and takes too long to get to the making of The Room - which the portion of the movie dedicated to the making of The Room is painfully short. The visuals weren't anything to write home about either.

Even though I haven't read the book, it's still safe to say that the adaptation left a lot of the meat on the bone. The crew should have been constantly turning over and there were complete fabrications: like the whole subplot about Greg's beard and the fight between Tommy and Greg when they're shooting in a SF park.

Franco and co. also didn't cover that Wiseau originally had two Mark characters: one Mark was shot in HD and the other in 35mm until the other Mark found out and quit. Oh, and the character was named Mark because Tommy Wiseau loved The Talented Mr. Ripley and thought the actor's name was Mark Damon.  Etc. etc. The real story didn't need any altering, and the Hollywoodizations (for a lack of a real word) of the adaptation strangely made the oddball world feel way more normal than it should. It also didn't need Rogen's character in general, and certainly didn't need Rogen constantly reacting like someone watching ciips of The Room on youtube.

Still, what we see is entertaining, and it works, it just should have been a lot more and Franco etc. should have made creative decisions that kept it from being Ed Wood Ultralite - which is not entirely a bad thing considering Ed Wood's a masterpiece in my opinion. But why watch this movie when you can see Ed Wood or go to a viewing of The Room? And maybe Tommy Wiseau and his 7 belts might make an appearance at the screening?

« : March 22, 2018, 08:17:52 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17694 : March 25, 2018, 05:25:10 AM »

Kill List (2011): Violent, unsettling and crazy movie about 2 hitmen, Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley, who get a new list of targets and set off doing their business. There is always something not quite right with the story/atmosphere, and the final third of the movie is mental in a similar fashion as a famous British pagan horror classic (won't mention its title, that alone should be enough). Really cool, and still not quite sure what the final minute is about (altho I do have ideas). Memorable movie, to say the least. 8/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17695 : March 25, 2018, 07:20:05 AM »

Kill List (2011): Violent, unsettling and crazy movie about 2 hitmen, Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley, who get a new list of targets and set off doing their business. There is always something not quite right with the story/atmosphere, and the final third of the movie is mental in a similar fashion as a famous British pagan horror classic (won't mention its title, that alone should be enough). Really cool, and still not quite sure what the final minute is about (altho I do have ideas). Memorable movie, to say the least. 8/10

I really, really like how this movie slowly goes from social film to thriller to horror.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17696 : March 25, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »

Yep, extraordinary film.

It starts like a Mike Leigh film and ends in Lynch-world

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17697 : March 26, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »

Thanks to a couple of long flights and the jet lag that goes with them:

The Square - 8/10
The film isn’t subtle, which is a big fault comsidering what it’s going after. Also, a couple of subplots could have stayed on the cutting room floor. But this is all outweighted by an attention to meaningful details, many brilliant scenes and a great cast. I was going for a 7, but the Square, as heavy handed as it is, ends up being more though provoking than I’d like to admit. Good job.

War of Planet of the Apes - 4/10
After the half turd the first opus of the trilogy was (I stopped trying to get their actual titles right: one is dawn, one is rise, one is war, who knows which is which, none of them are worth the trouble anyway) and the total turd the second opus ended up being, I didn’t want anything to do with these films anymore. The amazingly good reviews this one got made me watch it (in the plane). Quick review: the first shot is terrific, you can turn off your tv right after the first cut. Average, pointless stuff with great CGI monkeys.

Videodrome - 6.5/10
I has never seen this before, I will probably never watch it again, but that was as far from “average pointless stuff” as you can get. Old fashion cheesy auteur gore is great.

It (2017) - 3/10
Didn’t even finish it. Had they not fired Fukunaga before the shooting, they had a wannabe masterpiece on their hands. Instead, they went with your regular boring collection of averagely shot horror scenes that have nothing to do with what the book is about. I cannot believe anyone gave it more than 5/10.

Call me by your Name ?/10
I only got the first half of it, the plane landed afterward. While the premise of the story doesn’t interest me at all, some reviews got my attention. Turns out the film is technically brilliant. The pacing is fast and jazzy, and Guadagnino virtuously reconstitutes the atmosphere of the hot and lazy Mediterranean summers with an attention to detail that is almost unequaled nowadays without ever stealing the show. Top notch filmmaking.

Baisers Volés - 8/10
 :-*

Kingsman 2 : the Golden circle 5/10
Fun and a bit hit and miss like the first one, but the brilliance of the camerawork is now lost in an ocean of CGI.

« : March 30, 2018, 11:51:03 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17698 : March 27, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »

The Square - 8/10
The film isn’t subtle, which is a big fault comsidering what it’s going after.

That nails it. It tries way too hard to be this 'clever' satire about the modern art world and existence, but in the end I found it a boring, lifeless mess. It didn't work for me at all.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17699 : March 27, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »

I wouldn't say "lifeless". It's cold but it's supposed to be cold and distant.

www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1206  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines