Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 01:20:54 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1206
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2365724 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17955 : September 08, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »

The Tree of Life: Extended Cut (2011/2018) - 1000000/10
The Criterion shipped a few days early!

The Tree of Life has been one of my favorite films, an easy Top 10 movie, ever since it came out. If I had one criticism of it, it was that I wish it was a little warmer, a little more personal, and that just a bit too much time was spent on the more abstract things (universe creation, the ending, etc.) compared to the life of the O'Brien family.

I can safely say the extended cut completely changes this. The original film is left un-tampered, but the added sequences vastly improve it. We get a much deeper look into Jack's depression as both a kid and an adult. We get a better sense of Mr. O'Brien's frustrations with life, making it easier to empathize with him even during his darkest moments. We get a stronger look at Mrs. O'Brien's disappointment at how things were starting to turn out with her marriage and her children, making her a much more developed character than when she was previously a bit one-dimensional. The movie feels much, much more about Jack than ever before, and I think the balance of reality vs. abstract scenes is absolutely perfect. It feels slightly more linear and developed, but that's a compliment in every sense possible... it still puzzling, vague, mysterious. It just feels so much more full and complete.

I'm not too sure about these articles saying that Malick made a brand new movie. It really is an extension of the original, and in my opinion vastly superior. I'm in shock that Malick's preferred cut is the shorter one, because this one is leagues better - somehow - because ToL was already nearly perfect in my opinion (and not in the opinion of, well, anyone on SLWB - and to be honest I doubt the new cut would change much of your opinions). This is pretty close to the best movie I've ever seen. I'm sure just one viewing of OUATIA would change that, but this was one of the most amazing movies I've seen in years.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17956 : September 09, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »

Isle of Dogs (2018) - 4/10. The same damn film every time. I really, really wish Wes Anderson would just hang it up at this point. Yes, this one riffs on Japanese culture and produces a few gags I appreciated (the parody of a haiku was particularly inspired), but it's not enough. I'd rather just re-watch Rushmore rather than try to sit through anything "new" by this guy ever again.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17957 : September 10, 2018, 02:34:32 AM »

The Tree of Life: Extended Cut (2011/2018) - 1000000/10
The Criterion shipped a few days early!

The Tree of Life has been one of my favorite films, an easy Top 10 movie, ever since it came out. If I had one criticism of it, it was that I wish it was a little warmer, a little more personal, and that just a bit too much time was spent on the more abstract things (universe creation, the ending, etc.) compared to the life of the O'Brien family.

I can safely say the extended cut completely changes this. The original film is left un-tampered, but the added sequences vastly improve it. We get a much deeper look into Jack's depression as both a kid and an adult. We get a better sense of Mr. O'Brien's frustrations with life, making it easier to empathize with him even during his darkest moments. We get a stronger look at Mrs. O'Brien's disappointment at how things were starting to turn out with her marriage and her children, making her a much more developed character than when she was previously a bit one-dimensional. The movie feels much, much more about Jack than ever before, and I think the balance of reality vs. abstract scenes is absolutely perfect. It feels slightly more linear and developed, but that's a compliment in every sense possible... it still puzzling, vague, mysterious. It just feels so much more full and complete.

I'm not too sure about these articles saying that Malick made a brand new movie. It really is an extension of the original, and in my opinion vastly superior. I'm in shock that Malick's preferred cut is the shorter one, because this one is leagues better - somehow - because ToL was already nearly perfect in my opinion (and not in the opinion of, well, anyone on SLWB - and to be honest I doubt the new cut would change much of your opinions). This is pretty close to the best movie I've ever seen. I'm sure just one viewing of OUATIA would change that, but this was one of the most amazing movies I've seen in years.

Great news.
I love the theatrical cut, but it haven’t watched it in years (I think saw it twice in theater, once on home cinema when it was released and that’s about it). Cannot wait to see the new cut.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17958 : September 10, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »

Isle of Dogs (2018) - 4/10. The same damn film every time. I really, really wish Wes Anderson would just hang it up at this point. Yes, this one riffs on Japanese culture and produces a few gags I appreciated (the parody of a haiku was particularly inspired), but it's not enough. I'd rather just re-watch Rushmore rather than try to sit through anything "new" by this guy ever again.

I saw it and it got to be a bit tedious.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17959 : September 10, 2018, 04:33:20 AM »

I saw it and it got to be a bit tedious.
Yup.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17960 : September 10, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »

Isle of Dogs... I think that's about a 7 for me. I've more or less accepted that Wes won't ever fucking make a different movie. But I kinda like the 1 movie he has made. So, instead of rewatching any of them, seeing a new one is like rewatching an old one but slightly different. For this, I enjoyed the various Japanese art styles. For Grand Budapest, I enjoyed the colors and use of 4:3. For Moonrise, I liked that it was shot in my home of Rhode Island.

But - also - fuck you, Wes Anderson. And fuck your obnoxious fans!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17961 : September 10, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »

Isle of Dogs looks gorgeous. Way more gorgeous than anything Wes has ever done. With some top of the class mise en scene many more “usual” directors would envy. And the voice acting of the dogs is also above what he usually gets. Also, the film is weirdly way more dynamic than your typical Wes Anderson movie.
Apart from that (which is already pretty good), meh.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17962 : September 11, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »

King Of The Gypsies (1978) Director was Frank Pierson written by Frank Pierson based on the book by Peter Maas. Cinematography was by Sven Nykvist, and the music was by David Grisman. An entertaining look at the succession of of a Gypsy King. 

Starring Eric Roberts, Sterling Hayden, Judd Hirsch, Shelley Winters, Susan Sarandon, Brooke Shields, 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17963 : September 11, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »

I gave up after the movie set in India, it's all the same old same old. I like Bottle Rocket for what it is - the Take the Money and Run of the 90s. It's his most natural movie by far, but that's not saying anything.

Rushmore is good in spite of the cutesy "indie" nature of his style, and each movie after Tenenbaums is self-caricature.. and that movie is the start of when his style starts getting very grating.

I guess he should get credit for creating a style that's halfway original but it's something the world never needed.

« : September 11, 2018, 10:16:34 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17964 : September 14, 2018, 12:41:09 AM »

The Limping Man (1953): Lloyd Bridges flies to the UK to visit his love Moira Lister. As he exits the plane, a sniper shoots the person next to him. Scotland Yard think Bridges might be involved somehow but can't make anything stick, so they let him go, and Bridges starts to dig around himself. Decently done and enjoyable for the most part, it's got some odd pacing at times (a few nightclub scenes that are pure filler for what is already a short B-feature) and the final resolution feels like a cop-out. 6-/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17965 : September 19, 2018, 01:07:52 AM »

Brick (2005): Joseph Gordon-Levitt receives a curious message from his ex-gf who disappears soon after. He starts to investigate, leading him to local drugs pusher Lukas Haas and his sidekick Noah Fleiss as well as seductive dame Nora Zehetner. Great neo-noir that puts 40s Chandler-esque pulp/noir (incl old school dialogue & lines) inside a modern high school setting. At times director/writer Rian Johnson tries too hard to create quirky/'clever' juxtapositions between the noir & high school settings, but overall I loved this movie. 8/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17966 : September 19, 2018, 03:26:03 AM »

Brick (2005): Joseph Gordon-Levitt receives a curious message from his ex-gf who disappears soon after. He starts to investigate, leading him to local drugs pusher Lukas Haas and his sidekick Noah Fleiss as well as seductive dame Nora Zehetner. Great neo-noir that puts 40s Chandler-esque pulp/noir (incl old school dialogue & lines) inside a modern high school setting. At times director/writer Rian Johnson tries too hard to create quirky/'clever' juxtapositions between the noir & high school settings, but overall I loved this movie. 8/10

This one didn't click for me, it tried a bit tried too hard with the Chandler-esque pulp, wasn't very believable to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17967 : September 19, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »

This one didn't click for me, it tried a bit tried too hard with the Chandler-esque pulp, wasn't very believable to me.
Yeah, mixing Chandler with high school kids wasn't credible in the least. After viewing this once I never went back.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17968 : September 21, 2018, 02:50:56 AM »

The Sisters Brothers - 8/10 - Yay! The first good western movie I get to see first in theater. See the movie's own thread.
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 8.5/10 - Beautiful, haunting, unique. A couple of flaws stop it from being a classic.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17969 : September 21, 2018, 06:45:12 AM »

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 8.5/10 - Beautiful, haunting, unique. A couple of flaws stop it from being a classic.
Please elaborate.

: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1206  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines