Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 07:52:03 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1205
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2359861 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17970 : September 21, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »

Please elaborate.

What part? Have you seen it?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17971 : September 21, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »

Dude, I've had the Blu for years!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17972 : September 23, 2018, 04:19:43 AM »

The Long Riders (1980) One of the last of the "Golden Age" Westerns, when then still knew how to make them look, feel, and sound right, lol. Story about the James-Younger gang with the brothers played by real life brothers the Keach's, Quaid's and Carradines. Of course the story is truncated, features mostly the highlights, with some  as the French dub it "le ballets des morts" slomo homage to Sam Peckinpah. A re-watch 7-8/10. 

Decoy (1946) could very well be the first SiFi Noir. Jean Gillie, a gangsters moll, cooks up a plan to bring her gas chamber candidate boyfriend back from the dead with Methylene Blue so he can retrieve the stash of $400,000 in loot from a robbery. Gillie is a piece of work. A re-watch 7/10

« : September 23, 2018, 04:23:19 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17973 : September 25, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »

The Illustrated Man (1969) Rod Steiger, Claire Bloom, and Robert Drivas. Unimpressive. I don't think I've seen a great Ray Bradbury adaptation yet other than The Martian Chronicles on TV.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17974 : September 26, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

Future Pop [Perfume MV] (2018) - 10/10. As the standards continue to rise, noodles_leone falls further and further behind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlFxkWgI84

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17975 : September 26, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »

Future Pop [Perfume MV] (2018) - 10/10. As the standards continue to rise, noodles_leone falls further and further behind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlFxkWgI84
What's so amazing and depressing to me is to see the amount of work / money put into something like that for, what.... less than 500k YouTube views?

I've been doing a lot of movie-rewatching lately - The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver are 10's. Also went through all 3 Taxi Driver commentaries on the 40th anniversary release and they are all also 10's.

Though I will say Deer Hunter takes itself a bit too seriously for my current tastes to handle. I guess I was a much darker 14 year old.

some new first-time viewings would be:

Hereditary (2018) - 7/10
Pretty good to really good horror flick, deserving of it's recent praise, but likely won't be talked about beyond this year.

Chopper (2000) - 7/10
A great little low-budget crime flick. Unique style, and kept nice and short.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - 8/10
A fun, laid back Miyazaki movie. I'd like to see / rewatch more of his stuff.

Stalker (1979) - 7/10
I like Tarkovsky. This is probably my favorite so far. I just don't understand the love. I was the least bored by this and will likely watch again, and like it more.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8/10
Fun 80's horror movie. I prefer Halloween, but it's solid. Krueger is a better bad guy.

« : September 26, 2018, 12:02:02 PM PowerRR »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17976 : September 26, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »

Hereditary (2018) - 7/10
Pretty good to really good horror flick, deserving of it's recent praise, but likely won't be talked about beyond this year.

I'll talk about it for at least a few years (if I had to guess, I'd say a decade, if subsequent works by its (first time) director don't cast too much of a shadow).

Freaks (1932) - 7/10 - I want to see the 70min cut now :(
Le Monde est à toi (2018) - 7/10 - Tarantino à la Française by one of our top music video directors

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17977 : September 27, 2018, 04:33:47 AM »

Stalker (1979) - 7/10
I like Tarkovsky. This is probably my favorite so far. I just don't understand the love. I was the least bored by this and will likely watch again, and like it more.
I think boredom is the whole point of Tarkovsky. Real life is mostly boring, so why shouldn't cinema be? But hey, check out that beautiful photography! Now there's something you don't see every day.

I've made my peace with Mr. T. Stalker is my second fave--such images! My #1, though, continues to be Andrei Rublev, now given an immaculate transfer on the new Criterion blu. The b&w photography (by Yusov) is further enhanced by the episodic story structure. The boredom is still there but not allowed to last too long before we're off to the next bit of plodding. And there's actually a bit of drama in the last episode. Lots of horses too, for some reason.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17978 : September 27, 2018, 06:33:07 AM »

I think boredom is the whole point of Tarkovsky. Real life is mostly boring, so why shouldn't cinema be? But hey, check out that beautiful photography! Now there's something you don't see every day.

I've made my peace with Mr. T. Stalker is my second fave--such images! My #1, though, continues to be Andrei Rublev, now given an immaculate transfer on the new Criterion blu. The b&w photography (by Yusov) is further enhanced by the episodic story structure. The boredom is still there but not allowed to last too long before we're off to the next bit of plodding. And there's actually a bit of drama in the last episode. Lots of horses too, for some reason.
Rublev is the only “big” one I haven’t seen. As much as I’d love to check out the new criterion Blu I can’t justify a blind buy... I will watch this on FilmStruck

Tampopo (1986) - 6/10
I feel like I should have liked this movie a lot more given it’s Leone homages and fun tone, but I found the cutesyness and vignettes to be more distracting than charming ... though I was expecting a much different / more linear movie. Might call for a rewatch

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17979 : September 28, 2018, 12:32:57 AM »

Please elaborate.

So, I guess you wanted more details about the couple of flaws? The main thing is that the film achieves some incredible moments that feel true to life but fails to sustain such a terrific standard in the long run. Many scenes/characters feels caricatural. In the end it's probably due to small flaws/mistakes here and there that bring down the average quality of the film: the actress playing the mistress isn't able make me believe in her faith, Isaac de Bankolé is terrible in his first scene, the sequence where we see Amalric's former professional life (the first time we leave the POV) is way less good than it probably was on paper, every woman in the film becomes too attached to quick...

Apart from that, I loved it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17980 : September 28, 2018, 06:08:18 AM »

So, I guess you wanted more details about the couple of flaws? The main thing is that the film achieves some incredible moments that feel true to life but fails to sustain such a terrific standard in the long run. Many scenes/characters feels caricatural. In the end it's probably due to small flaws/mistakes here and there that bring down the average quality of the film: the actress playing the mistress isn't able make me believe in her faith, Isaac de Bankolé is terrible in his first scene, the sequence where we see Amalric's former professional life (the first time we leave the POV) is way less good than it probably was on paper, every woman in the film becomes too attached to quick...

Apart from that, I loved it.
Do you think that some or all of these problems could have been avoided with a French director at the helm?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17981 : September 28, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »

Do you think that some or all of these problems could have been avoided with a French director at the helm?

Apart from Audiard and Deplechin I don't see what French filmmaker would have been able to pull this off in 2007. But none of these two could have done what Schnabel did with the rest of the movie. He was the best pick.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #17982 : September 29, 2018, 05:10:57 AM »

Freaks (1932) - 7/10 - I want to see the 70min cut now :(

One of us !!  Gooble gobble !!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17983 : October 01, 2018, 03:54:01 AM »

lol

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17984 : October 01, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »

haha

www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1205  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM