Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2019, 10:16:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2410745 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18060 : November 20, 2018, 10:57:06 AM »

Lust For Life (1956) 1080p. Man, what beautiful images! Man, what a beautiful Blu-ray! Man, what a stooopid drama! Vincent Van Gogh, apparently, died for our sins. But not before doing more emoting than any three hambones put together. Who told Kirk Douglas he could act? He could, of course, but his directors should have kept the news from him ("Kirk, you're terrible, but if you just low-key everything we'll be okay.") OMG, and then Anthony Quinn shows up and it's Dueling Hambones: The Motion Picture. And then Miklós Rózsa's score never lets up--a great score, sure, but one that belongs in an epic, not a chamber piece. The film's saving grace: Van Gogh's paintings, and the places where he composed them. Vincente Minnelli's conceit (maybe it was Dore Schary's) was that we see just about every location Van Gogh painted in as well as the finished product. And in the mid-50s just about everything was still there (the famous yellow house that Van Gogh shared with Gaugin had to be reconstructed). So we get this one trick again and again: first the location, then the painting; sometimes the painting, then the location. It never gets old, because the colors are off-the-chart fabulous. Tremendous landscapes and paint-scapes (in 2.35:1). Too bad about the story (but we've always got Pialat's Van Gogh). Anyone who claims to revere cinema and/or painting and doesn't possess at this very momentthis Blu-ray is a liar, a black liar (looking at you, Drink). Image: 10/10. Drama: 2/10.

There is a new movie out on Van Gogh: “At Eternity’s Gate,” directed by Julian Schnabel, with Willem Dafoe playing Van Gogh. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6938828/

Here is Washington Post review

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/a-portrait-of-vincent-van-gogh-as-a-tormented-soul/2018/11/16/ea7f79e8-e770-11e8-b8dc-66cca409c180_story.html?utm_term=.ccf0969a7f50

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18061 : November 20, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »

Here is Washington Post review

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/a-portrait-of-vincent-van-gogh-as-a-tormented-soul/2018/11/16/ea7f79e8-e770-11e8-b8dc-66cca409c180_story.html?utm_term=.ccf0969a7f50
Throughout the film, the jumpy, roaming camera approximates what it might have felt like to see through van Gogh’s eyes. We feel him marveling at the yellow leaves filtering the sun, or blissed-out as he trudges through long grass. We see him out in a field in the gloaming, so ecstatic in the face of nature that he scoops up the plowed soil and pours it onto his face, as though yearning to be one with it. Somehow, it’s not cheesy.
Needless to say, I have my doubts.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18062 : November 24, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018) – 10/10. This is the best looking American film of recent years (thank you, Bruno Debonnel). It’s also incredibly well edited. The six stories in this omnibus are of varying tone and purpose (but not quality).  The film begins with two whimsical segments that send up the Western, before turning to stories that take the genre very seriously. It ends with an exercise in postmodernism. The Coen brothers are in command of their material at all times and thus have produced the greatest anthology film ever made.

More words that say the same thing here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=13423.msg196860#msg196860

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18063 : November 24, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

Pattes blanches / White Shanks (1949) - 5/10. A Parisian vamp (Suzy Delair) arrives in a small fishing village where she drives all the unattached men wild: in particular, the owner of the local inn, an aristocrat, the aristocrat's bastard half-brother. Dostoyevsky, call your office. Another Gremillon film that isn't all that. The Gaumont blu looks good, though.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18064 : December 03, 2018, 02:39:36 AM »

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018): Rami Malek is good as Freddie Mercury, but lacks charisma. Great soundtrack, but the movie moves at break-neck speed as it tries to cover everything from Queen's inception up to their Live Aid set, leaving no room for any real development/insights. 7-/10

High School Big Shot (1959): Down-on-his-luck nerd Tom Pittman devises a plan to rob $1M from his part time job, in part to impress his crush Virginia Aldrige. But she wants to double-cross him with her flame. Cheapo but entertaining 'high school noir' with an above-average performance from Pittman (who died in a car accident before the movie was even released) and a suitably bleak ending. 6+/10

Momentum (2015): Bond-girl Olga Kurylenko is wanted by James Purefoy after she pulls of a heist, stealing a bag of diamonds which also contains a mysterious USB stick. Even for a popcorn 'conspiracy' action-thriller this was below average. 5/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18065 : December 03, 2018, 04:20:00 AM »

Deer Hunter 9/10
Just like two other famous Vietnam War films, this one could have been hurt by the incredible quality of the first hour, that the movie never quite gets close to afterwards. The emotional intensity of every other scene in the final hour saves it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

« #18066 : December 07, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »

Dec 4 : Where Eagles Dare 50
Dec 8 : Deer Hunter 40
Dec 10 : Superman 40

Saw GBU , Planes trains automobiles, Home Alone 1 & 2 and Superman '78 in cinema recently , all classics (HA was outdoor , a chilly experience.......hadnt seen #2 in cinema since '92)

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18067 : December 07, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »

Suspiria (2018): Dakota Johnson joins a female-only dance company in 70s Berlin, while an aging psychotherapist tries to find one of the troupe's girls, who was delusional and then disappeared. It has its moments (altho few and far between), and Tilda Swinton excels as the troupe's choreographer (as well as playing the (male!) psychotherapist, and another smaller part), but it really didn't need to be 2.30h long. Still need to see the original, shame on me. 6/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18068 : December 08, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »

Collateral (2004): Cabbie Jamie Foxx and contract killer Tom cruise around LA at night going over a list of targets. Decent-to-good thriller and some nice shots of LA by night by director Michael Mann... But too straight-forward and predictable, and lacking grittiness and 'noir-ness'. 7/10

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18069 : December 08, 2018, 06:46:37 AM »

"Draw !" very routine and predictable, Kirk Douglas and James Coburn.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18070 : December 08, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »

Collateral (2004): Cabbie Jamie Foxx and contract killer Tom cruise around LA at night going over a list of targets. Decent-to-good thriller and some nice shots of LA by night by director Michael Mann... But too straight-forward and predictable, and lacking grittiness and 'noir-ness'. 7/10

Remove the final 30min and the film is suddenly much better.

www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18071 : December 09, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

Remove the final 30min and the film is suddenly much better.
Completely agree.

If things wrapped up better/quicker and was shot on film this is a masterpiece. I still love the movie though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18072 : December 10, 2018, 02:35:26 AM »

Completely agree.

If things wrapped up better/quicker and was shot on film this is a masterpiece. I still love the movie though.

Yeah, I like it a lot, but the way they tie up everything to the opening chick (and let it drag for too long) makes the film feel way more average Hollywood than it actually is.

White Fang (1991) 7/10
This was the first live action film I saw in theater. Pretty sure I've always wanted a dog because of that film. I hadn't seen it in decades though, and I have to say the first hour or so is quite amazing. The animals scenes are impressive, and the human ones come with a genuine adventure feel that I have extremely rarely witnessed on screen. The attention to detail in sets and costumes is breathtaking. Some images stayed with me since my first viewing (the golden staircase, the lake and coffin scene...). It's a shame the 3 bad guys are so cartoonish and the final shootout is not as well handled at all as other action sequences.

www.ThibautOskian.com
moorman
Gunslinger

« #18073 : December 11, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »

Makala (2018)  This film won the Critics Award at last year's Cannes Festival.  Its a French film by Emmanuel Gras and starring nonprofessional actors Kabwita Kasongo and Lydie Kasongo. Its a semi documentary based on the real life of the Congolese people.  The plot is simple.  Kabwita wants to build a better house for his family.  To acquire funds to do so he travels out into the forest and chops down a HUGE tree.  He then proceeds to turn the tree into charcoal in which he intends to sell 30 miles away at the nearest market.  Thats it. The film chronicles this process.

The dialogue of the film is in Swahili and I couldn't find any subtitles for the film even though its stated that its available in English.  Didn't matter.  The plot is soo simple and the story soo simple and compelling that I was able to view the film without knowing what was being said.  The cinematography is also gorgeous in this film.   I rank it a solid 8.5 out of 10....

« : December 11, 2018, 02:57:31 PM moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18074 : December 11, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »

Makala (2018)  This film won the Critics Award at last year's Cannes Festival.  Its a French film by Emmanuel Gras and starring nonprofessional actors Kabwita Kasongo and Lydie Kasongo. Its a semi documentary based on the real life of the Congolese people.  The plot is simple.  Kabwita wants to build a better house for his family.  To acquire funds to do so he travels out into the forest and chops down a HUGE tree.  He then proceeds to turn the tree into charcoal in which he intends to sell 30 miles away at the nearest market.  Thats it. The film chronicles this process.

The dialogue of the film is in Swahili and I couldn't find any subtitles for the film even though its stated that its available in English.  Didn't matter.  The plot is soo simple and the story soo simple and compelling that I was able to view the film without knowing what was being said.  The cinematography is also gorgeous in this film.   I rank it a solid 8.5 out of 10....

Thanks for the heads up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines