Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2019, 05:44:05 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 1220
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2533403 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18240 : March 21, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »

"Andy Hardy Comes Home", 1958, last of the 16 Andy Hardy films.   Rate 3.5/10 but I've seen a bunch of the other films, this one shows Andy as a grown up (well, for him) with a family, and made over a dozen years after previous Hardy film.  So watched out of curiosity.

Whether we like the Hardy films, these helped make Mickey Rooney a real star, but his son playing Andy Rooney Jr. as a kid had zero talent.  Interesting is how all still wore ties and jackets to dinner, so interesting snapshots of fictional American life in late 1930s-early 1940s.  I'm not sure if any Hardy films ever mentioned WW2.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18241 : March 22, 2019, 05:07:25 AM »

Cleo de 5 à 7 (1962, Agnès Varda) - 8/10

A beautiful woman, a singer, becomes obsessed by the idea of death while waiting for the results of a medical analysis. From 5pm to 7pm. It’s almost in real time (the movie lasts for 90min).

I’m very surprised by how good it was. I have no idea why I never expected to like anything by Agnès Varda.... yet I had seen absolutely none of her work. It’s charming like an early Truffaut, but with a much more impressive ability to craft evocative visuals.

It’s so cool to see 1962 Paris, especially since a good chunk of it is probably shot without any kind of authorization. So you see the real inhabitants at the time. They tend to look like hobbits.
Seeing a story about an utterly feminine woman told by a woman is also pretty interesting.
This is an interesting take. I liked the film a lot the first time I saw it, but it enjoy it less now. The whole waiting-for-the-medical report annoys me, but the rest is good. The Michel Legrand songs (and cameo) are fun.

It's interesting that you mention Truffaut, because in her subsequent film (Happiness) Varda out-Godarded Godard. The film of hers I like best, though, is the one with Sandrine Bonnaire from 1987.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18242 : March 22, 2019, 05:50:26 AM »

This is an interesting take. I liked the film a lot the first time I saw it, but it enjoy it less now. The whole waiting-for-the-medical report annoys me, but the rest is good. The Michel Legrand songs (and cameo) are fun.

It's interesting that you mention Truffaut, because in her subsequent film (Happiness) Varda out-Godarded Godard. The film of hers I like best, though, is the one with Sandrine Bonnaire from 1987.

Sans Toit ni Loi. It's available on replay right now (franco-german tv channel Arte is doing a full Varda cycle). I'll watch it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18243 : March 23, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »

Anthropoid (2016) 7/10

Story of the assassination of top Nazi Reinhard Heydrich by Czech resistance fighters, and the Nazis' devastating reprisals.

According to wikipedia, the film took great pains to make key scenes very historically accurate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropoid_(film)#Production

The film was shot entirely in Prague during the summer of 2015, and where possible, at the actual locations of the events they depict. Director Sean Ellis stated in interview that scenes in the Orthodox Cathedral of Saints Cyril and Methodius were filmed on an exact replica of the church on a studio backlot, so as to make the location recognisable to Czech viewers. Gestapo and Czech contemporary reports allowed Ellis to recreate the film's final act (the assassination and church siege) with extreme accuracy, and intense planning was necessary to allow for the assassination itself to play in real time, with each resistance member's movements researched, planned and tracked in order to reflect actual events.

The principal photography for Anthropoid includes backdrops such as Prague Castle and the Charles Bridge in Prague, the locations where Operation Anthropoid took place. At the premiere screening and later advance screenings, audience members noted that the authentic street scenes were featured in the film.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18244 : March 24, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »

The film of hers I like best, though, is the one with Sandrine Bonnaire from 1987.

So if you were talking about Sans Toit Ni Loi (1985, actually), I just saw it. I was initally worried because of the weird/lame acting by some people in there but you get used to it. Quite fascinating stuff.
I've now seen what most people consider being her 2 best fiction films. I'll try a couple of docs now.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18245 : March 25, 2019, 04:17:04 AM »

So if you were talking about Sans Toit Ni Loi (1985, actually), I just saw it. I was initally worried because of the weird/lame acting by some people in there but you get used to it. Quite fascinating stuff.
Yes, that's the one I meant. I can't tell about the acting, but one of the techniques in the film is direct address to the audience, as if the characters are being interviewed after the fact. If you're referring to that then maybe that's the reason for the weird acting.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18246 : March 25, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »

Yes, that's the one I meant. I can't tell about the acting, but one of the techniques in the film is direct address to the audience, as if the characters are being interviewed after the fact. If you're referring to that then maybe that's the reason for the weird acting.

The use of direct address to the audience is great, here. No I was more criticizing the fact that many people in there don't seem to be actors at all. But once you get passed it, it succeeds in adding a cinema verité value to the whole thing.
Thanks for pointing this one out to me.

www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18247 : March 26, 2019, 02:27:09 AM »

Strange Days (1995): Neonoir sci-fi thriller with Ralph Fiennes as a black market VR dealer who gets himself trapped in a murder investigation. Good shit, altho it took a bit to get started. Saw this in a small theater with a beat up print, adding to the grittiness of the movie. The old lady sitting next to me slept through most of the movie. Thankfully she didn't snore ;D 8/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18248 : March 26, 2019, 02:39:02 AM »

Strange Days (1995): Neonoir sci-fi thriller with Ralph Fiennes as a black market VR dealer who gets himself trapped in a murder investigation. Good shit, altho it took a bit to get started. Saw this in a small theater with a beat up print, adding to the grittiness of the movie. The old lady sitting next to me slept through most of the movie. Thankfully she didn't snore ;D 8/10

thanks i'll check it out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18249 : March 27, 2019, 05:07:41 AM »

Sad Hill Unearthed (2018) - 8/10. Cultists for a weird movie-religion prepare a sacred site for an arcane ritual while talking heads comment. Not sure why the Metallica guy gets so much screen time, but maybe it's because he gave the filmmakers free use of one of his songs for the end titles. The film is nicely photographed, but there are maybe a few too many moving camera shots--you really notice them, too, when they jump from a static-shot interview clip to one where someone is digging up the ground while the camera operator decides to take a stroll. I was glad to see Leone-related personalities weighing in; I had never seen or heard Peter Hanley before, and it was interesting to see what he's like. My favorite moment, though, was the archival clip of Leone explaining the plot of GBU while devouring a bowl of pasta. That's entertainment!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18250 : March 27, 2019, 10:45:25 AM »

thanks i'll check it out.

The screenplay was written or co-written by James Cameron, it's definitely worth checking out - just don't expect anything as strikingly sci-fi neo-noir like Dark City (1998).

It's a little dated in that it's very 1995 where Bigelow's best movies like Point Break and (especially) Near Dark have more of a style of their own unique to the time period. It's still a very solid movie, but maybe more interesting than downright good.

If you haven't seen Bigelow's Near Dark (1987), you should definitely check that out even if you may not be a horror fan.

I don't even have the slightest idea how to post a pic on this board anymore, otherwise I would have posted a still from the movie, it's probably my pick for the best neo-noir horror movie ever - and it has a (night) western feel as well.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18251 : March 27, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »

I think you have to upload to an image hosting site and then get that url and put it in between the [] with img in the [] and the [] with /img in the []

when you hit the image icon on the Post Reply site

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18252 : March 27, 2019, 11:26:59 PM »

Citizen Kane
Turns out it's more entertaining than I remembered.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18253 : March 28, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »

Citizen Kane

Then it is ... art!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18254 : March 28, 2019, 03:06:53 AM »

Citizen Kane

A thought crossed my mind during all this discussions about Citizen Kane. Is it just me but it always seemed to me that Susan Alexander Kane operatic singing was just awful, and it's repeatedly awful over and over.

I thinking now that she was awful like Marguerite the French Film and the more recent Streep film about Florence Foster Jenkins, a New York heiress who dreamed of becoming an opera singer, despite having a terrible singing voice. It was Kane's newspapers and promotion and money that created a false fame.

: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 1220  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines