Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2019, 01:33:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 1226
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2614385 )
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18330 : May 20, 2019, 02:08:53 AM »

Never Take Sweets From A Stranger (1960): A small town tries to bury a case of pedophilia when it involves a member of a powerful family. In essence it's a good movie with a powerful message, but I found it very slow and dull at times. 6+/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18331 : May 20, 2019, 03:52:04 AM »

The Greenwich Village Story (1963) Surprisingly well made independent feature that explores the "Beat" culture just before the "Age of Aquarius" hippy era, bookended by more modern footage. An interesting time capsule and even relevant concerning politics today. 6-7/10

Catch it fast currently on Youtube.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18332 : May 21, 2019, 04:24:49 AM »

The Greenwich Village Story (1963) Surprisingly well made independent feature that explores the "Beat" culture just before the "Age of Aquarius" hippy era, bookended by more modern footage. An interesting time capsule and even relevant concerning politics today. 6-7/10

Catch it fast currently on Youtube.
Thanks, I watched the first half on your tip.  Obviously the Coens had this in mind when they were making their own Greenwich Village story. One thing, though, I have to wonder about ILD now: where are the cops? Clearly, they were a very noticeable presence in the Village at that time. The Coens are guilty of giving us a very sanitized version of the times.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18333 : May 21, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »

Thanks, I watched the first half on your tip.  Obviously the Coens had this in mind when they were making their own Greenwich Village story. One thing, though, I have to wonder about ILD now: where are the cops? Clearly, they were a very noticeable presence in the Village at that time. The Coens are guilty of giving us a very sanitized version of the times.

I noticed Mel Stewart from Odds Against Tomorrow and Trick Baby was part of the cast. Also Tani Guthrie one of the Bellamy Sisters from I, the Jury (1953).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18334 : May 22, 2019, 03:38:52 AM »

Cat People (1942) 6.5/10
Nice one. Some of the "horror" scenes still hold on today. Especially the swimming pool one (although the scene where she's walking in the street at night is more often quoted/referenced/discussed).
I like how they didn't know what shrinks were at the time. The one in this film is even more ridiculous than a Hitchcock shrink: he looks and act way more like a magician than like an actual analyst. He even carries around a sword stick. Also, it seems like he doesn't know shit about psychology... yet again, he has a sword stick so that's cool.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18335 : May 22, 2019, 04:23:14 AM »

Also Tani Guthrie one of the Bellamy Sisters from I, the Jury (1953).
Thanks! I knew I'd seen her somewhere before.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18336 : May 22, 2019, 04:35:02 AM »

Doubles vies (Double Lives)/Non-fiction (2018) - 9/10. I liked this a lot. Unhappily, the wife, whom I'd dragged along to the showing, was less pleased. "It's just about food, endless chatter, and fucking," she said. "And your point is . . . ?" "Where's the human warmth?" "Human warmth? Honey, the French aren't human--more like very advanced insects." "We could have gone for a second viewing of John Wick 3!" Well, she had me there. Now she'll probably want to pick the next film we see, and I'll end up having to watch that crappy Rudolf Nureyev film. Damn you, Olivier Assayas!

P.S. What's with the use of Super 16 in this? Assayas wants the colors to look washed out?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18337 : May 22, 2019, 05:57:10 AM »

Doubles vies (Double Lives)/Non-fiction (2018) - 9/10. I liked this a lot. Unhappily, the wife, whom I'd dragged along to the showing, was less pleased. "It's just about food, endless chatter, and fucking," she said. "And your point is . . . ?" "Where's the human warmth?" "Human warmth? Honey, the French aren't human--more like very advanced insects." "We could have gone for a second viewing of John Wick 3!" Well, she had me there. Now she'll probably want to pick the next film we see, and I'll end up having to watch that crappy Rudolf Nureyev film. Damn you, Olivier Assayas!

P.S. What's with the use of Super 16 in this? Assayas wants the colors to look washed out?

There was human warmth in it! She has to understand that for us it's part of the concept of "food" and doesn't exist outside of it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18338 : May 24, 2019, 04:42:46 AM »

Shin Gojira/Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7/10. This is a Toho reboot, premised on the idea that Godzilla has never been seen before AND has never even appeared anywhere previously in popular culture (the bit where they come up with a name for the creature is fun). Further, it becomes clear that this is basically the Fukushima crisis of 2011 replayed as a monster movie. Well, why not? Godzilla is, after all, a walking nuclear reactor. Anticlimactically, though, the solution to the problem is exactly what was done at Fukushima--pour in the coolant. At the end there's a notion that Godzilla is a sleeping threat requiring eternal vigilance, and everybody--the international community included--will have to live with it (crazy metaphor, what?). The first part of the film is the best, with the Japanese bureaucracy ineffectively trying to make sense and then deal with an unprecedented crisis. With the world going to hell, the inter-departmental squabbling is pretty funny. And, of course, there is plenty of fun to be had watching your favorite landmarks in Tokyo getting smashed or flamed (poor Tokyo station!).

« : May 24, 2019, 04:44:47 AM dave jenkins »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18339 : May 24, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »

Personal Shopper 6/10
Heavily flawed but I enjoyed the ride. Assayas and K.Stewart work well together. A couple of scenes stand out and the film is pretty smart.
DJ, have you seen it? The search engine doesn't find anything about the film on this board.

« : May 24, 2019, 09:23:35 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18340 : May 24, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »

Personal Shopper 6/10
Heavily flawed but I enjoyed the ride. Assayas and K.Stewart work well together. A couple of scenes stand out and the film is pretty smart.
DJ, have you seen it? The search engine doesn't find anything about the film on this board.
Haven't seen it, but if you recommend it I'll give it a shot.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18341 : May 26, 2019, 05:01:39 AM »

Haven't seen it, but if you recommend it I'll give it a shot.

Your wife may like this one. It's more clearly a genre film (although in a subverted way).

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18342 : May 26, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »

Three Identical Strangers.  Documentary of identical triplets separated at birth.  At first upbeat, then dark side.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18343 : May 27, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »

The Life of Oharu (1952) 10/10. Criterion Blu-ray, transferred from a new digital restoration. Don't let anyone tell you that Ugetsu monogatari is Mizoguchi's best film. There are at least 10 others that are its superior; this is one of those.
Mrs. Jenkins, being Japanese, hates Japanese films, but occasionally I can prevail upon her to watch one with me. She watched this and loved it. Actually, she was familiar with the novel, and pulled it off the shelf and started going through it again. One of the things she pointed out was that the source material was written to entertain and is largely amusing; the reminiscences are also inconsistent with one another (the Oharu character, who goes unnamed in the novel, recounts in old age the episodes of her life), and raise the suspicion of an unreliable narrator. Mizoguchi's film, by contrast, is told objectively and drips with pathos. This suddenly struck me: the same kind of transition occurred when Kubrick took Thackeray's original and transformed it into the film Barry Lyndon.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18344 : May 28, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »

Lolita (1962) - 7.5/10
I've always been a fan of the opening sequence but I hadn't watched the whole movie in a loooong time. It was both better and much lighter hearted than I remembered. Also, now that I think of it, Sue Lyon and James Mason probably deliver the very best not over the top performances in a Kubrick film.

www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 1226  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines