Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 11:08:42 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1247
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2835210 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18465 : August 05, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »

the mediocrity of the characterization

That's your subjective opinion and you are entitled to it.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood earned another $20 million in its second weekend, taking a better-than-hoped 51% drop from its $41 million debut. That’s a terrific 3.5x weekend multiplier from its $5.66 million Friday and gives Sony’s $90 million Quentin Tarantino film a $78.8 million ten-day total. That's still pacing 7% above Inglorious Basterds after ten days, and that 2009 World War II thriller dropped just 49% in weekend two ten years ago in a far more favorable theatrical environment.

« : August 05, 2019, 07:55:54 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18466 : August 05, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood earned another $20 million in its second weekend, taking a better-than-hoped 51% drop from its $41 million debut. That’s a terrific 3.5x weekend multiplier from its $5.66 million Friday and gives Sony’s $90 million Quentin Tarantino film a $78.8 million ten-day total. That's still pacing 7% above Inglorious Basterds after ten days, and that 2009 World War II thriller dropped just 49% in weekend two ten years ago in a far more favorable theatrical environment.

Nice.

I really hope it will make money (it seems like it will, but it has to be QT's biggest box office success in order to do so). We need studios to be rewarded for financing these unique films if we don't want to live in a world of franchises.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18467 : August 05, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »

Nice.

I really hope it will make money (it seems like it will, but it has to be QT's biggest box office success in order to do so). We need studios to be rewarded for financing these unique films if we don't want to live in a world of franchises.

Agree.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18468 : August 05, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »

I have been watching recent QT interviews though, and I’ve noticed a big difference with older interviews: he seems much more relaxed and sincere than he was. Which is a good thing for him as a human being because I guess he’s much happier and at peace with himself now that’s he’s not lying on every possible topic just to prove to us (and thus to himself) that he’s cool as hell, but i’m Not sure it’s a good thing for his work.
It's early married-life syndrome! Ever since conning that Israeli singer to be his wife QT has been living a dream. When life is better than any fiction you can imagine, the fiction is gonna suffer.  O0

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18469 : August 06, 2019, 05:49:07 AM »

It's early married-life syndrome! Ever since conning that Israeli singer to be his wife QT has been living a dream. When life is better than any fiction you can imagine, the fiction is gonna suffer.  O0

Exactly. It's because of the jews, all over again.

Drink, do something.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18470 : August 06, 2019, 06:40:33 AM »

Exactly. It's because of the jews, all over again.

Drink, do something.

drink's been missing in action the last week

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18471 : August 06, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »

drink's been missing in action the last week

Busy with work ... Too busy to post, but I’ve been reading  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18472 : August 06, 2019, 09:19:20 AM »

Titoli, what the fuck are you like in person? Relax.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18473 : August 07, 2019, 02:35:17 AM »

He's the kind of guy who feels ripped off when he steals something he doesn't like. Even when he knew beforehand he wouldn't like it. That kind of guy never feels relaxed.

Which is a good thing. I like my Titoli angry and hateful. I usually don't feed him for a couple weeks before letting him watch a movie.

« : August 07, 2019, 02:36:49 AM noodles_leone »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18474 : August 07, 2019, 05:06:05 AM »

The Panic in Needle Park 7.5/10
Gorgeous to look at, great performances all over the place, terrific atmosphere... and a documentary approach that is both one of the greatest strength of the movie but also shows its limitations. The deep humanity that often transpires from the two main characters was enough to make me forget their huge stupidity from time to time.
Movies like The Wrestler have a couple of stuff to learn from this one.

« : August 07, 2019, 05:07:20 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18475 : August 07, 2019, 07:20:58 AM »

The Panic in Needle Park 7.5/10
Gorgeous to look at, great performances all over the place, terrific atmosphere... and a documentary approach that is both one of the greatest strength of the movie but also shows its limitations. The deep humanity that often transpires from the two main characters was enough to make me forget their huge stupidity from time to time.
Movies like The Wrestler have a couple of stuff to learn from this one.
How would you say it compares with Puzzle of a Downfall Child or Scarecrow? Schatzberg is one of the great 70s directors that people (especially the idiots on this board) never talk about.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18476 : August 07, 2019, 07:53:31 AM »

How would you say it compares with Puzzle of a Downfall Child or Scarecrow? Schatzberg is one of the great 70s directors that people (especially the idiots on this board) never talk about.

You know I'm one of the idiots on this board so I've never seen any other Schatzberg film. I've been wanting to watch this one for a long time because of the screenshots (including the poster) that keep popping up on visual social media (mainly Pinterest but also Instagram from time to time). I do own a copy of Scarecrow though, which I'll try to see before the end of the month.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18477 : August 07, 2019, 08:20:52 AM »

He's the kind of guy who feels ripped off when he steals something he doesn't like. Even when he knew beforehand he wouldn't like it. That kind of guy never feels relaxed.

Which is a good thing. I like my Titoli angry and hateful. I usually don't feed him for a couple weeks before letting him watch a movie.
Haha. I like this description.

Street Scenes 1970 - 7.5/10
The early Scorsese documentary I've been trying to find for 10+ years, to the point of e-mailing the students who worked on it, NYU archivists, and professors, who also have no idea where it is. Finally, I found a VHS rip online (mediocre video, good sound) through a sketchy movie site, which I located by misspelling the name of a different sketchy movie site. It was uploaded last month and seemingly unavailable anywhere else on the internet.

It's in the vein of his other two early docs, Italianamerican and American Boy, though not quite as good. It's a free-flowing time capsule of New York and Washington DC in the summer of 1970, as Scorsese and his hippie student crew take to the streets of protests and riots regarding Vietnam, capturing often amusing arguments between both sides. As a documentary film, it's solid and fairly Wiseman-esque but with a bit more bias toward one side. As a historical piece, I really hope that the original prints are being preserved at least by Scorsese, because it's a really raw portrait of a specific time in American history.

The ending features Scorsese, Harvey Keitel and some other hippies debating the state of America. 1 hour 15 minutes, 80% B+W, 20% color (though very faded Super 8mm film).

There's no credited director, though Scorsese is credited as Production Supervisor / Post-Production Director. I think he left a lot of creative reign to his students, but it still feels like a Scorsese doc. Especially the use of pop/rock music and jarring editing following long takes. Blind Faith's "Had to Cry Today" is played about four times, and I doubt he had the rights to it.

If anyone here is interested, I'll e-mail it to you.

« : August 07, 2019, 09:20:14 AM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18478 : August 07, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »

I do own a copy of Scarecrow though, which I'll try to see before the end of the month.
Yeah, that's an idea. You could actually watch more than one movie this month. I think you're on to something.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18479 : August 07, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »

Yeah, that's an idea. You could actually watch more than one movie this month. I think you're on to something.

You mean you can watch more than a movie a month? Why haven't you told me that years ago? :o

I've a big list ahead of me and I'm trying to focus on films that will help me with my upcoming short (that I'll be filming on the first week of september). The films of Nicolas Roeg seem to be closer from what I'm working on so they're occupying the first ranks. If you have any suggestion of films about grief or with an editing style close to Don't Look Now, I'll take it.

: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1247  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines