Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 03:29:00 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 1247
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2844103 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18555 : October 04, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »

Apocalypse Now: the Final Cut 453/10

However unnecessary was yet another director’s cut of that movie, it’s hard to deny the final cut the best cut (to date). It could still be perfected (the French scenes are overlong and need a much better music) but all the highly visible choices (they kept most if not all the small comedy scenes added in the redux, kept the French plantation, removed the sex with the playmates as well as THE DAYLIGHT SCENE with Brando, which is the most significant change) were right. All in all it doesn’t change the movie that much, it’s still one of the 3 best and most influential movies ever that is still way ahead of our time and better than 99.999999% of filmmakers can dream of (let alone make), and the ending still kind of suck but it’s still ok.

Anyway, I wasn’t there for the edit, the main point was to watch the restored version on a huge screen with a great sound installation, and boy this was a glorious experience that will stay with me forever.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18556 : October 04, 2019, 05:13:00 AM »

Apocalypse Now: the Final Cut 453/10
(the French scenes are overlong and need a much better music)
The big problem is there's no voice over. Coppola needs to hire a voice actor who can do late-70s Martin Sheen and then write some material for him. I love the French plantation scene, but as it stands now it seems like it was shoe-horned in from some other film.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18557 : October 04, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »

The big problem is there's no voice over. Coppola needs to hire a voice actor who can do late-70s Martin Sheen and then write some material for him. I love the French plantation scene, but as it stands now it seems like it was shoe-horned in from some other film.

Good point. It wouldn't fix everything but it would help a lot.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18558 : October 04, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »

The big problem is there's no voice over.

Why should there be a voice over?
The scene works as it is, and I think it works better in the shorter FC version.

Actually the FC is (so far) the best version. Only the sufboard scene still sucks, but after rewatching the 2nd playmate scene, I think now FFC was right to cut it out, so it seems this is the nearly perfect version ...

... well, let's wait for Coppola's Ultimate Cut.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18559 : October 04, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »

Why should there be a voice over?
The scene works as it is, and I think it works better in the shorter FC version.

For a French it seriously doesn't (the whole theater was laughing in an embarrassed way).

Actually the FC is (so far) the best version.

It is.

Only the sufboard scene still sucks, but after rewatching the 2nd playmate scene, I think now FFC was right to cut it out, so it seems this is the nearly perfect version ...
I now like the surfboard scenes. It took a while to get used to them but I think the film works better with them. And they show some acting range from Martin Sheen, or another side of his character, that make everything else work better.
I've always liked the 2nd playmate scene but I have to say it just slows redux down at a moment when it doesn't need to be slowed down. Also, it will always be a cross of iron rip off for me, and good old Sam went further and did it better so let's cut it out.

For the 50th anniversary!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18560 : October 04, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »

No stanton cut?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18561 : October 04, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »

Those are great filmmakers but their films to me feel a bit cold - specifically Fuller and Peckinpah. I'm not saying that's a bad thing - Shock Corridor for example is one of my favorite movies.

And I don't now, man. I've watched a lot of film school garbage and none of it reminds me of Malick. All of the guy's movies are pretty damn effective for me. I mostly don't find his movies or the narration pretentious - aside from quite a bit of the narration in To the Wonder and Voyage of Time. I think he's simplifying movies more than anything - stripping away the exposition, plot and dialogue and diving straight into the emotional reactions. For me, it works.

He's testing a new way to build narrative, instead of with plot, with a stream-of-conscious montage of emotions. I can see why it alienates most people but to me it's a totally interesting and effective way to push cinema to different levels. Imagine you've never seen a movie when watching one of the newer Malick films - they're a new take on how movies can be experienced. In that sense, I don't find his work pretentious at all - especially because by all accounts, anyone who has worked with him paints him as a very non-pretentious person. He's just doing things differently than the fairly linear way narratives have been built in the past 100 years.

I'll just say - if there is anyone here who doesn't hate Malick with a fiery passion - then try A Hidden Life when it comes out wide release. It's much more accessible, and better, than most of his work.
I don't hate Malick, I just find his movies of the last couple decades to be sort of silly, amateurish exercises in eastern philosophy. I'd argue that Kubrick accomplished (something close enough to) the bolded with 2001 50 years ago, and while I don't care for Tarkovsky, stuff like The Mirror is much better than Malick's current work.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18562 : October 05, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »

I now like the surfboard scenes. It took a while to get used to them but I think the film works better with them. And they show some acting range from Martin Sheen, or another side of his character,

That's why the scene is so totally wrong ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18563 : October 05, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »

That's why the scene is so totally wrong ...

Turns out that it actually makes the movie better and you're so totally wrong.

At least it did it for me this time: it made the film denser, deeper and richer. It also makes Sheen's body language and actions at the french plantation work so much better, and the scene where he kills the Vietnamese girl much more powerful. Probably because for once I was more invested in the character's (internal) journey than I ever was watching the film. I could have a different opinion next time, but it still does a hell of a lot for the film. So you are very wrong to dismiss them so easily.

« : October 05, 2019, 08:41:03 AM noodles_leone »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18564 : October 05, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »

Another point is that it destroys the fragile balance of the Kilgore character between seriousness and caricature, and turns him into a clown. Apo Now does not need a comedy interlude.

And there is a perfect cut in the theatrical version shortly after the "Napalm Smell" dialogue.

No stanton cut?

Of course, there should be one and there is one, and the new Ultimate Stanton Cut is ... tataaa ... (surprise, surprise): the Final Cut without the surfboard scene. It can't get better ...

« : October 05, 2019, 12:49:33 PM stanton »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18565 : October 06, 2019, 04:32:52 AM »

Trapped (1949), WOW what a pristine restoration on Noir Alley! I'll be buying this one if it comes available. Upping my 7/10 to 8/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18566 : October 06, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »

I don't hate Malick, I just find his movies of the last couple decades to be sort of silly, amateurish exercises in eastern philosophy. I'd argue that Kubrick accomplished (something close enough to) the bolded with 2001 50 years ago, and while I don't care for Tarkovsky, stuff like The Mirror is much better than Malick's current work.
Word.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18567 : October 08, 2019, 06:39:26 AM »

Well I'd say that A Hidden Life is probably his least philosophical movie since the 70's. The narrative here is almost completely literal as to what's happening with the story. The shooting and cutting style is closer to his newer work, maybe like a middle ground between The New World and The Tree of Life, but not aggressive as the "Love Trilogy".

I hear a lot of comparisons between The Mirror and Malick, particularly Tree of Life. They might kind of be trying to do the same thing but I don't see a ton in common, really. I've watched Mirror a few times - it's certainly a bit of a reflection on memories and childhood - but much duller in my opinion. Or maybe I just don't personally connect with it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18568 : October 08, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »

Who’s the subtle and nuanced filmgoer who hacked Powerrr’s account?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18569 : October 08, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »

Who’s the subtle and nuanced filmgoer who hacked Powerrr’s account?

:D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 1247  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines