Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 12:31:44 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 1244
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2799531 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18600 : October 15, 2019, 10:46:22 PM »

You mean the standard 1,37:1 aspect ratio, not the 35 mm film format itself?

No I’m talking about the size and format of the censor, that change the optical qualities of the image. If you’re familiar with photography it’s the same thing as the difference between APS-C (or super 35) sensors and full frame ones (although 65mm cameras have even larger sensors than full frame ones).
Check out the article, it makes the whole thing pretty clear.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18601 : October 16, 2019, 12:14:11 PM »

Nashville 6.5/10
It has its moments. If you're really into the music they're playing, it can easily be a 8-8.5/10. Glad I saw it, but I don't think I'll see it again anytime soon.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18602 : October 16, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »

13 West Street (1962)

Alan Ladd gets beaten up by a group of juvenile delinquents. He becomes obsessed with tracking down the perps on his own, instead of leaving the matter in the hands of the juvenile cop Rod Steiger.

This is a crappy movie. 5/10
I always like watching Steiger; that's all I can say about this movie. A complete mess top to bottom. And Ladd is one of the worst actors to ever be a Hollywood star.

We discussed recently elsewhere what Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, or High Sierra would have been like if George Raft had actually accepted the offers to play in those movies. Luckily, that didn't happen. But another catastrophe did happen: Alan Ladd got the role in Shane – a very poor casting choice (one of several) that brought down a very good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18603 : October 17, 2019, 03:02:03 AM »

Murder in the First (1995) 4/10

Firstly, the movie opens with "inspired by a true story" - which should give you an idea of how loosely they played with the facts. I won't bore anyone here with comparisons to the real-life case it was "inspired by," or spoil anything for any idiot who still wants to see this movie, but comparisons can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_the_First_(film)#Historical_reality and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Young (The wikipedia pages have sources; for example, this one https://web.archive.org/web/20150426192750/http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/hyoung.htm )

So yeah, I did not like the fact that the movie pretends to have much basis in reality, but anyway, even if you get past that, this movie is so annoying: the big shots of cameras moving across prison bars in the first meeting between Christian Slater and Kevin Bacon. The music, so big and schmaltzy. That brief meeting between Bacon and his sister, his lack of any emotion; the judge played by the same actor who was the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, speaking more like a drill sergeant than a judge. There is nice production design. I got a kick out of the final line of Roger Ebert's review: after describing the great furniture in the courtroom, and then describing the faults of the movie (he gives it two out of four stars), Ebert concludes, "Eventually we stop believing in the story, and then we stop caring, and then we start admiring that great furniture."  ;D

« : October 17, 2019, 03:07:34 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18604 : October 17, 2019, 03:30:23 AM »

Murder in the First (1995) 4/10

Firstly, the movie opens with "inspired by a true story" - which should give you an idea of how loosely they played with the facts. I won't bore anyone here with comparisons to the real-life case it was "inspired by," or spoil anything for any idiot who still wants to see this movie, but comparisons can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_the_First_(film)#Historical_reality and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Young (The wikipedia pages have sources; for example, this one https://web.archive.org/web/20150426192750/http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/hyoung.htm )

So yeah, I did not like the fact that the movie pretends to have much basis in reality, but anyway, even if you get past that, this movie is so annoying: the big shots of cameras moving across prison bars in the first meeting between Christian Slater and Kevin Bacon. The music, so big and schmaltzy. That brief meeting between Bacon and his sister, his lack of any emotion; the judge played by the same actor who was the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, speaking more like a drill sergeant than a judge. There is nice production design. I got a kick out of the final line of Roger Ebert's review: after describing the great furniture in the courtroom, and then describing the faults of the movie (he gives it two out of four stars), Ebert concludes, "Eventually we stop believing in the story, and then we stop caring, and then we start admiring that great furniture."  ;D

Wanna see a very good film based on a true story check out Zodiac (2007) they went to great lengths on that film, whether you like all the acting choices or not.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18605 : October 17, 2019, 05:35:45 AM »

Wanna see a very good film based on a true story check out Zodiac (2007) they went to great lengths on that film, whether you like all the acting choices or not.

Yes, ZODIAC is a very good movie. (So good despite having a lead of Mark Ruffalo, who should stick to flying around the world in airplanes to protest global warming and drop acting, because however comical he is at the former, he is laughable at the latter.)

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18606 : October 17, 2019, 07:36:33 AM »

I'd go as far as calling Zodiac the best movie of the 21st century by a country mile. Ellroy called it (paraphrasing) one of the half dozen greatest American crime films with completely unconvincing performances by the leads. My opinion on the acting isn't as spicy, but I wish RDJ and Ruffalo's parts were given to less showy actors, and while I usually like when Gyllenhaal plays weirdos, his performance may have been a little too quirky for its own good.

As someone that likes De Palma maybe more than the next person, it's a damn shame that Fincher didn't direct The Black Dahlia.

RE Shane: I think it's a masterpiece as is probably one of my favorite 10-15 movies ever but Robert Mitchum playing Shane is one of my favorite casting 'what if's' along with Kurt Russell and Charlie Sheen playing Costner and Tim Robbins' roles in Bull Durham and having Bogie replace Joseph Cotten's Uncle Charlie role in Shadow of a Doubt.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18607 : October 17, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »

The Shining (1980) - 7/10. Dull Kubrick that's still worth watching because, well, it's a Kubrick. And what lighting! I watched the new Blu (which comes with the new UHD that I don't have the equipment for) and it is beyond reference quality.  Exceedingly film-like. I really enjoyed the score this time, too.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18608 : October 17, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »

I'd go as far as calling Zodiac the best movie of the 21st century by a country mile. Ellroy called it (paraphrasing) one of the half dozen greatest American crime films with completely unconvincing performances by the leads. My opinion on the acting isn't as spicy, but I wish RDJ and Ruffalo's parts were given to less showy actors, and while I usually like when Gyllenhaal plays weirdos, his performance may have been a little too quirky for its own good.

As someone that likes De Palma maybe more than the next person, it's a damn shame that Fincher didn't direct The Black Dahlia.

RE Shane: I think it's a masterpiece as is probably one of my favorite 10-15 movies ever but Robert Mitchum playing Shane is one of my favorite casting 'what if's' along with Kurt Russell and Charlie Sheen playing Costner and Tim Robbins' roles in Bull Durham and having Bogie replace Joseph Cotten's Uncle Charlie role in Shadow of a Doubt.

Ha! Some appreciation for Zodiac. One of those movies I watch twice a year. I love it. It’s the first film that was edited without ever using tape. it’s also one of the first, if not the first movie edited on Final Cut. When They started the postproduction, Final Cut wasn’t even able to render a full feature film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18609 : October 17, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »

The Shining (1980) - 7/10. Dull Kubrick that's still worth watching because, well, it's a Kubrick. And what lighting! I watched the new Blu (which comes with the new UHD that I don't have the equipment for) and it is beyond reference quality.  Exceedingly film-like. I really enjoyed the score this time, too.
I got the UHD, and it's EXCEEDINGLY exceedingly film-like. One of the best quality discs in my collection.

The film is a 9, though

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18610 : October 18, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »

Ha! Some appreciation for Zodiac. One of those movies I watch twice a year. I love it. It’s the first film that was edited without ever using tape. it’s also one of the first, if not the first movie edited on Final Cut. When They started the postproduction, Final Cut wasn’t even able to render a full feature film.
I never looked at it as an industry changing of the guard type movie (from a technology standpoint) but maybe it was. Interesting.

Have you seen JFK (1991)? It's a must see for anyone that loves investigative crime movies regardless of inaccuracies. It's also a very modern movie and (at worst) you would appreciate it from a visual and/or technical standpoint.

RE The Shining: I had an opinion close to DJ's but say a B+ or 8/10 but it's a movie that I find endlessly analyzable and is arguably more chameleon like than any other Kubrick movie - it can be something different every time you watch it. That sounds a little dramatic but I genuinely believe it. It's an A+ for me.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18611 : October 20, 2019, 06:32:54 AM »

I never looked at it as an industry changing of the guard type movie (from a technology standpoint) but maybe it was. Interesting.

If you're really interested in the technology side of the movie, this articles says all of it:
https://ascmag.com/articles/flashback-zodiac
If you aren't really interested, don't bother, it's quite exhaustive. From the camera (it's one of the first if not the first big Hollywood film to be shot digital... in a convincing way) to the post production workflow.

Have you seen JFK (1991)? It's a must see for anyone that loves investigative crime movies regardless of inaccuracies. It's also a very modern movie and (at worst) you would appreciate it from a visual and/or technical standpoint.

I have, about 3 times I guess. Last time I was a bit taken out of the movie by the weird color grading experiments that didn't age that well. But you're right: time for a rewatch!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18612 : October 22, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »

The Love Witch (2016) 6/10. Unfunny pastiche of 70s horror films. Anna Biller, the writer-director, claims it was not her intention to send up the genre anyway, but then, just what purpose the movie has remains mysterious. It is certainly an impressive re-creation: Ms. Biller herself did the authentic-looking set designs and costumes. Not sure who is responsible for the elaborate make-up, which must have been a project in itself. Snippets of Morricone on the soundtrack add a nice touch.
On a re-watch I laughed a bit, so maybe it isn't so unfunny after all. OK, OK, it's a "7."

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18613 : October 23, 2019, 04:01:59 AM »

You forgot to include Death Wish and V for Vendetta in your list of references.

I had no interest in seeing another comic-book related movie until I saw Dr. Kermode's review and  then  I was interested. I  took the  wife and went down to the  local multi-plex and got tickets (we were three seats away from a sell-out). I enjoyed it a lot until the final act and then the plot stupidities began to overwhelm everything else. The cops investigating the subway shooting by a clown-faced man are interested in Joker because he works for a clown company from which he got fired for taking a gun on a job. So why don't they ask to see the gun? Don't they want to try to match the gun with the fired slugs? Joker wants to find out about his background so goes to Arkham Asylum where his mom spent time and he gets a guy to read him her file. Without any kind of authorizing document? And then he's able to rip the file out  of the employee's hands and run away with it? Dumbest of all: The Robert DeNiro character with the late-night show has his assistant call Joker and invite him on the show, not knowing anything about what his performance will consist of. They don't even preview it? And when it starts to go wrong, they don't cut him off and re-tape?

On the other hand, the mid-70s, pre-Guiliani ambience of "Gotham" is nicely rendered--did they actually shoot this on film? Everything has a great look. All the characters are either cruel or insane or both--not a bad approach, except it gets a bit wearing. (CJ, take note, it's a retro-neo-noir). Best of all was the central performance: except for the fact that Academy voters are going to hate the film, J.P. could be up for his second Oscar.

So, good until it wasn't, therefore worth a watch, I give it a 7/10.

I agree with everything you said, including the rating, except I was still engaged with the movie until the ending credits.

If only half comic book movies could reach that level (ie actual cinema, with its flaws and its ambitions)...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18614 : October 23, 2019, 06:38:16 AM »

The Return of Martin Guerre (1982) - 8/10. Dramatization of a famous 16th Century trial, with Gerard Depardieu in the title role. The story is interesting (after being away at war for years a man returns to take up his life as a farmer but gradually his wife, family, and neighbors begin to doubt his identity) and the photography of village life is pretty (the new Blu of the restored film looks very good, with correct colors, skin tones, and plausible grain). Perhaps Daniel Vigne, the director, tries to explain too much--I would have liked a bit more ambiguity at the end. Still, this has long been a favorite of mine.

« : October 23, 2019, 06:39:27 AM dave jenkins »

: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 1244  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines