Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 01:16:43 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 1247
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2836341 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18645 : November 07, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »

It's impossible to say anything that's not a spoiler. I want to respect everyone's first-viewing experience.
Thank you, actually. I wouldn't be able to help myself from reading it, and I really don't know too much about the film yet other than that it's remarkably good. Just over a week til I can check it out... I'll send you a DM.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18646 : November 07, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »

Voice Without a Shadow (1958) - Part of the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol I set. It's probably better than some of Suzuki's other early works like Underworld Beauty and Take Aim at the Police Van, but it has an okay mystery plot that is solved in an underwhelming manner with its main character being ignored in the latter part of the film.

The first half is pretty good until it sort of stalls out for quite a bit. The visuals are on point, its look is more subdued than Suzuki's great mid 60s movies. It's certainly the best directed of the early Suzuki stuff that I've seen and the B&W noir look carries the movie in the last half with some good locations.

All three movies in the set are unfortunately included on one bluray disc, so the transfer isn't anything special, but it's not bad either. It just lacks the detail and depth of a high quality transfer. It's competent enough though. Only recommended to big Suzuki fans or people that want to see as many Nikkatsu/retro Japanese crime movies as possible. C+

Chinatown (1974) - Forget it T.H., it's Chinatown. A++

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18647 : November 10, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »

Doctor Sleep (2019) - 6/10. Kind of a sequel to The Shining, with Danny all grown up as Ewan McGregor. He can't handle the power of the shining, the responsibility, what-have-you, so he's a drunk and a drifter. Meanwhile the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is running around killing children and stealing their essences as they expire, the secret formula for eternal life. Magneto is now Rebecca Ferguson (from the recent Mission Impossible movies), and she's onto a new child mutant, Alba, who is more powerful than anything ever seen before. Alba reaches out (psychically, natch) to Logan Danny just before she starts getting grief from the bad guys. He sort of comes to her rescue, and takes out most of the baddies but doesn't quite have the stuff to kill the ringleader. He conceives of a cunning stunt: lead Ms. Evil back to the Overlook Hotel where the sleeping evil he hopes to wake there will find her a tempting morsel and devour her. Great, but once roused, how do you put The Overlook back to sleep? I didn't really like the idea of turning the King franchise into another X-Men movie, but I got a kick out of the re-creation of the Overlook's interiors and seeing the maze again,  re-purposed. Hey, and remember how Kubrick changed the ending of King's novel? The filmmakers have found a way to bring King's original ending back for this film, even though this film is based on another King novel that has, presumably, a completely different finish. I enjoyed all the (visual and aural) nods to Kubrick's film, but I probably won't be watching this again. I was really hoping to see Ford v. Ferrari, but when I got to the multi-plex I found it won't be out for another week. Bummer.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18648 : November 11, 2019, 06:08:29 AM »

Doctor Sleep (2019) - 6/10.
A very interesting, but spoiler-laden, piece on the film: https://film.avclub.com/as-a-film-doctor-sleep-could-only-exist-at-the-interse-1839671918

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18649 : November 11, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - While the Lalo Schifrin-eque score starts off a little spotty, it really picks up after the opening credits. This is basically a perfect movie, brilliantly written, acted and directed. It's also the best Bahstan movie by a country mile and my pick for the most realistic crime movie ever made, which gets even better on additional views. It's a beautifully unglamorous game of high stakes poker with the character's freedom, or life, as the winnings. A+

The criterion bluray gets the job done. Not reference quality or anything, but the outdoor scenes really pop.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18650 : November 11, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »

"You can't take it with you", 1939, Humphrey Bogart and Billy Halop as street gangsters who end up in Sing Sing, from Turner Classic.  I liked it, rate 7/10.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18651 : November 11, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - While the Lalo Schifrin-eque score starts off a little spotty, it really picks up after the opening credits. This is basically a perfect movie, brilliantly written, acted and directed. It's also the best Bahstan movie by a country mile and my pick for the most realistic crime movie ever made, which gets even better on additional views. It's a beautifully unglamorous game of high stakes poker with the character's freedom, or life, as the winnings. A+

The criterion bluray gets the job done. Not reference quality or anything, but the outdoor scenes really pop.

very good movie  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18652 : November 13, 2019, 06:14:01 AM »

Viy (1967) - 7/10. Soviet horror film with some really creepy stop-go animation at the end. I saw if on Youtube, but now I find there's a good release on blu coming: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26004

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18653 : November 14, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »

Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off-Screen (2004) - 10/10. Tremendous documentary included with the Criterion edition of  Detour. Not only is it full of great info, not only do they interview the right filmmakers (Corman, Dante, Landis, Wenders), not only do they include remarks from actors such as Ann Savage, John Saxon, Peter Marshall, etc. they also  figured out a way to take the curse off of Talking Head Syndrome. They put almost everyone in a car, or (and this is genius) if not an actual car, a car body in a studio with rear projection. (Of course, rear projection is one of the few special effects used in Detour). Fantastic editing! This disc also comes with a great piece by a film scholar talking about Ulmer, and there is a very interesting bit where  the people responsible talk about the restoration (which, I understand, is really good). Man, with the Criterion sale on at B&N right now, you'd have to be a complete sap not to snap up a half-priced copy of this amazing release.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18654 : November 14, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »

Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off-Screen (2004) - 10/10. Tremendous documentary included with the Criterion edition of  Detour. Not only is it full of great info, not only do they interview the right filmmakers (Corman, Dante, Landis, Wenders), not only do they include remarks from actors such as Ann Savage, John Saxon, Peter Marshall, etc. they also  figured out a way to take the curse off of Talking Head Syndrome. They put almost everyone in a car, or (and this is genius) if not an actual car, a car body in a studio with rear projection. (Of course, rear projection is one of the few special effects used in Detour). Fantastic editing! This disc also comes with a great piece by a film scholar talking about Ulmer, and there is a very interesting bit where  the people responsible talk about the restoration (which, I understand, is really good). Man, with the Criterion sale on at B&N right now, you'd have to be a complete sap not to snap up a half-priced copy of this amazing release.

I've seen this documentary. Maybe on TCM?

Don't forget, DJ, that besides the studio car, much of the doc takes place in a cemetery!  ;D

BTW, have you seen any Ulmer films besides Detour?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18655 : November 15, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

The Black Cat, many years ago, but more recently Bluebeard and The Strange Woman. I liked 'em all.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18656 : November 15, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »

I'd only recommend The Man From Planet X (1951) to retro sci-fi fans but the trailer is worth seeing for the noir visuals and the creature design, which is genuinely creepy looking, but not in a Stan Winston kind of way.

I've wanted to see The Naked Dawn (1955) for quite some time, maybe I'll watch that soon.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18657 : November 16, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

Ford v. Ferrari (2019) IMAX - 10/10. An old-fashioned Hollywood buddy picture told with convincing CGI and some of the most precise photography on the planet. See it in IMAX or not at all.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18658 : November 17, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »

Many of the stunts are done in camera, by the way. There is a video with BTS clips on social media right now. Next time I stumble upon it I'll give you the link.

« : November 17, 2019, 02:04:01 PM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18659 : November 17, 2019, 11:52:49 AM »

Darker than Amber (1970) - Unfortunately, any synopsis you read spoils the movie, but this is a laid-back PI thriller type of movie that is very of its time, in a good way. I saw a shitty VHS quality version on youtube (taped off the tube decades ago) so it's hard to tell how visually impressive this movie truly is, but it's legit with some great set design like a 1970 cruise ship that is the most late 60s/early 70s thing ever. This has a great fight scene and this contains the best Rod Taylor performance. The pace isn't perfect (though I probably watched an edited for TV version, so who really knows) but it's very much worthy of seeing, at the worst. B-

I highly recommend the Pure Cinema Podcast for any retro movie fans - I think DJ linked it here first. They go insanely deep with 60s/70s titles, some of which I've never even heard of. Hands down, it's the best movie podcast I've listened to, especially if you're looking for new things to discover.

« : November 17, 2019, 11:55:12 AM T.H. »

: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 1247  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines