Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2020, 11:11:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1291
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3307453 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18720 : December 28, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »

I only watched the much shorter theatrical version (twice), and that one is not on the level of his masterpieces The State of Things and The Heaven above Berlin (aka Wings of Desire).
I also like The State of Things quite a lot. My other faves are Kings of the Road, The American Friend, and The Goalie's Anxiety .... I also like the one he produced with Peter Handke as the putative director, The Left-Handed Woman.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18721 : December 29, 2019, 05:08:30 AM »

Haven't seen the new Criterion release but I've certainly seen the film.  I really hate it. I've gone back to it several times trying to give it another chance, but it keeps getting worse and worse.
Curious why you hate it... you're talking about the 5 hour cut?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18722 : December 29, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »

After Wings of Desire Wenders really lost it. I have a soft spot for The End of Violence, but to my mind his only really successful feature film since his heyday has been 2015's Every Thing Will Be Fine.

Pretty close to my view. Every Thing Will Be Fine was a not expected pleasing film.

For Until the End of the World I have to wait until I have watched that very long version, but his then next film the Wings of Desire sequel Faraway, So Close! was a then not expected disappointment.

I'm not so enthusiastic about The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, which belongs to his early films, and is just like Wrong Move less interesting than Alice in the Cities, Kings of the Road and The American Friend, 3 films with a 9/10 entertainment factor.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18723 : January 01, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »

A trio of 'somehow-these-keep-getting-better-after-how-many-views' this past week.

The Killing (1956) - Maybe the most modern film of the 50s and the narration can't even date it much. A top 5 of the classic noir era. A+

Ed Wood (1994) - Tim Burton's masterpiece and much better visually than I remembered (first time seeing this on bluray). It's almost impossible to make a quirky movie without veering into cringy territory but Ed Wood straddles that line perfectly. A great love letter to 50s Sci-Fi and Horror and the movie is shot like a stark B&W neo-noir with great performances all around. I wish Mars Attacks (1996) came out half as good as this movie. A+

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - One of the best openers (and closers!) of the classic Hollywood era and its dark subject matter is so ahead of its time - and it sort of has a science fiction element to it - and it looks like a horror movie. Outside of the goofy over-the-top Va-Voom mechanic, this is a perfect movie -- and the dames in this one actually would resemble the women in the underworld or the underbelly of 50s LA. Another top 5 of the classic noirs. A+

« : January 01, 2020, 10:06:45 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18724 : January 02, 2020, 04:22:45 AM »

A trio of 'somehow-these-keep-getting-better-after-how-many-views' this past week.

The Killing (1956) - Maybe the most modern film of the 50s and the narration can't even date it much. A top 5 of the classic noir era. A+

Ed Wood (1994) - Tim Burton's masterpiece and much better visually than I remembered (first time seeing this on bluray). It's almost impossible to make a quirky movie without veering into cringy territory but Ed Wood straddles that line perfectly. A great love letter to 50s Sci-Fi and Horror and the movie is shot like a stark B&W neo-noir with great performances all around. I wish Mars Attacks (1996) came out half as good as this movie. A+

Whole heartedly agree with The Killing and Kiss Me Deadl, haven't seen Ed Wood since it came out. will have to give it another look.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - One of the best openers (and closers!) of the classic Hollywood era and its dark subject matter is so ahead of its time - and it sort of has a science fiction element to it - and it looks like a horror movie. Outside of the goofy over-the-top Va-Voom mechanic, this is a perfect movie -- and the dames in this one actually would resemble the women in the underworld or the underbelly of 50s LA. Another top 5 of the classic noirs. A+

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18725 : January 02, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »

You forgot to include Death Wish and V for Vendetta in your list of references.

I had no interest in seeing another comic-book related movie until I saw Dr. Kermode's review and  then  I was interested. I  took the  wife and went down to the  local multi-plex and got tickets (we were three seats away from a sell-out). I enjoyed it a lot until the final act and then the plot stupidities began to overwhelm everything else. The cops investigating the subway shooting by a clown-faced man are interested in Joker because he works for a clown company from which he got fired for taking a gun on a job. So why don't they ask to see the gun? Don't they want to try to match the gun with the fired slugs? Joker wants to find out about his background so goes to Arkham Asylum where his mom spent time and he gets a guy to read him her file. Without any kind of authorizing document? And then he's able to rip the file out  of the employee's hands and run away with it? Dumbest of all: The Robert DeNiro character with the late-night show has his assistant call Joker and invite him on the show, not knowing anything about what his performance will consist of. They don't even preview it? And when it starts to go wrong, they don't cut him off and re-tape?

On the other hand, the mid-70s, pre-Guiliani ambience of "Gotham" is nicely rendered--did they actually shoot this on film? Everything has a great look. All the characters are either cruel or insane or both--not a bad approach, except it gets a bit wearing. (CJ, take note, it's a retro-neo-noir). Best of all was the central performance: except for the fact that Academy voters are going to hate the film, J.P. could be up for his second Oscar.

So, good until it wasn't, therefore worth a watch, I give it a 7/10.

A total shit show, never liked super hero comics or their "universes." As soon as I see a mask, mantyhose or face paint I mentally shut it out. I was a Classics Illustrated kinda guy. Watched a SAG screener never would have paid cash. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18726 : January 03, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »

A total shit show, never liked super hero comics or their "universes." As soon as I see a mask, mantyhose or face paint I mentally shut it out. I was a Classics Illustrated kinda guy. Watched a SAG screener never would have paid cash.

Good cinematography and atmosphere though. More importantly, Joker is a real try at making actual cinema. There is movie grammar in it, they're trying to make individual scenes work, they're trying to be smart with the structure, to make interesting and meaningful visuals, they're actually working on and thinking about the music (instead of just going with the regular blockbuster forgettable shit)... they're tying to make a movie here. They mostly fail at it, not in a huge way, but if your regular Marvel was half as good at TRYING, we would be living an incredible golden age.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 8.5/10
Second viewing. I'm note sure what my rating was after the first viewing, but I didn't get bored for a single second this time. This movie is going to become a classic "comfort movie" for me. I just like experiencing its world.
A quick note on an aspect of QT movies that never gets discussed outside of the music: the soundtrack. More precisely: the foleys and the mix. They are absolutely terrific (and have been so since Kill Bill vol. 1). You can hear every single thing about that dog bite, that car passing by or that trailer creaking. Wonderful work.

Great Expectations 4/10
Terrible movie where you can already spot the incredible genius of both Cuaron and Lubeski everywhere you look, despite the cheesy 90's overexposed look, the overused 90's crossfades, the grandiloquent 90's narration and the bland 90's Ethan Hawk.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18727 : January 04, 2020, 09:54:59 AM »

Good cinematography and atmosphere though. More importantly, Joker is a real try at making actual cinema. There is movie grammar in it, they're trying to make individual scenes work, they're trying to be smart with the structure, to make interesting and meaningful visuals, they're actually working on and thinking about the music (instead of just going with the regular blockbuster forgettable shit)... they're tying to make a movie here. They mostly fail at it, not in a huge way, but if your regular Marvel was half as good at TRYING, we would be living an incredible golden age. 

Better atmosphere and cinematography in Motherless Brooklyn

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18728 : January 07, 2020, 01:15:41 AM »

Better atmosphere and cinematography in Motherless Brooklyn

We'll see about that  ;)

Sid and Nancy 7/10
Great film for a good part but then the fall felt way too long. Even in 1986 when it was released people had already seen the drug movies from the 70's so we don't need to spend as much time on that. It felt so repetitive. Apart from that everything (including Deakins' gorgeous cinematography in a documentary style he never really returned to) is terrific.

Sidenote: does anyone of our new yorker members know where the shot at 0:49 is taken from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZp3meyWVm0

« : January 07, 2020, 02:38:39 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18729 : January 08, 2020, 09:30:18 AM »

The Lighthouse 8/10 (for now)
Another very good one. Great year. The closing shot is probably the best looking shot of the year, eventhough it's a year where we got 8 hours of Refn/Khondji.
Just saw this on blu and I hate, hate, hated it. Pretentious as hell. How can the Robert Pattinson character listen to Willem Dafoe for 30 seconds without immediately exploding into laughter? This is a movie about a moron who meets a cartoon. Beautifully shot, of course, but SO WHAT?

« : January 08, 2020, 09:32:28 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18730 : January 08, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »

Just saw this on blu and I hate, hate, hated it. Pretentious as hell. How can the Robert Pattinson character listen to Willem Dafoe for 30 seconds without immediately exploding into laughter? This is a movie about a moron who meets a cartoon. Beautifully shot, of course, but SO WHAT?
How is it pretentious? I think it's intended to be more of a comedy than a horror. I wouldn't say it's pretentious what so ever - the thing has like ten fart jokes.

And hey if you don't want that Blu-Ray, I know a guy who might...

« : January 08, 2020, 10:03:04 AM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18731 : January 08, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »

Care to make a trade?

Fart jokes? What about all the meaningless allusions to classical mythology? That's what's pretentious.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18732 : January 08, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

I expected something pretentious, and it turned out to be the least pretentious a movie shot in black and white in a 1.19:1 format could ever be. It's just plain fun all along.
Also it's funny you say "This is a movie about a moron who meets a cartoon", the characters themselves have a scene where they say exactly that to each other (which IS the filmmakers making fun of their own characters and showing you they aren't to be taken too seriously anyway). Of course they say it in the beautiful old english they use throughout the movie.

That being said, yes, I agree, I also wonder "so what?" a little. I'm note sure there is a point in all this appart from the cinematic experiment. Maybe I'm wrong but after one viewing that's where I stand. It doesn't matter too much, the cinematic experiment is a great success and I could watch the whole thing again twice this week with pleasure. I'll take your blu ray too.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18733 : January 08, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »

Fart jokes? What about all the meaningless allusions to classical mythology? That's what's pretentious.

You know, I suspect you'd really like Eggers' previous movie, The Witch. Seriously.

Also, you can criticize Eggers on so many fronts, but you cannot call him pretentious for his use of mythology: this guy's reason to live is to read about mythology. He's absolutely crazy about this shit.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18734 : January 08, 2020, 01:01:30 PM »

You know, I suspect you'd really like Eggers' previous movie, The Witch. Seriously.

Also, you can criticize Eggers on so many fronts, but you cannot call him pretentious for his use of mythology: this guy's reason to live is to read about mythology. He's absolutely crazy about this shit.
I can certainly criticize him for using mythology for no other reason than to show off. That's what it means to be pretentious: pretending a level of sophistication that isn't warranted. If he used his knowledge of myth to enhance meaning that would be different. But the classical allusions in the film lead nowhere.

: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1291  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines