Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2020, 11:12:11 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1291
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3307455 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18735 : January 08, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »

I expected something pretentious, and it turned out to be the least pretentious a movie shot in black and white in a 1.19:1 format could ever be.
An example of a b&w film that uses an old aspect ratio (1.37 :1) successfully was Ida (2013). The idea seems to have been to do a pastiche of an early 60s Polish film so that the director could treat a subject that was verboten at the time in which the events occur. Technically, Ida looks like one of those old films, but it also has the integrity of one of those films (it treats its subjects seriously and well). The pastiche has a purpose, it amplifies the themes of the film, it underlines the time and place in which the story is set, it supports the story. The way the aspect ratio is used in The Lighthouse seems to be merely to create a parody. But a parody of what? There were no such films back in the day. Is it then a parody of itself? How is that possible? I guess if you find the film funny it works but that wasn't my response. I just saw it as a film with a lot of unmotivated cinematic gestures.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18736 : January 08, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »

An example of a b&w film that uses an old aspect ratio (1.37 :1) successfully was Ida (2013). The idea seems to have been to do a pastiche of an early 60s Polish film so that the director could treat a subject that was verboten at the time in which the events occur. Technically, Ida looks like one of those old films, but it also has the integrity of one of those films (it treats its subjects seriously and well). The pastiche has a purpose, it amplifies the themes of the film, it underlines the time and place in which the story is set, it supports the story. The way the aspect ratio is used in The Lighthouse seems to be merely to create a parody. But a parody of what? There were no such films back in the day. Is it then a parody of itself? How is that possible? I guess if you find the film funny it works but that wasn't my response. I just saw it as a film with a lot of unmotivated cinematic gestures.

Ida is on my list, I have only seen one iconic scene from it and loved it.

That being said the aspect ratio here works pretty well. The main point for me is claustrophobia, which is very often the main strength of narrower aspect ratios. Another big advantage of the squarish ratio, that wasn't intended but proved to be pretty convenient, according to Egger, is simply the fact that the added vertical room meant that they could fit the lighthouse itself in many compositions without going crazy wide or full contreplongée.

Last, it wasn't only funny to me. It was a full cinematic ride, with action, comedy, dialogues (said in a beautiful old English, I cannot stress this enough), terrific acting (mostly by Dafoe, of course), fantasy, sex, everything. It was an all you can eat ride. I expected to go be like "I like it but it's a bit boring", and the end result is that I really like it and there is no "but".

Hey, let us know what you think of The Witch if you ever try it. It's as radical in its own way but to me it was way easier to spot the story that was really being told behind the whole thing. It's also slower and feels actually pretentious.

« : January 08, 2020, 03:27:52 PM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18737 : January 09, 2020, 07:56:57 AM »

Care to make a trade?
I would but there's nothing in my collection I want to give up ... besides maybe The Exorcist 40th Anniversary Blu? A blind buy that I didn't care for.

Otherwise, hold onto The Lighthouse and rewatch with n_l's wisdom in mind, who explained the movie much more eloquently than I.

Some Jonathan Demme:

Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids (2016) - 7.5/10
Demme's last feature is pretty good. It doesn't have close to the spark Stop Making Sense does, but one of his better concert movies otherwise. It's just a bit closer to a generic concert video style with some choices that otherwise would never have been made without Demme at the helm. And I don't care for the music, but the showmanship and spectacle is impressive.

Rachel Getting Married (2008) - 8.5/10
A drama that wavers between lighthearted (not comedic) and extremely heavy in a very Demme fashion. Interesting approach, and great performances. PT Anderson was almost cast as a supporting lead in this one, apparently (trivia I hadn't known till after watching, which I would have fantasized had I known before hand)

« : January 09, 2020, 08:02:37 AM PowerRR »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18738 : January 09, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »

Power cannot express anything about the movie because he's still thinking about the masturbation scenes, he doesn't remember anything else.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18739 : January 09, 2020, 08:01:38 AM »

Power cannot express anything about the movie because he's still thinking about the masturbation scenes, he doesn't remember anything else.
How did you comment so fast? I EDITED MY POST WITH MOVIES.

And yes I'm still masturbating to the masturbating scenes. I need to pick up this blu on the way home for a hell of a Thursday night.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18740 : January 09, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »

Saw JoJo Rabbit Reminded me of The Tin Drum somewhat. I was entertained 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18741 : January 09, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

I really want to see this one. It's gonna be released at the very end of the month. I'm also waiting for Uncut Gems, direct to Netflix, at the very end of the month.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18742 : January 15, 2020, 01:34:20 AM »

Scenes from a Marriage 10/10
My first Bergman in more than a decade. What a masterpiece.
Has anybody seen the TV show version? I highly suspect the cuts they made to keep it under 3 hours in the feature film highly benefit the whole thing.

« : January 15, 2020, 01:36:27 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18743 : January 15, 2020, 04:17:40 AM »

Marriage Story (2019) Seemed like non stop screaming that drags on way too long you want to kill them all by the time it's over.  I lost interest.   How did it end? Anybody care?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18744 : January 15, 2020, 08:26:40 AM »

Marriage Story (2019) Seemed like non stop screaming that drags on way too long you want to kill them all by the time it's over.  I lost interest.   How did it end? Anybody care?

Spoiler alert:

Bittersweet ending.
It ends with them being both divorced and reconciled.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18745 : January 15, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »

Kapo (1960) 8/10

Susan Strasberg plays the young concentration camp prisoner who becomes a kapo.

The concentration camp depiction is very well done.

Directed by Gillo Pontecorvo.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18746 : January 15, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »

Kapo (1960) 8/10

Susan Strasberg plays the young concentration camp prisoner who becomes a kapo.

The concentration camp depiction is very well done.

Directed by Gillo Pontecorvo.
Been meaning to watch this. Maybe I'll spin it today.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18747 : January 16, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »

Multiple Maniacs (1970) dir John Waters, Sort of a traveling Carnival the Cavalcade of Depravity starring Divine, David Lochary, Mink Stole, The Egg lady from Pink Flamingos and the rest of the Waters -Baltimore acting company.

Divine runs the show which also involves kidnapping and robbing the customers, driving around in a rusty 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, that even though the film is in Black and White you just know it's pink.

Music was nice also.

Inspired lunacy on the cheap.

« : January 17, 2020, 04:04:52 AM cigar joe »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18748 : January 16, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »

Band of Robbers (2015) Written and directed by the Nee brothers Aaron and Adam. An updating of Tom Sawyer (Adam Nee) and Huck Finn (Kyle Gallner).

They grow up and part ways. Huck is just out of prison, Tom is one of the town cops, Becky is his new partner. Tom finds a clue and a treasure man gets back with his ol pal Huck to try and figure out where the treasure map is buried. Indian Joe played by Stephen Lang is pretty good. Chuckle inducing 6.5-7/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18749 : January 17, 2020, 04:14:44 AM »

Female Trouble (1974) A spoiled schoolgirl with a bouffant hairdo, runs away from home on Christmas Day. She hitchhikes to Baltimore, gets laid and pregnant. Starts working first as diner waitress, then stripper then hooker finally ending up as a fashion model for a pair of beauticians who like to photograph women committing crimes.

Written and directed by John Waters. Starring Divine, David Lochary, Mary Vivian Pearce, and the rest of the Waters/Baltimore acting company.

Mindless entertainment with some bizarre sequences. 5-6/10.

Currently ON Demand on TCM.

: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1291  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines