Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2020, 11:05:35 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1291
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3307446 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18780 : February 06, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »

Well put.  :-*
Is this...Dj... agreeing with me?!!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18781 : February 06, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »

And sending you a kiss!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18782 : February 08, 2020, 04:20:39 AM »

Gross!

Silverado 6/10
Utterly stupid and even more utterly 80's western. Lots of cool scenes, weird and phony but often interesting cast, some great and some terrible costumes and set design choices and a moronic plot that keeps paying tributes to iconic western movies from different traditions make for a pleasant, if paradoxical, watch. I won't be watching it again any time soon though.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #18783 : February 09, 2020, 06:40:32 AM »

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 9/10
First viewing in years. Among all the great movies I've seen, it's probably the most flawed. The best scene is still Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Which version. The last one Peckinpah touched or the 2005 revised one? Hopefully the former...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18784 : February 09, 2020, 07:11:37 AM »

Which version. The last one Peckinpah touched or the 2005 revised one? Hopefully the former...

I'm not sure, I'm a bit lost with all the different cuts. It lasts 1h55, and features an argument between Pat and his wife. Which one is it?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18785 : February 09, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »

It is the 2005 cut, a compromise between the theatrical version and the preview version.

It has Knockin on Heaven's Door with the lyrics, yes?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18786 : February 09, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »

Yes!

The 2005 cut is the one from the special edition DVD, right? If so that's the one I had seen on my 2 previous viewings (I own that DVD). The film felt very similar, I didn't notice a difference.

I have no idea what I saw the very first time, it was whatever they put on TV in the early 2000's.

By the way, here is a terrific article about the movie with nice pics and a pdf of the screenplay:
https://cinephiliabeyond.org/sam-peckinpahs-pat-garrett-and-billy-the-kid-finally-got-the-respect-it-deserved/

« : February 09, 2020, 10:33:27 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18787 : February 09, 2020, 05:51:25 PM »

Marriage Story (2019) Seemed like non stop screaming that drags on way too long you want to kill them all by the time it's over.  I lost interest.   How did it end? Anybody care?

I saw this on Netflix. Miss Korea has nuthin but Netlix in her apartment - no BRD player, no TCM - so i am forced to watch crappy movies when I am by her.

It's about a couple getting divorced. Subject matter totally does not interest me. I imagine that a person interested in the subject matter would like the movie - the acting is very good all around. Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, and Alan Alda. But bthe subject matter doesn't interest me at all and I did not enjoy the movie.

Not long after I saw this, I saw, also on Netflix The Squid and the Whale (2005) - I had no idea it was by the same writer/director (Noah Baumbach), and very similar subject matter: A married couple (Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney) separate, and of course it affects their sons (Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline). Again, the performances were all good, but the subject matter didn't interest me much. This one focused more on the kids than on the parents, and was better than Marriage Story, but again, I had no interest in it, and it also seemed to have a thing for  awkward moments that I am soooo uninterested in seeing (like awkward sexual scenes, ugh)

« : February 09, 2020, 05:57:05 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18788 : February 09, 2020, 05:56:47 PM »

The Two Popes (2019) 7.5/10

I saw this on Netflix, and actually it's decent.

About the transition from the conservative Benedict to the liberal Frances.

Much of the movie is a long conversation - actually, a series of conversations - betweeen the two, played by Anthony Hopkins (Benedict) and Jonathan Pryce (Frances). Both give terrific performances - though Hopkins doesn't even try to use a German accent, he speaks in pretty much his normal accent.

Pryce was nominated for Best Actor and Hopkins for Supporting Actor, but they are really both just about equal leads. I guess they chose to submit one in one category and one in the other in the hope that both would win.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18789 : February 10, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »

In terms of cinema, Korea is the Canada of Asia.

someone just asked me to send you the following message:

In your face, dj!  :P

All my love,

Miss Korea

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18790 : February 10, 2020, 02:14:44 AM »

Yes!

The 2005 cut is the one from the special edition DVD, right? If so that's the one I had seen on my 2 previous viewings (I own that DVD). The film felt very similar, I didn't notice a difference.

I have no idea what I saw the very first time, it was whatever they put on TV in the early 2000's.

By the way, here is a terrific article about the movie with nice pics and a pdf of the screenplay:
https://cinephiliabeyond.org/sam-peckinpahs-pat-garrett-and-billy-the-kid-finally-got-the-respect-it-deserved/

Hey, great, that screenplay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.
I assume it is the shooting script, which was largely altered and re-written by Peckinpah.

In 2000 it was one of the other 2 versions. If you can remember if the ingenious Knockin' on Heavan's Door scene was with or without the lyrics, than you know which version you saw. Another conspicuous indicator would be if the film started with teh 1909 time frame.

Unlike Novecento I think, and I'm unfortunately in a minority with that, that the 2005 cut is  (apart from the famous yet unreleased Stanton cut) the best so far, the one which does the film the most justice. I also think that the theatrical version already worked very, very well, despite all the missing things.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18791 : February 10, 2020, 05:44:24 AM »

Hey, great, that screenplay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.
I assume it is the shooting script, which was largely altered and re-written by Peckinpah.

In 2000 it was one of the other 2 versions. If you can remember if the ingenious Knockin' on Heavan's Door scene was with or without the lyrics, than you know which version you saw. Another conspicuous indicator would be if the film started with teh 1909 time frame.

I had missed the first few minutes the first time, which is why I never knew what I saw. Also, I don't remember about the lyrics. The thing is that scene was always my favorite scene and the one that stuck with me since the very first viewing... but I only noticed on my second watch that it was Knocking on Heaven's Door. So it's very possible there was no lyrics the first time.

Unlike Novecento I think, and I'm unfortunately in a minority with that, that the 2005 cut is  (apart from the famous yet unreleased Stanton cut) the best so far, the one which does the film the most justice. I also think that the theatrical version already worked very, very well, despite all the missing things.

I think it's a flawed film anyway, by nature. The poetry and powerfulness of the thing is very obvious in each and every scene. A whole new edit could be done, as long as they don't go for a fast pacing (but I don't think it would be possible), and the main idea as well as the emotion would still be there. I remember thinking the 2005 version was probably the best one too after reading about all the differences, but don't know why by now. All I know is what I saw the other day was incredibly powerful, and it makes a perfect double feature with The Irishman.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18792 : February 10, 2020, 06:51:15 AM »

Yes, it is indeed a pretty powerful film, despite being a totally fatalistic film in theme and tone. 

Yet Peckinpah was in a disastrous condition at the time of the making, and some scenes are not played out to their potential limit. I actually think that some of the violence is in all versions wrongly edited. But the episodic structure in combination with the individual quality of the scenes make the film work in every version.

The short theatrical version (105 min) is merely a string of violent shoot-outs, but that gives the film a quality of its own, which gets then lost by adding scenes in which the themes of the film are deepened, but no violence is apparent.  In that short version the film still preserves its elegiac atmosphere and its lyrical feeling, most of the film's ideas are visible, only a bit less easy to spot.

I actually think that the current 115 min version would benefit from some further editing, by cutting out some more of the new scenes, and by adding a few shorter elements of the used scenes from the preview version. I think for example that the wife scene you mentioned is much too talky, much too obviously showing what it is about, and not that well played. In the preview version the scene ends with Garrett hesitating at his picket fence, before he enters his home. This alone does not tell us everything of the wife scene's content, but still enough to deepen Garrett's inner conflicts.

« : February 10, 2020, 07:06:48 AM stanton »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18793 : February 10, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »

A Lady Without Passport (1950) - 6/10. Pluses: Location shooting of pre-revolutionary Cuba; studio shooting of Hedy Lamarr's beautiful face; George Macready's oily presence as the villain. Minuses: John Hodiak, John Hodiak, John Hodiak. Well, at least in this one he isn't wearing that stupid mustache. This is the film in which Hodiak plays an immigration officer who learns that when an illegal alien looks like Hedy it's okay just to wave her in.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18794 : February 10, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »

I saw this on Netflix. Miss Korea has nuthin but Netlix in her apartment - no BRD player, no TCM - so i am forced to watch crappy movies when I am by her.

It's about a couple getting divorced. Subject matter totally does not interest me. I imagine that a person interested in the subject matter would like the movie - the acting is very good all around. Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, and Alan Alda. But bthe subject matter doesn't interest me at all and I did not enjoy the movie.

Not long after I saw this, I saw, also on Netflix The Squid and the Whale (2005) - I had no idea it was by the same writer/director (Noah Baumbach), and very similar subject matter: A married couple (Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney) separate, and of course it affects their sons (Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline). Again, the performances were all good, but the subject matter didn't interest me much. This one focused more on the kids than on the parents, and was better than Marriage Story, but again, I had no interest in it, and it also seemed to have a thing for  awkward moments that I am soooo uninterested in seeing (like awkward sexual scenes, ugh)
I'm getting the idea that there's something about these films you don't like. Could it be the subject matter?

: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1291  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines