Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2020, 05:02:09 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1274
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3086943 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18945 : April 01, 2020, 04:58:01 AM »

Thanks.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18946 : April 01, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »

Dedee d'Anvers (1948) Director Yves All?gret. French film Noir

The film that put Simone Signoret on the map, with Marcello Pagliero, Bernard Blier, and Marcel Dalio. Dedee (Signoret) is a popular prostitute working Mr. Rene's (Blier), nightclub in Antwerp's red light district. She sleeps with her pimp Marco (Dalio). Marco is in debt to a gangster and pushes Dedee to pull more tricks. Francesco an Italian ship captain falls in love with her and promises to take her with him. Marco gets desperate. It's got quite a surprising ending. Some pretty good cinematography 7/10

« : April 01, 2020, 12:31:48 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18947 : April 02, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

The Cranes Are Flying (1957) - 5/10. Another classic that, on inspection, turns out to be not so hot. There's a lot of moving camera work, often well done, but sometimes overly indulgent, to the point of self-parody. The biggest weakness, though, is the story, about a woman waiting for her fiance to return from the Great Patriotic War. This is another one of those films that relies on characters doing stupid things repeatedly to further the plot. It's the Russian Waterloo Bridge (which is not a compliment). The new Criterion blu, however, looks very, very nice.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18948 : April 03, 2020, 07:07:41 AM »

The Cranes Are Flying (1957) - 5/10. Another classic that, on inspection, turns out to be not so hot. There's a lot of moving camera work, often well done, but sometimes overly indulgent, to the point of self-parody. The biggest weakness, though, is the story, about a woman waiting for her fiance to return from the Great Patriotic War. This is another one of those films that relies on characters doing stupid things repeatedly to further the plot. It's the Russian Waterloo Bridge (which is not a compliment). The new Criterion blu, however, looks very, very nice.

I have never seen it but got the BD at christmas. I was really waiting forward to see it until i read your review.

Vice 7/10
Actually pretty good! Is it acurate? Probably not. But the film is aware about the issue so it's ok. I guess.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18949 : April 03, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »

I have never seen it but got the BD at christmas. I was really waiting forward to see it until i read your review.
Oops. Sorry.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18950 : April 05, 2020, 02:54:37 AM »

Once Upon A Time... The Revolution 9/10
Because it's its actual title and you're all wrong.

Sincerely, Louis CK 8/10
Great one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18951 : April 05, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »

What a dick. The actual title is Il etait une fois... la revolution. (sorry, the diacriticals aren't showing properly)

There was only one thing--one thing in your entire life--that you had to get right. And you couldn't even do that.

« : April 05, 2020, 12:46:19 PM dave jenkins »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18952 : April 05, 2020, 11:51:07 PM »

What a dick. The actual title is Il etait une fois... la revolution. (sorry, the diacriticals aren't showing properly)

There was only one thing--one thing in your entire life--that you had to get right. And you couldn't even do that.

No. I think the right title in English is the one I wrote.

Then, OF COURSE you should all watch any non OUATIA Leone film in French anyway but that's another story.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18953 : April 06, 2020, 06:41:31 AM »

No. I think the right title in English is the one I wrote.
You are just not getting it. Of the many, many films SL released in 1971, three were Il etait une fois... la revolution, Giu la testa, and Duck, You Sucker. Three different films, three different languages.

All these years coming on the board and you've learned nothing.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18954 : April 06, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »

Sincerely, Louis CK 8/10
Great one.

Wrong. WRONG! Sincerely is a 10.

Once Upon a Tim ... the Revolution (definitely the best title) is at least a 9.5!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18955 : April 07, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »

Le Mans 66 (2019) - 10/10. Very similar to Ford vs. Ferrari, just not in IMAX. The blu is available in a really sweet-looking steelbook. Yeah, baby!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18956 : April 07, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »

Le Mans 66 (2019) - 10/10. Very similar to Ford vs. Ferrari, just not in IMAX. The blu is available in a really sweet-looking steelbook. Yeah, baby!

have you ever seen Grand Prix (1966) with James Garner? I thought it was very good.

They made a romantic melodrama film story which you may roll your eyes at, but the racing imagery is terrific.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18957 : April 07, 2020, 01:51:40 PM »

Well, it's a Frankenheimer film, so the hardware is good, the action is good, the human relationships, not so much. I have the blu and when I watch it I try to jump ahead to the races, which have the best POV shots of any of the racing films. I prefer the McQueen film, but I'm very fond of parts of Grand Prix. I just wish I could see it in Cinerama, it's original format.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #18958 : April 07, 2020, 07:23:14 PM »

Of the many, many films SL released in 1971, three were Il etait une fois... la revolution, Giu la testa, and Duck, You Sucker. Three different films, three different languages.

Le Mans 66 (2019) - 10/10. Very similar to Ford vs. Ferrari, just not in IMAX.

Hmmm... I'm detecting a theme here.

I'd assumed Le Mans 66 was the original title changed for North American audiences, but apparently not.

have you ever seen Grand Prix (1966) with James Garner? I thought it was very good.

They made a romantic melodrama film story which you may roll your eyes at, but the racing imagery is terrific.

Well, it's a Frankenheimer film, so the hardware is good, the action is good, the human relationships, not so much. I have the blu and when I watch it I try to jump ahead to the races, which have the best POV shots of any of the racing films. I prefer the McQueen film, but I'm very fond of parts of Grand Prix. I just wish I could see it in Cinerama, it's original format.

Yeh the racing scenes are great in both Grand Prix and Le Mans... and who needs a story after that? Saul Bass's contribution to Grand Prix is really great too.

"Grand Prix" is actually full of famous real F1 drivers. From the ever-reliable (sometimes questionable) wiki: "The film includes real-life racing footage and cameo appearances by drivers including Formula One World Champions Phil Hill, Graham Hill, Juan Manuel Fangio, Jim Clark, Jochen Rindt and Jack Brabham. Other drivers who appeared in the film include Dan Gurney, Ludovico Scarfiotti, Richie Ginther, Joakim Bonnier, Bruce McLaren and Jo Siffert".

Out of curiosity are there any other F1 fans on the board? I was pumped to see F1 TV was now available for streaming on Roku only to purchase it right before all major sporting events were canceled. Still they have some great archives going back to 1980 to keep me busy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18959 : April 07, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »

I liked GRAND PRIX more then LE MANS. Though I saw a pristine version of the former and a bad version of the latter, so that may have had an effect.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1274  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines