Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 06:31:07 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 16 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 1296
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3430527 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19140 : June 10, 2020, 04:45:31 AM »

Serie noire (1979) - Directed by Alain Corneau. Written Georges Perec, Alain Corneau, and Georges Perecand and based on A Hell Of A Woman by Jim Thompson.

Creteil. Sort of a Paris Staten Island. One of those forgotten suburbs. Juxtapose crumbling one hundred year old dumps with empty lots rimmed by Modernist glass boxes. A suburb in flux. Franck Poupart. A door to door traveling salesman. Franck fantasizes about being a hard boiled detective. He's parked his 69 Peugeot 504 beater in a wasteland awaiting dubious development. Its thundering. He wears a trench coat. He's sort of shadow boxing with unseen crooks and dancing with femme fatales.  He stops outside a dilapidated house with a mansard roof, an old junked stove is sitting in the front yard, a real class place. He spots a young lady watching from an upstairs window. An older Matron answers the door. She tells him to scram. She don't want any. He counters by telling her he looking for his client Mr. Tikides. He was a fuck-up of a handyman.

The woman asks Franck if Tikides owes him money. Franck lies and tells her that he made one payment too many. She tells Franck that he's at the gym. He shows her a pure synthetic tortoise shell vanity set that she can have at no obligation. She says no and is about to close the door when Franck asks if her daughter would like anything? She tells him its her niece. He tells the woman that her niece is pretty. He jokes and tells the old woman that he'd certainly buy some of that, and that maybe they could come to some arraignment. Franck is taken back when the old woman asks him if he has any quilted dressing gowns.

Franck's fantasy dreams of being the hero and rescuing the damsel in distress and leaving his drab existence come true when he meets Mona.

Its a decent adaptation of Thompson. Entertaining, nice seeing Bernard Blier from Dedee d'Anvers - 7/10 It would make a good double bill with Hit Me (1996) another of Thompson's views into the low rent abyss.

« : June 10, 2020, 05:01:00 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19141 : June 10, 2020, 06:00:59 AM »

Good write-up, CJ, but you don't convey just how funny the film is. Every time Patrick Dewaere goes into one of his fantastic lies (which is just about every time he opens his mouth) I come close to busting a gut. The monologing is certainly the product of Georges Perec--I doubt Thompson was the source. Our English subtitles probably don't do it justice. And the (hilarious) ending is very different, I understand, from Thompson's book.

Given the Georges Perec element, this would make a good double bill with The Man Who Wakes.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19142 : June 10, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »

Great movie. Of course it works much better in French.
Some say Dewaere killed himself because of how the part destroyed him. I'm pretty sure Dewaere brought his own noirceur to it anyway.

It's considered as one of the most important french movies, and it sure is. I'm always amazed by the way that film, that fewer and fewer people watch, keeps showing up in so many movie discussions.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19143 : June 10, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »

"Enough" 2002. starring Jennifer Lopez  decent thriller, say 6.5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19144 : June 13, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »

Mado (1976) - 6/10. A businessman (Michel Piccoli) facing financial ruin tries running a game on his abler competitor. Meanwhile he agonizes over the fact that his prostitute girlfriend . . . is seeing other men! Only in France. And because this is a Claude Sautet film, Romy Schneider makes a (very brief) appearance. It's OK, but not interesting enough to justify its substantial run time.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19145 : June 13, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »

Memories of Murder (2003) - 7/10
Alternatively very good and pretty dumb. Definitely my favorite Bong Joon-ho so far: when it's good, it's really good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19146 : June 14, 2020, 08:46:30 AM »

Murder By Contract (1958) Saw this again on Noir Alley, I'd up it to an 8/10, Edwards is great.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19147 : June 17, 2020, 11:24:43 AM »

The Limey (1999) - Soderbergh might be my favorite director that never made a great movie. This is good but it's probably a little too fragmented and hollowed out, though the efficient, concise method of storytelling by constantly using flashback and flash forward techniques ultimately works. I was hoping this would take a leap on a re-watch but it may be more interesting than flat out good. It's certainly better than Payback from the same year in terms of Point Blank inspired crime movies from '99. B

« : June 17, 2020, 11:31:57 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19148 : June 20, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »

Les choses de la vie/ The Things of Life (1970) - 7/10. Remade in English with Richard Gere as Intersection (1994), which I haven't seen. Both are about a car accident. In this one the car is an Alfa Romeo, so, obviously, it's a tragedy. The film features Michel Piccoli and Romy Schneider (together again for the first time!), Lea Massari, and a camera with a mind of its own. The violence of the central event, it seems, shatters the narrative, and the audience must spend the run time reassembling the pieces. Needless to say, this film is an editor's dream.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19149 : June 22, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »

BlacKkKlansman (2018) 7/10
I cannot believe this was actually good! First ever Spike Lee movie I enjoyed. There is a good chance a second watch could make my rating drop by a full point but I enjoyed 80% of it. It's really fun.
Also, I won't enter politics here, but even the message was pretty well done (although we aren't in the realm of absolute subteltly here. Think Adam McKay's Vice.)

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19150 : June 23, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »

Betrayal of the Dove, 1993.  Rate as average thriller, but a must for Helen Slater fans like me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19151 : June 23, 2020, 07:18:38 AM »

Betrayal of the Dove, 1993.  Rate as average thriller, but a must for Helen Slater fans like me.
What about Billy Zane fans?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19152 : June 23, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »

What about Billy Zane fans?

For them New Blu of This World Then The Fireworks here https://www.kinolorber.com/product/this-world-then-the-fireworks-dvd

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19153 : June 23, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »

For them New Blu of This World Then The Fireworks here https://www.kinolorber.com/product/this-world-then-the-fireworks-dvd
Ordered!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19154 : June 23, 2020, 08:03:18 PM »

Miroir (1947) - 7/10. From IMDb: "By day he is rich, brilliant and respectable financial officer Lussac; at night, he becomes "Mirror", a ruthless gang leader in Marseilles." The "he" is Jean Gabin, without whom this movie would be a disaster. There's very little in the plot of interest--the usual boss-beset-by-gangland-rivals sort of thing, but Gabin has the class and nonchalance to sell anything. And there are plenty of supporting characters with attitude to burn. There are also a number of scenes worth re-watching, including the gang war ending set in a cemetery. Gabin is, of course,  the last man standing, but not for long. At the end his lifeless body falls and slides into a freshly dug grave. Sergio, call your office.

: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 1296  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines