Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 02, 2020, 05:57:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1296
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3421351 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19245 : August 11, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »

They Live (1988) - 6/10
Very fun, weird 30min introduction that serves no purpose, and when the real premise of the movie is met it's basically an hour of action non stop. The acting is mostly terrible, the corny one liners are (rarely) hit and (mainly) miss, and the action has some great moments but also a whole lot of lousy ones. The fistfight is a highlight, and there is a lot of gay subtext there so everybody will be happy. It's a shame they didn't even try to do the great movie the premise could have lead to.
I feel like this is retaliation for me (sorta) shit talking PT Anderson.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19246 : August 11, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »

I feel like this is retaliation for me (sorta) shit talking PT Anderson.

Haha

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES, Mr TH.

But if I?m harsh with the movie it?s more to piss off RR who?s a bigger Carpenter fanboy than you are.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19247 : August 11, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »

Haha

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES, Mr TH.

But if I?m harsh with the movie it?s more to piss off RR who?s a bigger Carpenter fanboy than you are.
Way too harsh of a rating in my opinion, and Power is more of a Starman fanboy than a Carpenter superfan.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19248 : August 11, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »

Boxing Helena (1993) David Lynch's daughter Jennifer directs a strange bizarre film about obsession and alienation. This is the second time I've seen it, this go round since I knew what was coming enjoyed it more. Sexually repressed Surgeon with mommy problems obsesses over a man eating bitch of a would be femme fatale.

Lynch at least does an exceptional job capturing the sexual essence of Sherilyn Fenn as desirable siren who lures men to distraction and more. The party fountain scene is worth the watch.

Also staring Julian Sands, Art Garfunkel, Bill Paxton, Betsy Clark, Nicolette Scorsese, and Meg Register

I'd up my initial non review (probably a 5) to a 6-7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19249 : August 11, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

Do I have to go to war with the entire SLWB??? Fuck you n_l, They Live is an 8/10 at WORST! A 9 for me. The worst part is, all the things you complain about are the best parts.

And TH ... I?m definitely a massive Carpenter fan. But especially Starman. They Live is my #2, but Starman has got a special place in my heart. I think the only place we differ on is The Thing, which is really great (I see why it?s obviously considered his best movie), but It doesn?t have the colorful fun and camp that appeals to me personally in most JC movies

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 4/10
This was the only movie I?ve walked out of the theater for back when it came out. I managed to finish it the following year and gave it a 3. This was my second full viewing - this movie just gets better and better  ::) but unfortunately I think I?m done trying with it. It?s certainly no post-90s PTA or They Live or even Patriot, but I guess the technical aspects are objectively good (for the most part)

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19250 : August 11, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »

And TH ... I?m definitely a massive Carpenter fan. But especially Starman. They Live is my #2, but Starman has got a special place in my heart. I think the only place we differ on is The Thing, which is really great (I see why it?s obviously considered his best movie), but It doesn?t have the colorful fun and camp that appeals to me personally in most JC movies
I stand corrected, you're half of a Carpenter superfan since there are two John Carpenters (in his prime) and you only choose to recognize one of them.

There's the guy who made the now prophetic Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween and The Thing -- movies that are dark, brooding and cleverly cynical, and then there's also the John Carpenter that made the now prophetic Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live of the brilliant camp variety.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19251 : August 12, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »

I'm in the other team. I like The Thing and Assault on precinct 13 much more than the campy Carpenter.

Also RR is a liar just like Drink :

This was the only movie I?ve walked out of the theater for back when it came out. I managed to finish it the following year and gave it a 3. This was my second full viewing - this movie just gets better and better  ::) but unfortunately I think I?m done trying with it. It?s certainly no post-90s PTA or They Live or even Patriot, but I guess the technical aspects are objectively good (for the most part)

Quote from: PowerRR
Scott Pilgrim Viewing 2.5 (after walking out of the theater on release and then stomaching the whole thing on HBO a year later) - 5/10

Things I Dislike:
- the performances / general cutesy, over the top hipster acting style. Cera and his character are especially awful. So is his 17 y.o. Girlfriend and the bicurious ex he has to fight.
- The dialogue - it?s ?different? but insufferable - ?i heart this band / i hearted this band?, ugh, it?s like 7th grader YouTuber lingo and even if it?s self aware, you still have to deal with hearing it
- The humor... not one genuine laugh from me (beyond a couple nose exhales). And I?m smart and funny and like funny things - I swear. Vegan Police wasn?t bad.
- Basically all the same reasons that I hate Juno: annoying humor, dialogue and actors build up to create awful, unnatural characters that I don?t care about
- The fight with the first ex bf - it?s so fucking lame. I hate that actor so much. The dialogue is annoying as hell. The musical number sucks.
- The fight with Scheartzmann at the end, from the start to Scott?s death scene, encapsulates everything that I dislike about the movie to that point. It?s not even fun - it?s just noisy and sloppy and I just wanted it to end. But it rewinds itself so that it?s just as annoying the second time but with a character revelation instead. At this point, why even watch the movie? I?d rather just go to the arcade where the games aren?t even this obnoxious.

Things I Like:

- The general story is good
- rapid changes in style and rhythm (but for me, I waaaay prefer the similar style used in Eternal Sunshine or Kill Bill - it works better and feels more genuine in those). This obviously had more visual flair than those but I don?t think that?s necessarily a good thing as much as it is impressive
- The onscreen Graphics to emulate the feeling of a comic book. Though I think the obvious super lame shit like ?pee bar? is cringey, I like the quick words and scribbles
- Culkin brother is good, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is good
- When sfx are used very quietly to complement pieces of dialogue
- Zelda Super Nintendo music and noises - my favorite game
- The Seinfeld / crowd reaction scene

It?s not a 3/10 anymore, but 5-10 years later since last seeing it, it?s still just not my thing and probably like a 5/10. Generally I like the movie technically, but the biggest compliment I can give it on a personal level is ?it?s objectively impressive?. The big kill switch for me is that it?s too annoying to be funny, and when we?re dealing with a joke I don?t like every 5 seconds or so, it just doesn?t work

In the end you just don't like the humor, and it's actually the only drawback you have. Which could be a fair criticism for a comedy, unfortunately you're talking about the funniest movie since The Big Lebowski.

I agree about the first fight, that's one thing that was much better handled in the comic... although Wallace has some of his best moments there. I used to agree about the last fight, but with each viewing it became less and less true, they don't actually show you anything twice at all. I now like it a lot, especially for the character's arch, but in the end, the truth of the matter is that the first half of the movie is clearly superior to the second half (something that is true with every single Edgar Wright movie ever).

« : August 12, 2020, 01:23:24 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19252 : August 12, 2020, 02:58:13 AM »

Do I have to go to war with the entire SLWB??? Fuck you n_l, They Live is an 8/10 at WORST! A 9 for me. The worst part is, all the things you complain about are the best parts.

lol, I've seen these PTA films, Hard Eight, Magnolia, Boogie Nights, The Master, There Will Be Blood, and Inherent Vice, I liked Hard Eight and Boogie Nights, didn't like Inherent Vice, the rest I'd watch again. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19253 : August 14, 2020, 01:48:44 AM »

And as you mentioned Hossein's Cemetery without Crosses, everybody worth being here should have watched that one long ago.

Unrelated: I spent the whole day yesterday interviewing veteran horse stuntman/stunts supervisor (and actually everything horse related) Mario Luraschi and his team. He's a really good friend of Robert Hossein. They've worked together on numerous movies as well as on the live show Ben-Hur.
He also worked on Corbucci's Django.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19254 : August 14, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »

I'm having a They Live / The Thing double feature on my outdoor projector tonight. come to rhode island y'all non-Carpenter-haters

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19255 : August 14, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »

The Thing is really good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19256 : August 14, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »

The Getaway (1994) Well I finally rectified not seeing the 1994 remake. I wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised. I knew it was Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger taking the place of McQueen and MacGraw but didn't realize that the rest of the cast was a future all star line up. James Woods excepted, Michael Madsen, , Jennifer Tilly, Richard Farnsworth and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The others David Morse and James Stephens are OK. Some sequences are a bit more fleshed (wink, wink) out others have minor changes.

Director Roger Donaldson since he was making almost a shot by shot remake of Peckinpah couldn't screw it up too bad. I give it an 8/10

« : August 15, 2020, 04:17:42 AM cigar joe »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19257 : August 16, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »

Almost Famous (2000)

I saw this movie once before ? just after it was released on VHS. I loved it.

Watching it now for the second time 20 years later ? I can say it was made pretty well if you like this sort of thing, though the subject matter doesn't appeal to me all that much now.

When I saw the movie, I was 15, same age as the protagonist; into heavy metal music (I still am, listening to the music and going to concerts, but don't pay much attention to the "scene" or read music magazines) ; and my first kiss, right around the time the movie was released, was with a smoking hot 19-year old girl. Hardly a week has passed in the last 20 years when I haven't thought of her at least once. Maybe one day I'll be an old man like Bernstein telling stories ? only he never got to kiss the girl in the white parasol  :-*

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19258 : August 16, 2020, 03:51:14 AM »

The Getaway (1994) Well I finally rectified not seeing the 1994 remake. I wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised. I knew it was Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger taking the place of McQueen and MacGraw but didn't realize that the rest of the cast was a future all star line up. James Woods excepted, Michael Madsen, , Jennifer Tilly, Richard Farnsworth and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The others David Morse and James Stephens are OK. Some sequences are a bit more fleshed (wink, wink) out others have minor changes.

Director Roger Donaldson since he was making almost a shot by shot remake of Peckinpah couldn't screw it up too bad. I give it an 8/10

Thanks CJ. I have always been hesitant to give it a shot, although my father (who probably only saw it once on TV 20 years ago) keeps talking about it from time to time. I will now.

Almost Famous (2000)

I saw this movie once before ? just after it was released on VHS. I loved it.

Watching it now for the second time 20 years later ? I can say it was made pretty well if you like this sort of thing, though the subject matter doesn't appeal to me all that much now.

When I saw the movie, I was 15, same age as the protagonist; into heavy metal music (I still am, listening to the music and going to concerts, but don't pay much attention to the "scene" or read music magazines) ; and my first kiss, right around the time the movie was released, was with a smoking hot 19-year old girl. Hardly a week has passed in the last 20 years when I haven't thought of her at least once. Maybe one day I'll be an old man like Bernstein telling stories ? only he never got to kiss the girl in the white parasol  :-*

I saw this one twice. It's pretty formulaic and not particularly well done (nor is it badly done), but it really catches something special that makes me smile.

Moneyball (2011) - 7/10
Great writing, very good performances all around and unfortunately a direction that is too slow and feels too self important for the movie's own good. Definitely inspiring though.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) - 9/10
Third watch. That movie gets way deeper every time I see it/think about it. I think the only flaw I cannot get passed is the over indulgence in the first 30 minutes: too much of the back and forth between the "story" and the fake movies/shows should go WAY faster: the way it is done there destroys the purpose. QT should work with Thelma Schoonmaker. Anyway, it's awesome.

« : August 16, 2020, 04:35:58 AM noodles_leone »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19259 : August 17, 2020, 06:28:45 AM »

Home Sweet Hell - dark comedy (not sure one is supposed to say "black comedy" these days) about a "perfect" wife doing anything and everything to protect her "perfect" marriage/family.  Kath Heigl, Jordana Brewster, Jim Belushi.  5/10

: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1296  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines