Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2020, 03:45:31 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 1292
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3322895 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19260 : August 17, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »

I saw this one twice. It's pretty formulaic and not particularly well done
Formulaic in regards to what? I would love to live in a world where there are more movies like this. From a technical standpoint, it's solid, but it should have been shot in scope. But in no way would I say that this movie isn't well made.

Almost Famous is one of the best movies of the last 20 years and it's horrifying that one year from now it will not qualify to be included in that time frame. I'd only put Zodiac ahead of it.

I really wish Cameron Crowe would make a movie or mini series about his experience as an undercover high school student, which led to the Fast Times at Ridgemont High book, and then classic movie -- where his character was not included. I think it would be a great comeback project for him.

« : August 17, 2020, 11:38:12 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19261 : August 17, 2020, 12:42:29 PM »

Yes, technically ?solid? can work too. I have no problem with the way it?s done. It isn?t particularly impressive either. I would say: ?it?s clean.?

By formulaic I meant that nothing is really surprising. Everything unfolds the way you guess it?s gonna unfold 10 to 15min in. I guess I could have been nicer because some scenes stay with you... but it still hit all the expected beats pretty much exactly when you except them... which is something that wouldn?t bother me too much in a genre film, but for a coming of age story that takes place in the music industry it feels too... unstrained? Bourgeois? And it takes more than an implied (and rather poetic) foursome to avoid it.

That being said I don?t want to sound to harsh: Almost Famous does the main thing it?s supposed to do, and it does it well.

It?s funny you love the movie. I certainly didn?t expect you to jump in.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19262 : August 17, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »

Yes, technically ?solid? can work too. I have no problem with the way it?s done. It isn?t particularly impressive either. I would say: ?it?s clean.?

By formulaic I meant that nothing is really surprising. Everything unfolds the way you guess it?s gonna unfold 10 to 15min in. I guess I could have been nicer because some scenes stay with you... but it still hit all the expected beats pretty much exactly when you except them... which is something that wouldn?t bother me too much in a genre film, but for a coming of age story that takes place in the music industry it feels too... unstrained? Bourgeois? And it takes more than an implied (and rather poetic) foursome to avoid it.

That being said I don?t want to sound to harsh: Almost Famous does the main thing it?s supposed to do, and it does it well.

It?s not a heavy drama. In fact, some describe it as a drama/comedy. So the fact that there are no real surprise plot twists and there is a expected happy ending where everything turns out great, doesn?t bother me too much. This is not film noir. It?s a teen adventure story.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19263 : August 17, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »

95%+ of movies are predictable, that's a lazy critique especially for a coming-of-age flick. The title of the subgenre in itself is a spoiler.

One of the main reasons why the movie is special is because the characters aren't cynical and everything isn't drenched in irony, nor are they the typical upper class elite types that usually plague slice of life movies. Nor are the characters in Almost Famous of the stock unrealistic bland movie character variety. I'd say all that is pretty impressive when most of characters are critics, musicians or groupies. 

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19264 : August 17, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »

Cet homme est dangereux (This Man Is Dangerous) (1953) Eddie Constantine's second outing as Lemmy Caution. Lemmy Caution escapes a Kansas Penitentiary and heads to France to thwart a planned kidnapping of a young American Heiress who is hanging out on the riviera gambling on a private yacht. The owner of the yacht is working with local mobster Siegella Gr?goire Aslan whose M.O. is to always wears gloves so that he never leaves a trace.

Again, I wasn't expecting much so was again pleasantly surprised. Poison Ivy the first Caution flick was directed by Bernard Borderie he showed a flair for on location shooting and the first film had a lot of atmosphere.

This second Caution flick was directed by Jean Sacha who also shows some style but this one is lighter in atmosphere and in this film the back and forth dialogue between Eddie the various women and the gangsters is a bit snappier and more humorous. The Siegella gang hangs out (like El Indios gang) in a deserted monastery. Eddie fakes being drunk like Eastwood in Fistfull, There is a good copy available on DVD from Video Dimensions with English Subs, 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19265 : August 17, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

95%+ of movies are predictable, that's a lazy critique especially for a coming-of-age flick. The title of the subgenre in itself is a spoiler.

One of the main reasons why the movie is special is because the characters aren't cynical and everything isn't drenched in irony, nor are they the typical upper class elite types that usually plague slice of life movies. Nor are the characters in Almost Famous of the stock unrealistic bland movie character variety. I'd say all that is pretty impressive when most of characters are critics, musicians or groupies.

They?re not groupies. They?re band aides  ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19266 : August 17, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »

They?re not groupies. They?re band aides  ;)
Haha is that the PC term, if so that's another name like "little person" which sounds worse than the so-called offensive term.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19267 : August 17, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »

95%+ of movies are predictable, that's a lazy critique...

Well that's an even lazier critique of my own critique. It's predictable and I don't have to like it. Also, I, and I suspect you too, like way less than 95%+ of movies.

... especially for a coming-of-age flick. The title of the subgenre in itself is a spoiler.

Like I said, it would have bothered me less with many other genres/subgenres. But for a coming of age flick, no, I don't like that it's (too) predictable. That particular subgenre is always on the verge of becoming a sex ed class/advice collumn in a young women's magazine, and predictability certainly doesn't help.

This, on the other hand, is very true.

« : August 17, 2020, 11:57:24 PM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19268 : August 18, 2020, 12:32:11 AM »

Haha is that the PC term, if so that's another name like "little person" which sounds worse than the so-called offensive term.

Not PC. In the movie, that is what the girls call themselves.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19269 : August 18, 2020, 01:20:48 AM »

The Gentlemen (2019) - 6/10
At last, a watchable (and also far from ugly) Guy Ritchie flick. All in all it looks a whole lot like what he used to do in the 90's, but with a budget and with nowadays' technology. For the better and for the worst.
The two best things about the movie: Hugh Grant in what may very well be the best role of his career (I still hope the guy will work with Edgar Wright one of these days), and the YouTube boxers.

Betty Blue aka 37.2? Le Matin, a much better title (1986) - 7/10
I had somehow managed to never see until now what it probably the very first french cult movie. It's actually not that great BUT it's poetic, inventive and very generous. Beineix tries very hard to tell his story mostly with images and sounds, which is such a rare occurence in France that he should have a statue just for that. Unfortunately, said story isn't interesting and the acting is more miss than hit, but the constant change of locations and the whole craft that went into doing it keeps it going. Also, naked (yet hairy, sorry Drink) people all over the place.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19270 : August 18, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »

Well that's an even lazier critique of my own critique. It's predictable and I don't have to like it. Also, I, and I suspect you too, like way less than 95%+ of movies.
Nope. Using this logic I can call nearly every Leone movie predictable. See the problem with this criticism?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19271 : August 18, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »

Nope. Using this logic I can call nearly every Leone movie predictable. See the problem with this criticism?

Seriously I don't. Again:

... which is something that wouldn?t bother me too much in a genre film, but for a coming of age story that takes place in the music industry it feels too... unstrained? Bourgeois? And it takes more than an implied (and rather poetic) foursome to avoid it.

Like I said, it would have bothered me less with many other genres/subgenres. But for a coming of age flick, no, I don't like that it's (too) predictable. That particular subgenre is always on the verge of becoming a sex ed class/advice column in a young women's magazine, and predictability certainly doesn't help.

By the way, I don't find OUATIA's coming of age part predictable at all.

« : August 18, 2020, 02:33:24 PM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19272 : August 19, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »

Seriously I don't. Again:

By the way, I don't find OUATIA's coming of age part predictable at all.
I was talking about movies like A Fistful of Dollars. And how is Zodiac less predictable than Almost Famous?

Sorry, but the "it's predictable" critique is a major pet peeve of mine.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19273 : August 19, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »

Haha i can see that and I suspect it keeps you from understanding my point; so  I will just keep repeating the same thing I?ve said for 3 posts now: some genres are better suited to predictability (although it?s rarely a good  thing in itself). Coming of age movies, to me, really aren?t.

Hence, yeah, FoD, FFDM and Zodiac (although I don?t think so for that last one) may be predictable and it?s kinda ok. But the first half of OUATIA shouldn?t be, and isn?t. Almost Famous shouldn?t be, and is.

« : August 19, 2020, 10:36:01 AM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19274 : August 19, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »

Haha i can see that and I suspect it keeps you from understanding my point; so  I will just keep repeating the same thing I?ve said for 3 posts now: some genres are better suited to predictability (although it?s rarely a good  thing in itself). Coming of age movies, to me, really aren?t.
I understand what you're trying to say, don't get it twisted.

So movies like American Graffiti, Dazed and Confused, Stand By Me, et al are too predictable?

: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 1292  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines