Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 07, 2021, 08:02:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1309
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3620266 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19545 : January 22, 2021, 12:47:45 PM »

Cover Up (1949) - 7/10. A small town murder mystery set at Christmas, with Dennis O'Keefe and William Bendix. The story is pretty hokey, but there's an interesting trick table, and a lot of funny lines. Barbara Britton is easy on the eyes, too. https://ok.ru/video/2091163322907

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19546 : January 22, 2021, 08:56:22 PM »

Public Speaking (2010) - 9/10. Scorsese's documentary on Fran Lebowitz, the funniest woman in America. Something to watch while I wait for Netflix to issue Pretend It's a City on disc.

« : January 23, 2021, 11:31:45 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19547 : January 23, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »

"The 12th Man (2017)" WW2 story of 12 Norwegians, trained as saboteurs in Great Britain for a mission against the Germans occupying Norway.  11 were killed, true story of the 12th.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19548 : January 23, 2021, 11:20:57 AM »

Mank (2020) - 8/10
Second viewing, which came much later than I expected and wanted. The film was amazingly limpid this time around. It?s the story of Mank?s redemption it?s the story of a man who thought he wasn?t part of the system, and scene after scene, discovers he is. Then he makes a movie about himself, and a rich guys takes it personally.
What stroke me more than the first time around is how much of a comedy this is. And how much David Fincher is having fun emulating a comedy, and this is where the real comedy lies (which is weird for a movie that fascinated by death: death of a certain kind of cinema, death of the big screen, death of many of its characters, death of Jack Fincher, death of the screenwriters...).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19549 : January 23, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »

"The 12th Man (2017)" WW2 story of 12 Norwegians, trained as saboteurs in Great Britain for a mission against the Germans occupying Norway.  11 were killed, true story of the 12th.

This thread is called ?rate the last movie you saw,? not ?tell us the last movie you saw.?  :P

Was it good? Bad? Ugly? Sumthin else?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19550 : January 23, 2021, 06:30:14 PM »

Promising Young Woman (2020) - 9/10. The wife and I are big Carey Mulligan fans, so we took this in. I was leery in the beginning, though: it seemed the director was trying to blend a romcom with a revenge flick, requiring two incompatible tones. But as the story unfolded, with its many twists and reverses, it all came together very neatly. This has a really, really clever plot, maybe the best I've seen since the Tarantino/Roger Avary days. (I'm not sure why, but it also includes two separate references to Night of the Hunter.) Someone named Emerald Fennell both wrote and directed. IMDb tells me she's chiefly an actress in British television. She's obviously someone with a career worth following, which I shall do from now on.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19551 : January 23, 2021, 06:32:43 PM »

Der Verlorene aka The Lost Man (1951)

Directed by Peter Lorre.

Based on a novel by Peter Lorre screenplay was by Axel Eggebrecht, Helmut K?utner, Peter Lorre and Benno Vigny. Cinematography was by V?clav V?ch, Music by Willy Schmidt-Gentner.

The film stars Peter Lorre as Dr. Karl Rothe, aka Dr. Karl Neumeister, Karl John as H?sch, aka Nowak, Helmuth Rudolph as Colonel Winkler, Johanna Hofer as Frau Hermann, Renate Mannhardt as Inge Hermann, Eva Ingeborg Scholz asUrsula Weber, Lotte Rausch as Woman on Train, Gisela Trowe as Prostitute, Hansi Wendler as the Secretary.

This story is told in a series of flashbacks. Dr Rothe is a kindly German doctor caring for refugees and displaced persons in a relocation camp after the war. When H?sch his former assistant is brought to the camp he triggers the flashbacks.

In reality he is Dr. Karl Neumeister who was a scientist doing bacteriological research to help the Nazi war effort during WWII. All is good until the SS informs him that his fianc?e is secretly selling his secret discoveries and formulas to the Allies for food money while also having an affair with H?sch. H?sch is an SS informer who reveals her activities to the authorities. Neumeister goes off his rocker and murders her by strangulation.

The crime is covered up by the SS. However  things go Noirsville when Neumeister not quite right in the head any longer now gets an un-controllable impulse to strangle any woman who reminds him in any small way of his dead fianc?e.

Lorre has some great closeups, his puss twitching grotesquely in this depicting his conflicting emotions and tortured mental illness. V?clav V?ch's  cinematography is both nightmarish and dream like. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19552 : January 24, 2021, 09:00:45 AM »

Alien: Covenant 6/10
I'm surprised by its rewatch value. I like the first hour a lot. After that, it quickly falls apart, but still has a couple of good scenes to offer. The key is to not expect too much of it, and not take it as a whole movie: let's pick and chose good action/adventure scenes in the Alien universe.

« : January 25, 2021, 05:21:27 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19553 : January 24, 2021, 11:32:17 PM »

The Battle of Algiers
Second viewing
Still 9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19554 : January 25, 2021, 05:23:13 AM »

Prometheus (2012) 6/10
Gorgeous to look at. A real adventure feel from time to time (especially in the first hour). Cool abortion scene. It's better to shut your brain off most of the time and enjoy the ride. Good rewatch value, lots of Lawrence of Arabia tributes all over the place.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19555 : January 25, 2021, 09:04:05 AM »

Public Speaking (2010) - 9/10. Scorsese's documentary on Fran Lebowitz, the funniest woman in America. Something to watch while I wait for Netflix to issue Pretend It's a City on disc.
Are you not gonna watch it on Netflix? I've got a feeling that one won't be getting a physical release.

I didn't like Public Speaking when it came out but I was also 20 years old and thought it was annoying. I liked Pretend It's a City a lot, 8/10.

John Carpenter's Christine (1982) - 9/10
The Lord of the Rings (2001 - 2003) - 7/10

« : January 25, 2021, 09:08:00 AM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19556 : January 25, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »

Are you not gonna watch it on Netflix? I've got a feeling that one won't be getting a physical release.
I didn't like Public Speaking when it came out but I was also 20 years old and thought it was annoying. I liked Pretend It's a City a lot, 8/10.
I don't have Netflix so I'm hoping for a physical release. It may not happen, as you say, but The Irishman was Netflix and Scorsese, and it got released on disc, so there's a chance. If you like Pretend It's a City I'd think you'd like Public Speaking, so you should go back and try it again.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19557 : January 26, 2021, 04:08:29 PM »

Generation War (Unsere Mutter, unsere Vater), 3-part mini-series.  German language, English subtitles.  I give 8.5/10, well worth watching.  Follows 5 young German friends from 1941-1945.

« : January 28, 2021, 08:32:46 AM Cusser »
uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19558 : January 26, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »

Hey guys.

NETFLIX releases all its programs on DVD- at least in the US.
AMAZON is the the streaming service that doesn't- you have to subscribe to see original content.
So, if you have to choose, subscribe to AMAZON.
You can catch NETFLIX on disc.
Bruce

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19559 : January 27, 2021, 03:46:53 AM »

Hey guys.

NETFLIX releases all its programs on DVD- at least in the US.
AMAZON is the the streaming service that doesn't- you have to subscribe to see original content.
So, if you have to choose, subscribe to AMAZON.
You can catch NETFLIX on disc.
Bruce

I have both plus, there is a lot on Youtube and OK.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1309  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines