Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2021, 06:54:47 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1332
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4111415 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19860 : July 31, 2021, 06:53:09 AM »

Blues in the Night (1941) - 9/10. Man does this have pace! And tunes! And a cast: Norman Lloyd (best role ever), Betty Field (best role ever), Priscilla Lane (lovelier than ever), Jack Carson (giving his patented #1 Heel performance, always a pleasure), even Elia Kazan in a small part. A straight-up meller rather than a noir, it plows through a lot of story in under 90 minutes. From a Robert Rossen screenplay, based on a play by Kazan.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19861 : August 01, 2021, 01:08:21 AM »

The Mule

A new Bradley Cooper film, with the always great Micheal Pena in a too small role with not much chance to steal the show. Likeable but conventional, and a bit too sentimental towards the end. 6/10

Hey, Clint is much more interesting to watch than Bradley in this movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19862 : August 01, 2021, 06:35:05 AM »

Runaway Train (1985) - Pretty much a perfect thriller until things get a little too crazy with the chopper near the end, and some will be put off by Eric Roberts' bold performance. But for me, I didn't mind those potential flaws and this is a smart, very well shot and entertaining ride with a great supporting cast featuring the likes of Eddie Bunker, T.K. Carter, Tiny Lister, Kenneth McMillan and Danny Trejo. As for the main cast, Jon Voight and John P Ryan give career defining performances and Rebecca De Mornay was way better than you would ever expect her to be in that kind of role -- which would seem like a total miscast on paper. The Kino bluray is highly recommended. Classic. A
How do you think it compares with the Tony Scott remake?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19863 : August 01, 2021, 07:27:11 AM »

I saw that. Amanda needs to lighten up. There is no mention of her anywhere in the movie.

Amanda was unjustly accused and prosecuted, for political reasons by a corrupt city official.  That case was very open and shut, and with a wild theory the official alone practically destroyed her life.

Only a viewer indifferent to watching the news over the last decade could fail to make the connection.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19864 : August 01, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »

How do you think it compares with the Tony Scott remake?

Even as a Tony Scott fan, I wrongly rolled my eyes when QT was praising this movie so much on the (podcast) episode of The Rewatchables, but he was right. It's the one late era Tony Scott movie (Domino onwards) that I really dig. I prefer Runaway Train but Unstoppable was way better than I expected.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19865 : August 01, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »

Even as a Tony Scott fan, I wrongly rolled my eyes when QT was praising this movie so much on the (podcast) episode of The Rewatchables, but he was right. It's the one late era Tony Scott movie (Domino onwards) that I really dig. I prefer Runaway Train but Unstoppable was way better than I expected.
My feelings almost exactly. And I got on to it, not from the podcast you mention, but from a different podcast QT did.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19866 : August 02, 2021, 01:14:22 AM »

Unstoppable (not really a remake) was at least less boring, and better directed and acted, but still far from exiting.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19867 : August 02, 2021, 01:16:13 AM »

Hey, Clint is much more interesting to watch than Bradley in this movie.

Ohh, Clint was in it, it seems I did not notice ... which role?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19868 : August 02, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »

Unstoppable (not really a remake)
Wrong.
still far from exiting.
Wrong again. It's very "exiting."

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19869 : August 02, 2021, 11:58:25 PM »

No, right, very right actually, it's definitely not a remake, just a film with a similar plot idea.

Even Wiki does not play the remake card, which is quite a surprise, does actually not even mention Runaway Train. Only at the bottom under "see also", which lists some more thrillers set on ... well, you may be surprised ... trains.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19870 : August 03, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »

No, right, very right actually, it's definitely not a remake, just a film with a similar plot idea.
It's not a "similar plot idea"; both films are based on the historical runaway train event that occurred between Syracuse and Rochester NY and was written up in the March 1963 issue of Life. A copy of the article is included in the booklet that came with the Arrow blu for Runaway Train.

In 1985 Konchalovsky made his version of the story. In 2010 Tony Scott made a second version. Because Scott's version followed Konchalovsky's it is a remake. By definition.

I'm well aware that there are idiots who try to draw distinctions between movies based on written sources and movies based on other movies and movies based on written sources that somehow ignore an intervening film. Please spare me these arguments. These are ultimately distinctions without a difference and I call BS on the whole enterprise.

« : August 03, 2021, 09:13:37 AM dave jenkins »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19871 : August 03, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »

It's not a "similar plot idea"; both films are based on the historical runaway train event that occurred between Syracuse and Rochester NY and was written up in the March 1963 issue of Life. A copy of the article is included in the booklet that came with the Arrow blu for Runaway Train.

In 1985 Konchalovsky made his version of the story. In 2010 Tony Scott made a second version. Because Scott's version followed Konchalovsky's it is a remake. By definition.

Nope.

A matter of definition what a remake is.
If a remake is a film that is based on a previous film, it is not a remake. Based on the same event is not enough to call it remake. So by definition not in this case.

For me I go even further, and new versions of books are not necessarily remakes, only if they are more based on the earlier films then on the novel.

The Getaway of the 90s is doubtless a remake of the Peckinpah film. The MGM Ben Hur of 1959 was a remake of the silent version, the most recent version not, or at least not so much.

« : August 03, 2021, 12:01:04 PM stanton »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19872 : August 03, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »

VOCABULARY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19873 : August 03, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »

Nope.

A matter of definition what a remake is.
If a remake is a film that is based on a previous film, it is not a remake. Based on the same event is not enough to call it remake. So by definition not in this case.

For me I go even further, and new versions of books are not necessarily remakes, only if they are more based on the earlier films then on the novel.

The Getaway of the 90s is doubtless a remake of the Peckinpah film. The MGM Ben Hur of 1959 was a remake of the silent version, the most recent version not, or at least not so much.
I'm well aware that there are idiots who try to draw distinctions between movies based on written sources and movies based on other movies and movies based on written sources that somehow ignore an intervening film. Please spare me these arguments. These are ultimately distinctions without a difference and I call BS on the whole enterprise.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19874 : August 04, 2021, 05:26:30 AM »

He he, but I think in this case you are in the minority with your opinion.

: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1332  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines