Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2022, 10:01:02 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1356
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4526181 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20145 : January 07, 2022, 10:09:29 AM »

Geena P. (1992) - 0/10
Worst. Ever.

« : January 07, 2022, 10:12:22 AM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #20146 : January 07, 2022, 10:13:09 AM »

Geena P. (1992) - 0/10
Worst. Ever.
as long as she's rated lower than paul

Paper Moon (1973) - 8/10
Never saw this, so figured I'd make use of Peter's death to do so. Really really good. Now maybe I should also take the moment to finally watch In the Heat of the Night?

« : January 07, 2022, 10:32:58 AM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20147 : January 10, 2022, 04:53:03 PM »

Hard Target (1993) - 7/10. "Brand new 4K restoration" [yeah, yeah] "of the unrated international cut" [Zzzzzzzzzzzz . . .] "from a 4K scan of the OCN" [say WHAT???]--man, no wonder this new Blu is a thing of beauty. I guess there's a UHD disc coming as well, but this Blu will be enough for me. Hard the believe they made the film 30 years ago. Huh, the last time I watched it it was on LD! I guess this is the last version I'll ever buy--KL has done it again.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20148 : January 11, 2022, 03:50:00 AM »

as long as she's rated lower than paul

Paper Moon (1973) - 8/10
Never saw this, so figured I'd make use of Peter's death to do so. Really really good. Now maybe I should also take the moment to finally watch In the Heat of the Night?

yes

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20149 : January 11, 2022, 05:55:19 AM »

Piranha 3D (2010).  Filmed at Lake Havasu, and I've been there, so I watched.  Great use of Richard Dreyfuss at the beginning as a fisherman, parodying "Jaws", even singing the same song "Show me the way to go home...."

However, I cannot really recommend this film  (3/10).

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20150 : January 12, 2022, 02:18:37 AM »

Piranha 3D (2010).  Filmed at Lake Havasu, and I've been there, so I watched.  Great use of Richard Dreyfuss at the beginning as a fisherman, parodying "Jaws", even singing the same song "Show me the way to go home...."

However, I cannot really recommend this film  (3/10).

I think it is great fun. The usual cliches are used by purpose, and it is far less dumb than it seems to be.

« : January 12, 2022, 04:57:35 AM stanton »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20151 : January 12, 2022, 04:41:01 AM »

Also the 3D version lets you see a cut off penis floating toward you. More immersive than Gravity.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20152 : January 13, 2022, 08:22:21 AM »

The French Dispatch (2021) - 6/10. Funny. Until it's not. Anderson's got his schtick and he's just gonna keep using it. I really enjoyed the first story, less so the second, I had to get up and move around during the third piece. The three parts may all be equally good, but the overall approach is wearing. I wish Wes could change things up from time to time. Still, there were a couple things that still have me chuckling the next morning. My favorite gag: the film is in both color and b&w; the setting is France, so whenever we get a color sequence it is purposely timed in favor of orange and teal. Geddit? France. What's Eclair gonna do, the film already has their signature colors? Ha ha.

« : January 13, 2022, 11:00:55 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20153 : January 17, 2022, 04:46:28 AM »

The Green Knight

Directed by   David Lowery
Screenplay by   David Lowery
Based on   Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous
Produced by   Toby Halbrooks, James M. Johnston, David Lowery, Tim Headington, Theresa Steele Page
Starring   Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury, Sean Harris, Ralph Ineson
Cinematography   Andrew Droz Palermo
Edited by   David Lowery
Music by   Daniel Hart
Production companies   Ley Line Entertainment, Bron Creative, Wild Atlantic Pictures, Sailor Bear
Distributed by   A24, Lionsgate (Digital)
Release date   July 30, 2021 (United States)
Running time   130 minutes
Countries   United States, Canada
Language   English
Budget   $15 million
Box office   $18.9 million
Available on Amazon Prime

Yes, THAT green knight. Is that enough, Stanton ? Anyway: 6/10. Sometimes gorgeous, sometimes cheap. Especially when the CGI become too ambitious. It starts off pretty bad, with collections of vignets that fail to craft scenes. It gets better as it goes while the story leads to actual scenes. It's pretty hard to figure out what is happening most of the time (Dev Patel doesn't help cause he's playing with 3 expressions so deciphering his character is more of a cerebral game than watching a character), and once you get it, it happens to be way too simple. But that movie is ambitious: it isn't trying to be meta about mythology like people like Robert Eggers are doing, it's trying to be actual, modern mythology. I don't think it has enough to say to succeed but I applaud the try. I'm happy to have seen it and I'm happy it exists, I don't think I'll try again anytime soon. But who knows.

If you haven't seen anything by Lowery I'd suggest A Ghost Story that's both way simpler and way more radical. Its simplicity makes it exactly what it's supposed to be, while the Green Knight seems to be punching above it's weight.

« : January 17, 2022, 04:50:26 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20154 : January 17, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »

Y?all may have heard a Muslim terrorist took hostages at a Jewish temple in Texas on Saturday. Thank God everything turned out ok, the hostages got out and the terrorist was shot dead. (Sorry, n_l.)

I was with Miss Baltimore and we were talking about what movies to watch Saturday night, I was thinking about hostage-taking, so we watched Inside Man and Dog Day Afternoon. I have seen both a few times, both really good movies.

« : January 18, 2022, 03:33:46 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20155 : January 17, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »

I don't like Inside Man. Nothing against it, nothing for it. I've never been impressed by Spike Lee. I think it's on Prime these days.

Dog Day Afternoon keeps getting better after 10 viewings. I have no idea when I first watched it, I feel like I've always known that movie.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20156 : January 17, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »

For me the other way round. Inside Man is a very clever thriller, while DDA is less interesting nowadays.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20157 : January 17, 2022, 12:58:49 PM »

The Green Knight

Directed by   David Lowery
Screenplay by   David Lowery
Based on   Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous
Produced by   Toby Halbrooks, James M. Johnston, David Lowery, Tim Headington, Theresa Steele Page
Starring   Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury, Sean Harris, Ralph Ineson
Cinematography   Andrew Droz Palermo
Edited by   David Lowery
Music by   Daniel Hart
Production companies   Ley Line Entertainment, Bron Creative, Wild Atlantic Pictures, Sailor Bear
Distributed by   A24, Lionsgate (Digital)
Release date   July 30, 2021 (United States)
Running time   130 minutes
Countries   United States, Canada
Language   English
Budget   $15 million
Box office   $18.9 million
Available on Amazon Prime

Yes, THAT green knight. Is that enough, Stanton ?

I like that, maybe a bit overdone, but only a bit. (the language needn't be named)

I also noticed that all the others changed nothing ... sigh ...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20158 : January 18, 2022, 01:21:42 AM »

The Gambler (1974) 7/10. A literature professor (James Caan) with a gambling addiction alienates loved ones as he plays a game of brinksmanship with mobsters. The basis for the 2014 movie of the same title, this is the less interesting of the two films as it pretty much just limns the conventions of a self-destructive-behavior story (the new film is more Dostoyevskian (until it isn't)). There are pleasures to be had here, though, including cameos by Jimmy Woods, Stuart Margolin, M. Emmet Walsh, and Vic Tayback. Meatier roles go to Paul Sorvino and Lauren Hutton. Also of interest is period location work in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Jersey, and, for a brief moment, Vegas. Free streaming available to amazon Prime members: http://www.amazon.com/Gambler-James-Caan/dp/B005DNPEZA/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-2&qid=1419732018

This pretty much sums up my thoughts, but I haven't seen the 2014 version. The Gambler '74 greatly benefits from its cast and it being a 70's movie -- I wish more of the movie was set in 70's Vegas. As much as a I love 80's movies, this material doesn't work as well a decade later without a creative director that could capture the seediness of NYC. Someone like a Schrader, or ideally Scorsese.

I don't like Inside Man. Nothing against it, nothing for it. I've never been impressed by Spike Lee. I think it's on Prime these days.

Dog Day Afternoon keeps getting better after 10 viewings. I have no idea when I first watched it, I feel like I've always known that movie.
I'm with you on Dog Day Afternoon, it's a lot better than I remembered. Lumet went from being a stagy, stuffy, arguably boring director to making very liberated, cinematic movies by the 70's.

As for Spike Lee, I liked 25th Hour, but it's been too long since I've seen it. And I need to see Clockers again. But I agree with you there again.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20159 : January 18, 2022, 01:38:12 AM »

For Spike Lee, I don't care much for his films, but Inside Man (9/10) never feels like a Spike Lee joint, and actually The 25th Hour (8/10) also not that much.

I rewatched his "classic" Do the Right Thing last year, and it was nothing special, quite watchable yes, entertaining yes, but nothing I want to have on my shelf. 7/10

: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1356  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines