Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:46:22 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5045829 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20835 : August 06, 2023, 02:47:50 AM »

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (2021) - 9/10. Three separate stories, Rohmer style, written by the director, about women and their relationships.

The last story, and the best, is set in Sendai. Two women meet by chance and try to renew an acquaintance after a separation of twenty years. Then they discover that they were both mistaken; they in fact don't know each other, have never met before. What happens next is amazing. (Drive My Car also explores the therapeutic effects of role playing.) And it's all talk, talk, talk.
In Sendai today, I stood on the actual escalator on which the two women in the third story meet. Chills! I had chills! (Well, not really, the temp today is in the 90s).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #20836 : August 06, 2023, 12:10:01 PM »

From Nagasaki to Sendai. You?re really touring the country!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20837 : August 07, 2023, 04:14:06 AM »

From Nagasaki to Sendai. You?re really touring the country!
Got a JR Rail Pass and I'm gonna use it! (Rates go up 40% in October).

Sarvam Thaala Mayam [Rhythm is Everywhere]
(2018) - 8/10. What Rockers did for reggae, this film does for Carnatic music. The plot is a bit shopworn (IMDb: "A mridangam* maker's son, who aspires to learn the instrument from a maestro and become a mridangam player, has to cross social and personal barriers to reach his goal."), a gratuitous love story is squeezed in, and there's too much of a resemblance at the end to Slumdog Millionaire, but man, the music raises the enterprise to a near transcendental level. Also there's a hilarious late-story road-trip montage that is almost psychedelic: You Will Believe That a Film Can Have You OD-ing on Ethnic Signifiers. There's some extra-textual fun also included: before the beginning of the movie, apparently by government edict, two messages appear, one about the dangers of smoking, and one about the dangers of drinking alcohol. Then during the film, whenever a scene depicts characters engaging in either practice, a tiny sign appears in the lower right-hand side of the screen to repeat the appropriate warning. Cracked me up every time. And, strangely, even though there was one (rather chaste) lovemaking scene in the film, no warning appeared about unprotected sex and the dangers of STDs! Some bureaucrat missed a chance there.

*a mridangam is an oblong drum with heads on opposing sides;  a player must cradle the drum in his lap while using both hands to beat the two heads simultaneously.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20838 : August 07, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »

Kill Bill Vol. 1&2 (QT, 2003 2004) - 6/10
I'm on a full QT rerun. I still don't like these two movies a lot but they're fun enough for me to keep rewatching them so i'm not giving them bad grades. The reason why apart from a couple of action scenes the Madsen part is by far the best part of the two movies is that right there, for almost one hour, Tarantino is more interested in what is going on in the scenes than by imitating other movies. Let's be clear: i have absolutely nothing against stealing everything you can, and I don't even have the slightest thing against paying homages. But the MAIN interest of a scene/line/shot should never ever be the homage or the imitation. It should still work alone. Which isn't the case with most of Kill Bill.

Insomnia (C. Nolan, 2002) - 4/10
I now know why I had no memory of this: you cannot go more generic (but you can definitely edit better).

Inland Empire (David Lynch, 2006) - 6/10
Had seen it once in theater at the time. Rough draft for his masterpiece, Twin Peaks the return.

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Fede ?lvarez, 2018) - 3/10
This is the semi official follow up of Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it sucks. I thought it wouldn't be great but would at least feature gripping scene, considering what Alvarez had done with Don't Breathe... Forget it, never watch this crap.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20839 : August 08, 2023, 06:49:49 AM »

La lune dans le caniveau aka The Moon In The Gutter (1983) French Twilight Zone Neo Noir Nightmare. Directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix (Diva) starring G?rard Depardieu, Nastassja Kinski, Victoria Abril.

"Don't look for sense in these things Nightmares don't make sense " (Eddie Muller - ASK EDDIE - August 3 2023)

The original cut was supposedly 4 hours which I surmise is maybe why with the Gaumont cut they went the nightmare route. It's visually mesmerizing part of the "cinema du look" period in 1980s. 9/10

Intro of Victoria Abril: https://youtu.be/4eEn8HNUDvM

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20840 : August 08, 2023, 07:30:33 AM »

"Oppenheimer" 2023.   wasn't overly impressed by this.  Yes, there are some deep morality issues, but we found this confusing and over-rated.  I'd give 6/10. And I think this could've been done in 2 hours instead of three.

Right now we're in the middle of watching the series "1883" from 2021.  This is very good, and worth watching.  Isabel May does a great job too as the teenage gal/narrator.  I don't know enough about that time period, but think maybe it should've been in 1873 rather than 1883.

« : August 08, 2023, 05:16:10 PM Cusser »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20841 : August 08, 2023, 07:48:41 AM »

"Oppenheimer" 2023.   wasn't overly impressed by this.  Yes, there are some deep morality issues, but we found this confusing and over-rated.  I'd give 6/10. And I think this could've been done in 2 hours instead of three.

Right now we're in the middle of watching the series "1883" from 2021.  This is very good, and worth watching.  Isabel May does a great job too as the teenage gal/narrator.  I don't know enough about that time period, but think maybe it should've been in 1973 rather than 1883.

If they're using Colt Peacemakers it would be more believable to  have it set sometime after 1873

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20842 : August 08, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »

If they're using Colt Peacemakers it would be more believable to  have it set sometime after 1873
I don't know revolvers. 

And I don't know how many railroads crossed to the west in 1883, but in first episode some settlers said the train to Oregon from Texas/wherever was expensive.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20843 : August 13, 2023, 09:45:02 AM »

The Truman Show (1998) - This one takes a nosedive around an hour in. The first hour is rather well done, and the silent film influence is very strong with all the use of irus shots. However, the movie takes the least interesting route after the hour mark and doesn't spend enough time with the Truman character, who seems a little too okay with all of the betrayal. His wife just leaves or quits the show, and there's no payoff with his mother or best friend. It was also a mistake for the character to just leave the Truman Show world at the end and not enter the real world, if even for 10-15 minutes. This is one of those movies you want to get better after not having seen it in a long time, but it's a flawed almost classic, or should have been classic. C+

A League of Their Own (1992) - In spite of this being a little too schmaltzy for my taste at times, this has held up rather well. It's shot in scope, and while not brilliantly shot, the period piece elements are believable enough and this contains the rare Hans Zimmer score that I rather like -- though I could have done without "Now & Forever" and the Madonna song at the end added to the movie's soundtrack.

But the lead has been buried here, this is the Geena Davis and Tom Hanks show, and probably their best career performances. Davis has the screen presence of a Gary Cooper or a John Wayne when shot by John Ford in this movie. She's absolutely electric, and it's crazy how her career never panned out the way it should have. As for Hanks, this is probably the best use of his comedic sensibilities and his everyman likability in dramas that made him an A+ lister in the coming years.

As for the baseball scenes, they also hold up better than you'd think for a bunch of actresses 30 years ago -- sans Madonna While I do think that the movie could have played it a little less Hollywood at times, and ditched scenes like an impromptu professional dance off in a sailor bar, this is a classic in many ways, and belongs in the sports movie HOF. B+

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20844 : August 13, 2023, 10:03:15 AM »

The Truman Show (1998) - This one takes a nosedive around an hour in. The first hour is rather well done, and the silent film influence is very strong with all the use of irus shots. However, the movie takes the least interesting route after the hour mark and doesn't spend enough time with the Truman character, who seems a little too okay with all of the betrayal. His wife just leaves or quits the show, and there's no payoff with his mother or best friend. It was also a mistake for the character to just leave the Truman Show world at the end and not enter the real world, if even for 10-15 minutes. This is one of those movies you want to get better after not having seen it in a long time, but it's a flawed almost classic, or should have been classic. C+

One of those movies that have such a strong concept that everybody involved in it relies too much on the concept. Another explaination is that they were afraid of spoiling the universality of that story by adding actual characters or a something like a real world. Even the critics were way too interested in the concept at the time and spent countless lines of text in awe of the pilopophy behind it, of the resonnance with our society, and forgot to discuss (or even actually watch) the movie itself.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20845 : August 13, 2023, 10:17:45 AM »

One of those movies that have such a strong concept that everybody involved in it relies too much on the concept. Another explaination is that they were afraid of spoiling the universality of that story by adding actual characters or a something like a real world. Even the critics were way too interested in the concept at the time and spent countless lines of text in awe of the pilopophy behind it, of the resonnance with our society, and forgot to discuss (or even actually watch) the movie itself.

I like Ed Harris more than the next person, but it was such a mistake for the movie to shift so much focus to his character. It's almost impressive how the movie doesn't take any chances in Act III. Nothing really happens.

Also, the choice of constantly cutting to random TV viewers watching the show made the movie feel really cheap. A few years before, Tommy Boy hilariously pokes fun at this trope by having minor characters they interacted with earlier in the movie change the channel instead of watching Farley's character confront Aykroyd's on live TV.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20846 : August 13, 2023, 04:45:08 PM »

A League of Their Own (1992)
I always liked the fact the Japanese title for this film is "The Pretty League."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20847 : August 13, 2023, 11:52:35 PM »

Tangled (2010) - 6/10. Disney's take on Rapunzel. I was blissfully unaware of this animated feature until about two weeks ago, but now I've seen it four times. Yes, I've been babysitting my granddaughter. I've also had to watch most of Frozen (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) and have twice had to sit through The Little Mermaid (execrable), but for some reason Tangled is the favored title. It's actually easier to take then most Disney films. For one thing, it has two characters, one, a sidekick, and another, an antagonist (who later transforms into a buddy), neither of whom ever speak. They spend the whole film mugging and it works pretty well (and cuts down on some of the usual obnoxious Disney Dialog). Also, the plotting isn't bad, with some imaginative rewriting to the original Grimm story (they get out of the tower and go on the road). Finally, there are a lot of visual references to Maxfield Parrish paintings, which cleverly repurposes works I never cared for to help provide an appropriate Once Upon a Time setting. It allows me to play Spot the Quotation, anyway. So I'm sure I'll be able to endure a fifth, sixth, maybe even a seventh or eighth viewing of this Family Friendly Flick.
I think I'm up to about ten viewings now. This is the greatest film ever made! I've also now seen the follow-up short, Tangled Ever After, a kind of epilogue, featuring the two best characters of the feature (Max and the Chameleon). That one I've only watched twice, so I'll have to get going on those repeat viewings.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20848 : August 14, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »

Trespass (1992) - Boetticher in the hood, and prime Walter Hill's last stand. It's a flawed classic with some logic issues, and a camcorder motif that is illogical and looks stupid, but this was written by the Bob's (Zemeckis & Gale), scored by Ry Cooder and was directed by the aforementioned Walter Hill with a good cast. While it may only live up to 80% of that promise and the climax is disappointing, everything leading up to the climax is a really fun ride. B

« : August 14, 2023, 08:38:05 AM T.H. »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20849 : August 15, 2023, 06:34:03 AM »

Right now we're in the middle of watching the series "1883" from 2021.  This is very good, and worth watching.  Isabel May does a great job too as the teenage gal/narrator.  I don't know enough about that time period, but think maybe it should've been in 1873 rather than 1883.

Finished this last night (10 episodes).  In the extras, the creator Taylor Sheridan said he was trying to make as authentic as possible.  The Indians in this looked and rode well, spoke pretty good English (much better than Tonto), and there were quite a few bandits on the way to confront traveling settlers; if true, I haven't seen this much in other westerns...

: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines