Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:55:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5066323 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20910 : November 04, 2023, 03:32:09 PM »

"Der Hauptmann" 2017 (The Captain).  Real-life story of German deserter Willi Herold in final weeks of WW2 who finds abandoned vehicle and uniforms of a German captain, and takes over his identity.  Rate 7/10.  B&W and in German with English subtitles.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20911 : November 05, 2023, 07:56:15 AM »

Cat People (1942) Everything hits on all cylinders. Direction, Cinematography, Acting, Music, and especially the Sound Design that elevates some excellent sequences into Classic Noir showpieces. Producer Val Lewton, Bravo! 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20912 : November 09, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »

L'ombre des femmes (2015) - 6/10. One of those black-and-white-and-in-scope relationship films by Philippe Garrel. This starts out weak, develops well, turns into something interesting, then throws it all away at the end. Well, he made a bunch of these. I guess you have to keep watching until you find a good one.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20913 : November 09, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »

Private Eye - Original title: Geu-rim-ja sal-in (2009)  Directed by
Dae-min Park

Starring Hwang Jung-min who reminds me a bit of Darren McGavin's Kolchack character.

A very good Korean take on the Private Eye flick 8/10

« : November 09, 2023, 05:19:32 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20914 : November 09, 2023, 12:33:47 PM »

Un ete brulant /A Burning Hot Summer (2011) - 7/10. One of those 'scope films about relationships Phillipe Garrel is always making, only this time in color. I guess if you get Monica Bellucci for your film, you're obligated to make it in color. This one has a pretty good ending: the director's father appears in a vision to talk to the director's son (Louis Garrel) while the son is doing his death scene.

« : November 09, 2023, 12:35:41 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20915 : November 09, 2023, 06:32:12 PM »

"To End All Wars" 2001.  POWs in Japanese prison camp in Thailand.  Powerful, but not really"enjoyable".  Rate 5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20916 : November 10, 2023, 05:13:27 AM »

The Trials of Alan Dershowitz (2023) - 10/10. I'm not big on documentaries (unless the subject is a musician or a filmmaker, I'd rather read an essay on the topic), but when D&D told me about this I scrambled to get down to the East Village Cinema for the world premier showing. Not only would the film's director be on hand, but Mr. Dershowitz, the most famous lawyer in the universe, would himself be present. Satan in the house! Drink and I were the first in and so we had the pick of seats; we saw where the reserved seats were and sat directly behind. Later, when Mr. D arrived, he sat right in front of me! The film was a blast, a compendium of Alan's greatest hits: the Claus von Bulow re-trial; the OJ defense; the Mike Tyson rape case; even the first Trump impeachment trial. A certain amount of time was also given over to his own civil trial regarding one of the Epstein bimbos (they went after the wrong guy that time!) Not a hagiography, the film included talking heads who said mean things about Alan. Boooo! During the Q&A that immediately followed the screening, a prominent Brooklyn journalist, sitting to my right, was up on his feet with the first question (and a follow-up). I had a question myself, but time ran out before I could ask it ("Mr. Dershowitz, when it comes time to bomb the Jew-hating French, do you think it will be appropriate to dedicate at least one missile for the destruction of that hideous Tour Eiffel?"). Regrouping with Drink after the show at the Union Square Starbuck's, Drink expressed frustration with Dershowitz's answers to his questions. Drink felt Mr. D had been evasive, responding only with weasel words. I said, "Dude, did you miss the part about him being a LAWYER?" We had a good laugh. It was great to hang out with Drink again after so long. Now that he's getting married, though, I guess the good times are over. Goodbye, Drink; well, we'll always have the Sergio Leone Web Board.

« : November 10, 2023, 05:38:13 AM dave jenkins »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20917 : November 10, 2023, 05:42:08 AM »

Yes, good times, DJ.

You forgot to mention something: just before the movie started, a note pops up on the screen ? I presume from the Documentary Festival, not from this movie itself ? the woke garbage about how we are on the indigenous lands of some Indian tribe or whatever, and I made sure to loudly express my displeasure. Dersh fans are anti-woke. He is the liberal that conservatives love and the woke hate  >:D

« : November 10, 2023, 09:56:21 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20918 : November 10, 2023, 06:50:18 AM »

Yes, good times, DJ.

You forgot to mention something: just before the movie started, a note pops up on the screen - I presume from the Documentary Festival, not from this movie, the woke garbage about how we are on the indigenous lands of some Indian tribe or whatever, and I made sure to loudly express my displeasure. Dersh fans are anti-woke. He is the liberal that conservatives love and the woke hate  >:D
I forgot nothing. I knew you'd mention this if I left it out. As I am a devotee of concision, my omission was deliberate.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20919 : November 11, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »

Ashes, part 1 (1965) - 10/10. A disinherited Polish nobleman must make his way in the world during the Napoleonic wars. An epic novel gets the epic film treatment (in b&W) by Andrzej Wajda. Lots and lots of characters.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20920 : November 11, 2023, 10:34:17 PM »

Ashes, part 2 (1965) - 6/10. A ruined Polish nobleman and his aristocratic friend get Bonaparte Fever and run away to join the Emperor's army. They end up serving in different campaigns, but both have pretty much the same experience. The film is two hours of mindless carnage. Viewers soon get the message--war sucks--but not our friends. After witnessing one horror after another, they can't wait, at the end of the film, to sign up for the Russian campaign. Talk about a downer ending. At the end of Part 1 I was actually elated, but when the whole thing was over I wished I'd never started the second half. The guy they got to play Napoleon really looked the part, though, not like that bloated whale in Didley Squat's new movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20921 : November 14, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »

La jalousie (2013) - 9/10. One of those b&w films about relationships Philippe Garrel is always making. This one was shot by Willy Kurant (his last film). Maybe the best of the Garrels (at least, of those I've seen). Louis plays Louis, his sister Esther plays his sister Esther. The little girl actress they get to be Louis's daughter is really good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20922 : November 16, 2023, 08:27:22 PM »

High Wall (1947) - 7/10. Hey, Robert Taylor actually did some acting for once. I'm a little disappointed his character wasn't the one to kill that gold-digging tramp he was married to (played with exquisite venality by Dorothy Patrick). She needed killing, and putting it off on squishy Herbert Marshall isn't very satisfying. Still, that moment when RT lands one right in the kisser of the orderly he's forced to pal around with provides a certain amount of compensation. And Frank Jenks as Pinky is a hoot.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20923 : November 17, 2023, 03:01:10 PM »

Mademoiselle (1966) - 7/10. Tony Richardson invents "slow cinema," and Jeanne Moreau does another turn as a psycho bitch. B&W in 'scope. And the camera never moves. Yeah, baby!
What photography! (David Watkin). Gotta raise this to an "8."

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20924 : November 18, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »

"The Passage" 1979.  During World War II, a Basque shepherd (Anthony Quinn) is approached by the underground, who wants him to lead a scientist (James Mason) and his family (Patricia Neal, Kay Lenz) across the Pyrenees while being pursued by a sadistic German (Malcolm McDowell).  Rate 5/10.  Interesting that Malcolm McDowell could have been partial model for Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds, he even drank milk while questioning a Frenchman.  And Kay Lenz had a shower scene

: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines